TS License requirements

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iUw==?=

      10th Jan 2005
I recently acquired an account that has a Windows 2000 Terminal Server
running for their remote offices. The person that had the account previously
said that there were no additional Terminal Server licenses required because
all of the remote systems are running Windows XP Pro. He indicated that the
XP Pro had TS CAL's built in. Is this infact the case. If I add addtional
remote stations (running XP Pro is there anything I need to do to keep things
up-to-snuff. How do I tell if there are any TS licenses currently on the
system from past remotes that were running Windows 98.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Showalter

=?Utf-8?B?U3BlbmNlcg==?=

      13th Jan 2005
BobS,

With a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Pro
clients do not require a CAL:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...cing/tsfaq.asp

When you upgrade to a Windows 2003 Terminal Server, however, you will need
CAL's for these systems. Your license manager should be able to
automatically detect the Win XP Pro and 2K Pro connections to the Terminal
Server. You can check on what other clients may have accessed the Terminal
Serer by following these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Administrative Tools.
3. Click Terminal Service Items.
4. Double-click Terminal Services Licensing.

Best of luck,

Spencer Ferguson
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.wasatchsoftware.com/terminalservices.htm