PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

When I try to print, "Save XPS document window" appears.

 
 
Printing Error with XPS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Aug 2009
When I try to print, "Save XPS document window" appears. Even thoug I save
the file in *xps, the document will not print. Using Office XP in Windows XP.
Started when I uninstalled all of Office and reinstalled just WORD.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott M.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Aug 2009
You need to setup a default printer. Word is trying to "print" to an .xps
document, rather than your actual printer.


"Printing Error with XPS" <Printing Error with
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to print, "Save XPS document window" appears. Even thoug I save
> the file in *xps, the document will not print. Using Office XP in Windows
> XP.
> Started when I uninstalled all of Office and reinstalled just WORD.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Aug 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:08:01 -0700, Printing Error with XPS wrote:

> When I try to print, "Save XPS document window" appears. Even thoug I save
> the file in *xps, the document will not print. Using Office XP in Windows XP.
> Started when I uninstalled all of Office and reinstalled just WORD.


´.xps¡ files are like ´.pdf¡ files. They are neither read nor printed from
Word. Word can only create (save) them through a very special ´printer
driver¡.
If you want to actually print your document from Word, save it as a ´.doc¡
or ´.docx¡ file first.
If you save your document as an ´.xps¡ file, you have to open it in the
dedicated application first, i.e. Internet Explorer. And print it from
there, not from Word.
HTH.
--
Cheers
Robert
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Bentley-Mix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Aug 2009
Robert,

I reckon Scott M. is on the right track. The way I read the it, the OP only
saved the file in .xps format _after_ trying to print it. The behaviour
described looks to me like Word is trying to print to the "Microsoft XPS
Document Writer" - possibly because there are no other printers installed
or because it has been set as the default.

I've run into similar situations when setting up a new computer. If I
install Word before I set up a printer, the "Microsoft Office Document Image
Writer" gets set as the default printer. Then if I install a printer and
forget to set it as the default, Word continues to use this "printer" until
someone complains and I go in and change it.

While it's true that you can't print (as in hardcopy print) .xps or .pdf
documents directly from Word, you can certainly "print" _to_ .xps or .pdf
from within Word - and the dialog that's presented when you do this is a
"Save" dialog. It's bloody confusing because it's not consistent; you don't
'save' in some sort of '.paper' format when you print them on a printer, so
why should you 'save' when you "print" them to .xps or .pdf?
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
membership required!

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9mi12b5d3pv3$.1j5asuoagvkvc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:08:01 -0700, Printing Error with XPS wrote:
>
>> When I try to print, "Save XPS document window" appears. Even thoug I
>> save
>> the file in *xps, the document will not print. Using Office XP in Windows
>> XP.
>> Started when I uninstalled all of Office and reinstalled just WORD.

>
> ´.xps¡ files are like ´.pdf¡ files. They are neither read nor printed from
> Word. Word can only create (save) them through a very special ´printer
> driver¡.
> If you want to actually print your document from Word, save it as a ´.doc¡
> or ´.docx¡ file first.
> If you save your document as an ´.xps¡ file, you have to open it in the
> dedicated application first, i.e. Internet Explorer. And print it from
> there, not from Word.
> HTH.
> --
> Cheers
> Robert


