TS Admin not working

Kirk Groome

      17th Mar 2004
I have a user that needs to reset sessions on a terminal server. The problem
is that when he runs tsadmin.exe on his workstation it just puts the
program on the taskbar but does nothing else. The client is windows XP Pro,
the server is win 2003. It had been working. Then it started doing this
thing with just putting the icon on the taskbar. I wiped out his profile on
the workstation and then tsadmin worked for about 2 weeks with no problem
and now it is back to doing the same thing.

I know I can wipe out his profile and fix the problem but that is a big pain
as he has alot of other settings that it wipes out when you do that.

Thanks
Kirk Groome
MicroMetric

Olof Lagerkvist

      17th Mar 2004
Kirk Groome wrote:

> I have a user that needs to reset sessions on a terminal server. The problem
> is that when he runs tsadmin.exe on his workstation it just puts the
> program on the taskbar but does nothing else. The client is windows XP Pro,
> the server is win 2003. It had been working. Then it started doing this
> thing with just putting the icon on the taskbar. I wiped out his profile on
> the workstation and then tsadmin worked for about 2 weeks with no problem
> and now it is back to doing the same thing.

Does it work if he right-clicks he icon on the taskbar and selects
"Restore"? I see now that the tsadmin saves window settings so if you
minimize tsadmin and the close it the windows will be minimized on
taskbar when you start it again.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Vera Noest [MVP]

      17th Mar 2004
Logged in as the user, go to this registry key:

HKCU\\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server
\TSADMIN

Delete the "Placement" value and exit Regedit.

Now run the Terminal Services Manager and you should be able to
see it.

The problem is that at some point the TSM window position settings
were saved in a high-resolution session; with it running in a low-
resolution session, those values position it off the viewable
screen.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Kirk Groome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a user that needs to reset sessions on a terminal server.
> The problem is that when he runs tsadmin.exe on his workstation
> it just puts the program on the taskbar but does nothing else.
> The client is windows XP Pro, the server is win 2003. It had
> been working. Then it started doing this thing with just putting
> the icon on the taskbar. I wiped out his profile on the
> workstation and then tsadmin worked for about 2 weeks with no
> problem and now it is back to doing the same thing.
>
> I know I can wipe out his profile and fix the problem but that
> is a big pain as he has alot of other settings that it wipes out
> when you do that.
>
> Thanks
> Kirk Groome
> MicroMetric

Kirk Groome

      22nd Mar 2004
Thank You
That fixed the problem

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Logged in as the user, go to this registry key:
>
> HKCU\\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server
> \TSADMIN
>
> Delete the "Placement" value and exit Regedit.
>
> Now run the Terminal Services Manager and you should be able to
> see it.
>
> The problem is that at some point the TSM window position settings
> were saved in a high-resolution session; with it running in a low-
> resolution session, those values position it off the viewable
> screen.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Kirk Groome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have a user that needs to reset sessions on a terminal server.
> > The problem is that when he runs tsadmin.exe on his workstation
> > it just puts the program on the taskbar but does nothing else.
> > The client is windows XP Pro, the server is win 2003. It had
> > been working. Then it started doing this thing with just putting
> > the icon on the taskbar. I wiped out his profile on the
> > workstation and then tsadmin worked for about 2 weeks with no
> > problem and now it is back to doing the same thing.
> >
> > I know I can wipe out his profile and fix the problem but that
> > is a big pain as he has alot of other settings that it wipes out
> > when you do that.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kirk Groome
> > MicroMetric