TSP Installation for Outlook

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBHcmVlbg==?=

      8th Nov 2005
Some while back someone posted a question on how to make a TSP the default
Phone Device. One can do it by modifying the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPr┬*imary
but I'd like a better way.
Currently the user has to click Dialing Options, scroll down to my TSP and
select it.

Andreas Marschall [MVP TAPI]

      8th Nov 2005
"Alan Green" <Alan (E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some while back someone posted a question on how to make a TSP the default
> Phone Device. One can do it by modifying the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPr*im
ary
> but I'd like a better way.
> Currently the user has to click Dialing Options, scroll down to my TSP and
> select it.

Alan,
there is nothing like a default TSP or default phone device in TAPI or in the
OS.
_Each_ TAPI app may proprietary select a device to be _its_ default.
It depends entirely upon the app how to do this.
In addition please note that some TSPs expose multiple devices.

Btw. what are you asking for?
How to select programmatically a default device for Outlook?
Then you already posted the answer: you can programmatically change it via
programmatically changing the registry.
What do you regard as "a better way"?

--
Best Regards
Andreas Marschall

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBHcmVlbg==?=

      8th Nov 2005
Hello Andreas

Thanks for your answer. You've cleared some concepts up for me - mainly that
what I need is an Outlook setting, and not a TAPI setting.

The reason why I'd prefer to use an API to change the Outlook setting in the
registry is that the key I am changing is not documented. Also, the path is
different for every version of Office.
I cross posted to microsoft.public.outlook.interop - I hope that is the best
group.

Alan

"Andreas Marschall [MVP TAPI]" wrote:
> Alan,
> there is nothing like a default TSP or default phone device in TAPI or in the
> OS.
> _Each_ TAPI app may proprietary select a device to be _its_ default.
> It depends entirely upon the app how to do this.
> In addition please note that some TSPs expose multiple devices.
>
> Btw. what are you asking for?
> How to select programmatically a default device for Outlook?
> Then you already posted the answer: you can programmatically change it via
> programmatically changing the registry.
> What do you regard as "a better way"?

daan

      30th Jun 2009

Can someone tell me how the value of the regkey
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\outlook\contacts\PhoneDevPrimary
is formed? Because its different on some computers with the same tapi driver
and the same version of outlook.
I need to know this because we are looking for a way in our company to
automatically set the right driver as default.

"Alan Green" wrote:

> Some while back someone posted a question on how to make a TSP the default
> Phone Device. One can do it by modifying the registry key
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPr┬*imary
> but I'd like a better way.
> Currently the user has to click Dialing Options, scroll down to my TSP and
> select it.

Matthias Moetje [MVP]

      4th Jul 2009
Alan,

I just checked and suspect that this value is a combination of
the permanent provider ID and the line number.

Best regards,

Matthias Moetje
-------------------------------------
TAPI WIKI: http://www.tapi.info
-------------------------------------
TERASENS GmbH
Augustenstra▀e 24
80333 Munich, GERMANY
-------------------------------------
e-mail: moetje at terasens dot com
www: www.terasens.com
-------------------------------------

"daan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone tell me how the value of the regkey
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\outlook\contacts\PhoneDevPrimary
> is formed? Because its different on some computers with the same tapi
> driver
> and the same version of outlook.
> I need to know this because we are looking for a way in our company to
> automatically set the right driver as default.
>

> "Alan Green" wrote:
>
>> Some while back someone posted a question on how to make a TSP the
>> default
>> Phone Device. One can do it by modifying the registry key
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPr*imary
>> but I'd like a better way.
>> Currently the user has to click Dialing Options, scroll down to my TSP
>> and
>> select it.

daan

      7th Jul 2009

Mathias,

I'm sorry but IÔÇÖm kind of new in this matter.
Can u tell me where I can find the permanent provider ID and the line number
Any id how you come from those two to the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPrimary number?

Goal is to create a vbscript that create this regkey with the correct value
on different pc's. So I need to know where to find the input and how the
input is processed.