 
Reply With Quote
 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Aug 2009
You "save" to PDF or XPS because Word requires a filename for the new
document that results from the conversion to PDF or XPS format.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Gordon Bentley-Mix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ub7Pf%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert,
>
> I reckon Scott M. is on the right track. The way I read the it, the OP
> only saved the file in .xps format _after_ trying to print it. The
> behaviour described looks to me like Word is trying to print to the
> "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" - possibly because there are no other
> printers installed or because it has been set as the default.
>
> I've run into similar situations when setting up a new computer. If I
> install Word before I set up a printer, the "Microsoft Office Document
> Image Writer" gets set as the default printer. Then if I install a printer
> and forget to set it as the default, Word continues to use this "printer"
> until someone complains and I go in and change it.
>
> While it's true that you can't print (as in hardcopy print) .xps or .pdf
> documents directly from Word, you can certainly "print" _to_ .xps or .pdf
> from within Word - and the dialog that's presented when you do this is a
> "Save" dialog. It's bloody confusing because it's not consistent; you
> don't 'save' in some sort of '.paper' format when you print them on a
> printer, so why should you 'save' when you "print" them to .xps or .pdf?
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Gordon Bentley-Mix
> Word MVP
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.
>
> Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups -
> no membership required!
>
> "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9mi12b5d3pv3$.1j5asuoagvkvc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:08:01 -0700, Printing Error with XPS wrote:
>>
>>> When I try to print, "Save XPS document window" appears. Even thoug I
>>> save
>>> the file in *xps, the document will not print. Using Office XP in
>>> Windows XP.
>>> Started when I uninstalled all of Office and reinstalled just WORD.

>>
>> ´.xps¡ files are like ´.pdf¡ files. They are neither read nor printed
>> from
>> Word. Word can only create (save) them through a very special ´printer
>> driver¡.
>> If you want to actually print your document from Word, save it as a
>> ´.doc¡
>> or ´.docx¡ file first.
>> If you save your document as an ´.xps¡ file, you have to open it in the
>> dedicated application first, i.e. Internet Explorer. And print it from
>> there, not from Word.
>> HTH.
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Robert

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Aug 2009
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:29:33 +1200, Gordon Bentley-Mix wrote:

> While it's true that you can't print (as in hardcopy print) .xps or .pdf
> documents directly from Word, you can certainly "print" _to_ .xps or .pdf
> from within Word - and the dialog that's presented when you do this is a
> "Save" dialog. It's bloody confusing because it's not consistent; you don't
> 'save' in some sort of '.paper' format when you print them on a printer, so
> why should you 'save' when you "print" them to .xps or .pdf?


Hi Gordon,
What I personally find confusing is that a command that doesnÿt actually
print anything is called a ´print to¡ command. It would stand to reason to
name it as a ´save to¡ or ´convert to¡ command. Especially as a new file is
actually ´created¡ (or ´saved¡) in the ´.xps¡ format.
When we are supposed to ´print to .xps¡, nothing gets printed at all. If a
´.xps¡ document is to be ´printed¡ at all, it has to be opened in the
dedicated application (viewer) and actually ´printed¡ from there. This
cannot be done from MS Word. Word only saves the document under the chosen
name and format.
I personally would much prefer having commands that print named as
´printing¡ commands, and commands that only ´save¡ named as ´saving¡
commands.
--
Cheers
Robert
 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham Mayor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Aug 2009
I can understand the confusion, but as far as Word is concerned the process
is 'printing'. The fact that the active driver outputs to a file and not to
paper is really immaterial as Word has no way of establishing the output
format of the active driver. It merely directs the document to it for
processing. Indeed any 'printer' driver can be directed to a file.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>



Robert wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:29:33 +1200, Gordon Bentley-Mix wrote:
>
>> While it's true that you can't print (as in hardcopy print) .xps or
>> .pdf documents directly from Word, you can certainly "print" _to_
>> .xps or .pdf from within Word - and the dialog that's presented when
>> you do this is a "Save" dialog. It's bloody confusing because it's
>> not consistent; you don't 'save' in some sort of '.paper' format
>> when you print them on a printer, so why should you 'save' when you
>> "print" them to .xps or .pdf?

