Trying to switch from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Professional

=?Utf-8?B?T2x5bXB1c21hbg==?=

      21st Mar 2007
My computer keeps crashing as of late. Whenever I use the internet it doesnt
fail. This started happening after I upgraded from IE6 to IE7. At this
point I have tried everything from Norton, Symantec, Spybot and etc. I am
not finding any viruses. I also cannot locate my Windows XP Home CD. But
the system is slower and I was told that if I try to switch back to Windows
ME which is the original system that I have to take off IE& first. Then from
there I can upgrade to XP Professional and then upgrade to IE7 again. Does
anyone know if this is correct? If it is not can someone give me the
correct way to accomplish the task and get my computer back on the right
track again? Thank you!!!

Gordon

      21st Mar 2007
Olympusman wrote:
> My computer keeps crashing as of late. Whenever I use the internet it doesnt
> fail. This started happening after I upgraded from IE6 to IE7. At this
> point I have tried everything from Norton, Symantec, Spybot and etc. I am
> not finding any viruses. I also cannot locate my Windows XP Home CD. But
> the system is slower and I was told that if I try to switch back to Windows
> ME which is the original system that I have to take off IE& first. Then from
> there I can upgrade to XP Professional and then upgrade to IE7 again. Does
> anyone know if this is correct? If it is not can someone give me the
> correct way to accomplish the task and get my computer back on the right
> track again? Thank you!!!

XP pro is no different "under the hood" from XP Home, so if you are
having problems with Home you will have the same problems with Pro.

Leonard Grey

      21st Mar 2007
What, exactly, do you wish to do?

---
Leonard Grey
Since no one was buying 'Earl Grey'

Olympusman wrote:
> My computer keeps crashing as of late. Whenever I use the internet it doesnt
> fail. This started happening after I upgraded from IE6 to IE7. At this
> point I have tried everything from Norton, Symantec, Spybot and etc. I am
> not finding any viruses. I also cannot locate my Windows XP Home CD. But
> the system is slower and I was told that if I try to switch back to Windows
> ME which is the original system that I have to take off IE& first. Then from
> there I can upgrade to XP Professional and then upgrade to IE7 again. Does
> anyone know if this is correct? If it is not can someone give me the
> correct way to accomplish the task and get my computer back on the right
> track again? Thank you!!!

=?Utf-8?B?T2x5bXB1c21hbg==?=

      21st Mar 2007
I would like to take off home and go to professional. I am not having any
problems with professional and i have the same software on my work computer
as my home computer. I also have IE7 on my work computer.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> What, exactly, do you wish to do?
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Since no one was buying 'Earl Grey'
>
> Olympusman wrote:
> > My computer keeps crashing as of late. Whenever I use the internet it doesnt
> > fail. This started happening after I upgraded from IE6 to IE7. At this
> > point I have tried everything from Norton, Symantec, Spybot and etc. I am
> > not finding any viruses. I also cannot locate my Windows XP Home CD. But
> > the system is slower and I was told that if I try to switch back to Windows
> > ME which is the original system that I have to take off IE& first. Then from
> > there I can upgrade to XP Professional and then upgrade to IE7 again. Does
> > anyone know if this is correct? If it is not can someone give me the
> > correct way to accomplish the task and get my computer back on the right
> > track again? Thank you!!!

Leonard Grey

      21st Mar 2007
As Gordon mentioned, Pro and Home are the identical operating system
except that Pro has additional features useful in a networked
environment. If you need these extra features, legally acquire a Pro CD
and upgrade your copy of Home.

As with any OS upgrade, your existing copy of Windows needs to be
problem free and you need to backup before starting.

To successfully upgrade, the Pro CD needs to have the same service pack
as your installation of Home. For example, if Home is at SP 2, your Pro
CD needs to have SP 2 (or be slipstreamed with SP 2.) Otherwise you'll
have to do a clean install.

If IE 7 is installed on Home see this information:
"How to perform a repair installation of WinXP if IE7 is installed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

---

Olympusman wrote:
> I would like to take off home and go to professional. I am not having any
> problems with professional and i have the same software on my work computer
> as my home computer. I also have IE7 on my work computer.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> What, exactly, do you wish to do?
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Since no one was buying 'Earl Grey'
>>
>> Olympusman wrote:
>>> My computer keeps crashing as of late. Whenever I use the internet it doesnt
>>> fail. This started happening after I upgraded from IE6 to IE7. At this
>>> point I have tried everything from Norton, Symantec, Spybot and etc. I am
>>> not finding any viruses. I also cannot locate my Windows XP Home CD. But
>>> the system is slower and I was told that if I try to switch back to Windows
>>> ME which is the original system that I have to take off IE& first. Then from
>>> there I can upgrade to XP Professional and then upgrade to IE7 again. Does
>>> anyone know if this is correct? If it is not can someone give me the
>>> correct way to accomplish the task and get my computer back on the right
>>> track again? Thank you!!!

Ken Blake, MVP

      21st Mar 2007
Olympusman wrote:

> I would like to take off home and go to professional. I am not
> having any problems with professional and i have the same software on
> my work computer as my home computer. I also have IE7 on my work
> computer.

Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional are *exactly* the same in
stability, because they are exactly the same at their core. the only
difference is that XP Professional has some extra features, mostly related
to networking and security. Unless you need or want those extra features,
going from Home to Professional is a waste of time and money. It will do
nothing for you. Look elsewhere for the source of your problems.

If you work computer is stable and your home computer is not, there are
several possibilities for what the difference is, but the two that are most
likely are

1. Hardware issues on the home computer

2. Malware issues on the home computer.

Despite the anti-virus and anti-spyware software you have run, the
possibility remains that you are infected. However, my guess is that a
hardware issue is most likely.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> What, exactly, do you wish to do?
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Since no one was buying 'Earl Grey'
>>
>> Olympusman wrote:
>>> My computer keeps crashing as of late. Whenever I use the internet
>>> it doesnt fail. This started happening after I upgraded from IE6
>>> to IE7. At this point I have tried everything from Norton,
>>> Symantec, Spybot and etc. I am not finding any viruses. I also
>>> cannot locate my Windows XP Home CD. But the system is slower and
>>> I was told that if I try to switch back to Windows ME which is the
>>> original system that I have to take off IE& first. Then from there
>>> I can upgrade to XP Professional and then upgrade to IE7 again.
>>> Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is not can someone
>>> give me the correct way to accomplish the task and get my computer
>>> back on the right track again? Thank you!!!

=?Utf-8?B?T2x5bXB1c21hbg==?=

      21st Mar 2007
So if you think its a hardware problem what do you suggest I do?

Olympusman wrote:

> So if you think its a hardware problem what do you suggest I do?

You say "My computer keeps crashing as of late." Please provide the details
of the error message(s) you get. When I say I think it's a hardware error,
that's just a guess based on the limited information you've provided. It's
difficult to diagnose at a distance, but it's especially hard without any
real information.

I should also mention that my skills are mostly in software, and I lay no
claims to being a hardware expert. If your problem *is* hardware-related,
somebody else here might be better able to help you than me. But post the
details first

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
>> Olympusman wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to take off home and go to professional. I am not
>>> having any problems with professional and i have the same software
>>> on my work computer as my home computer. I also have IE7 on my work
>>> computer.

>> Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional are *exactly* the same in
>> stability, because they are exactly the same at their core. the only
>> difference is that XP Professional has some extra features, mostly
>> related to networking and security. Unless you need or want those
>> extra features, going from Home to Professional is a waste of time
>> and money. It will do nothing for you. Look elsewhere for the source
>> of your problems.
>>
>> If you work computer is stable and your home computer is not, there
>> are several possibilities for what the difference is, but the two
>> that are most likely are
>>
>> 1. Hardware issues on the home computer
>>
>> 2. Malware issues on the home computer.
>>
>> Despite the anti-virus and anti-spyware software you have run, the
>> possibility remains that you are infected. However, my guess is that
>> a hardware issue is most likely.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

=?Utf-8?B?T2x5bXB1c21hbg==?=

      22nd Mar 2007
Okay last night I tried using Firefox another browser and all went well.
Everything works fine. When I use IE7 thats when the computer crashes and
the CPU usage is at 100%. So more than likely my IE7 is corrupted. HOw can
I repair it or re-install it? Or do you think I should just uninstall IE7
and install IE6 again?

"Olympusman" wrote:

> My computer keeps crashing as of late. Whenever I use the internet it doesnt
> fail. This started happening after I upgraded from IE6 to IE7. At this
> point I have tried everything from Norton, Symantec, Spybot and etc. I am
> not finding any viruses. I also cannot locate my Windows XP Home CD. But
> the system is slower and I was told that if I try to switch back to Windows
> ME which is the original system that I have to take off IE& first. Then from
> there I can upgrade to XP Professional and then upgrade to IE7 again. Does
> anyone know if this is correct? If it is not can someone give me the
> correct way to accomplish the task and get my computer back on the right
> track again? Thank you!!!

=?Utf-8?B?dGNhcnA=?=

      24th Mar 2007

"Olympusman" wrote:

> Okay last night I tried using Firefox another browser and all went well.
> Everything works fine. When I use IE7 thats when the computer crashes and
> the CPU usage is at 100%. So more than likely my IE7 is corrupted. HOw can
> I repair it or re-install it? Or do you think I should just uninstall IE7
> and install IE6 again?

Although my experience was mostly unrelated to your situation when I saw XP
Home, XP Pro, and IE in the post I got shivers.

There's a long series of posts elsewhere in the XP section (not sure I
remember where) that discuss problems I was having with an upgrade from Home
to Pro. The root cause had to do with IE7 having been installed before the
upgrade attempt.

So, if you decide to upgrade from Home to Pro check to see 1) which release
of IE is currently installed, and 2) which version will be installed from the
upgrade CD. In my case I had IE 7 installed but the upgrade tried to install
IE6. The results were not pretty. In fact, ultimately I had to do a clean
install to put things right.

Tom