Thx in advance

Daan

"Matthias Moetje [MVP]" wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I just checked and suspect that this value is a combination of
> the permanent provider ID and the line number.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Matthias Moetje
> -------------------------------------
> TAPI WIKI: http://www.tapi.info
> -------------------------------------
> TERASENS GmbH
> Augustenstrae 24
> 80333 Munich, GERMANY
> -------------------------------------
> e-mail: moetje at terasens dot com
> www: www.terasens.com
> -------------------------------------
>

> "daan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can someone tell me how the value of the regkey
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\outlook\contacts\PhoneDevPrimary
> > is formed? Because its different on some computers with the same tapi
> > driver
> > and the same version of outlook.
> > I need to know this because we are looking for a way in our company to
> > automatically set the right driver as default.
> >

> > "Alan Green" wrote:
> >
> >> Some while back someone posted a question on how to make a TSP the
> >> default
> >> Phone Device. One can do it by modifying the registry key
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPrimary
> >> but I'd like a better way.
> >> Currently the user has to click Dialing Options, scroll down to my TSP
> >> and
> >> select it.

Andreas Marschall [exMVP TAPI]

      7th Jul 2009

"daan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can u tell me where I can find the permanent provider ID and the line
> number
> Any id how you come from those two to the
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPrimary
> number?
>
> Goal is to create a vbscript that create this regkey with the correct
> value
> on different pc's. So I need to know where to find the input and how the
> input is processed.

Daan,
neither the dwPermanentProviderID nor the dwPermanentLineID (nor the
dwDeviceID) are constant when you compare two PCs.
You cannot even be sure that a provider, i.e. TSP, or a line device is
present on the other PC.

Are you always working with the same TSP?
If so, what TSP is it?

--
Best Regards
Andreas Marschall
* Please post all messages and replies to the newsgroup so all may
* benefit from the discussion. Private mail is usually not replied to.
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

daan

      7th Jul 2009

Andreas,

We are working with the tapi driver of siemens. (IP telefony) The thing we
are trying to accomplish is that in outlook automatically our cap server is
selected if we dial from our contacts. We already found out that it was set
by this regkey
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPrimary.

Now i was trying to make a script so we can set this right on each pc. But
this key changes on various computers.

Because the value varies i hoped there was some logic behind it so we could
still write a script to make it work. For example:
Reed in two regkey in a variable, add them together ore whatever needs to be
done and use the output to write to the above key.

Is something like this possible?

Kind regards

Daan

"Andreas Marschall [exMVP TAPI]" wrote:

> "daan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can u tell me where I can find the permanent provider ID and the line
> > number
> > Any id how you come from those two to the
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Contact\PhoneDevPrimary
> > number?
> >
> > Goal is to create a vbscript that create this regkey with the correct
> > value
> > on different pc's. So I need to know where to find the input and how the
> > input is processed.

> Daan,
> neither the dwPermanentProviderID nor the dwPermanentLineID (nor the
> dwDeviceID) are constant when you compare two PCs.
> You cannot even be sure that a provider, i.e. TSP, or a line device is
> present on the other PC.
>
> Are you always working with the same TSP?
> If so, what TSP is it?
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Andreas Marschall
> Microsoft MVP for TAPI / Windows SDK / Visual C++ 2003-2008
> TAPI / TSP Developer and Tester
> My TAPI and TSPI FAQ:
> http://www.I-B-A-M.de/Andreas_Marschall's_TAPI_and_TSPI_FAQ.htm
> My Toto® Tools (a collection of free, mostly TAPI related tools):
> http://www.i-b-a-m.de/Andreas_Marschall's_Toto_Tools.htm
> TAPI development around the world (Frappr! map):
> http://www.frappr.com/TAPIaroundTheWorld
> * Please post all messages and replies to the newsgroup so all may
> * benefit from the discussion. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.

Matthias Moetje [MVP]

      8th Jul 2009
Alan,

first thing: With VBScript you cannot use TAPI2. Instead you need to use
TAPI3.

To get the permanent provider ID of the Siemens TSP you need to enumerate
addresses and then check the ServiceProviderName property of ITAddress for
"hipath.tsp" (or similar).

Please note that there may be several addresses driven by the same TSP, so
you might need to use additional logic to find the currect one. A TAPI3
address is actually "a TAPI2 address on a certain line driven by a certain
TSP".

To get the permanten provider id you need to check AC_PERMANENTDEVICEID with
the ITAddressCapabilities interface on the address. To get the line id, use
AC_LINEID.

Best regards,

Matthias Moetje
TAPI WIKI: http://www.tapi.info