>
> Hi Gordon,
> What I personally find confusing is that a command that doesnÿt
> actually print anything is called a ´print to¡ command. It would
> stand to reason to name it as a ´save to¡ or ´convert to¡ command.
> Especially as a new file is actually ´created¡ (or ´saved¡) in the
> ´.xps¡ format.
> When we are supposed to ´print to .xps¡, nothing gets printed at all.
> If a ´.xps¡ document is to be ´printed¡ at all, it has to be opened
> in the dedicated application (viewer) and actually ´printed¡ from
> there. This cannot be done from MS Word. Word only saves the document
> under the chosen name and format.
> I personally would much prefer having commands that print named as
> ´printing¡ commands, and commands that only ´save¡ named as ´saving¡
> commands.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay Freedman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Aug 2009
I think this is another case of the technologists at MS being apparently
unaware of what is understood by the non-technologists among their audience.
Just because the software that does the job is technically a "printer
driver", that's no longer a reason for the UI to say that what it does is
"printing". If most people think of making a PDF file as "saving", then
that's how it should appear. Software in general, and Office in particular,
is already loaded with plenty of these "little white lies".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Graham Mayor wrote:
> I can understand the confusion, but as far as Word is concerned the
> process is 'printing'. The fact that the active driver outputs to a
> file and not to paper is really immaterial as Word has no way of
> establishing the output format of the active driver. It merely
> directs the document to it for processing. Indeed any 'printer'
> driver can be directed to a file.
>
> Robert wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:29:33 +1200, Gordon Bentley-Mix wrote:
>>
>>> While it's true that you can't print (as in hardcopy print) .xps or
>>> .pdf documents directly from Word, you can certainly "print" _to_
>>> .xps or .pdf from within Word - and the dialog that's presented when
>>> you do this is a "Save" dialog. It's bloody confusing because it's
>>> not consistent; you don't 'save' in some sort of '.paper' format
>>> when you print them on a printer, so why should you 'save' when you
>>> "print" them to .xps or .pdf?

>>
>> Hi Gordon,
>> What I personally find confusing is that a command that doesnÿt
>> actually print anything is called a ´print to¡ command. It would
>> stand to reason to name it as a ´save to¡ or ´convert to¡ command.
>> Especially as a new file is actually ´created¡ (or ´saved¡) in the
>> ´.xps¡ format.
>> When we are supposed to ´print to .xps¡, nothing gets printed at all.
>> If a ´.xps¡ document is to be ´printed¡ at all, it has to be opened
>> in the dedicated application (viewer) and actually ´printed¡ from
>> there. This cannot be done from MS Word. Word only saves the document
>> under the chosen name and format.
>> I personally would much prefer having commands that print named as
>> ´printing¡ commands, and commands that only ´save¡ named as ´saving¡
>> commands.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Aug 2009
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:29:03 +0300, Graham Mayor wrote:

> The fact that the active driver outputs to a file and not to
> paper is really immaterial as Word has no way of establishing the output
> format of the active driver.


Hi Graham,
I am sure that the MS Word developers know perfectly well what is going to
happen to the file that is ´printed to the .xps driver¡. As a matter of
fact, for the corresponding ´printer¡ name, they did not use something like
´Canon MP140 Series Printer¡, but actually ´Microsoft XPS Document Writer¡.
This is clear recognition that no actual printing is involved. A ´Document
Writer¡ cannot ´print¡ to a file, it merely ´writes¡ (or creates¡) a text
to a file.
--
Cheers
Robert
 
Reply With Quote
 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Aug 2009
Well, Word 2007 does use the term "Publish" rather than print when you use
its own PDF creator, but if you choose Adobe PDF as the printer, then you're
"printing."

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think this is another case of the technologists at MS being apparently
>unaware of what is understood by the non-technologists among their
>audience. Just because the software that does the job is technically a
>"printer driver", that's no longer a reason for the UI to say that what it
>does is "printing". If most people think of making a PDF file as "saving",
>then that's how it should appear. Software in general, and Office in
>particular, is already loaded with plenty of these "little white lies".
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
> so all may benefit.
>
> Graham Mayor wrote:
>> I can understand the confusion, but as far as Word is concerned the
>> process is 'printing'. The fact that the active driver outputs to a
>> file and not to paper is really immaterial as Word has no way of
>> establishing the output format of the active driver. It merely
>> directs the document to it for processing. Indeed any 'printer'
>> driver can be directed to a file.
>>
>> Robert wrote:
>>> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:29:33 +1200, Gordon Bentley-Mix wrote:
>>>
>>>> While it's true that you can't print (as in hardcopy print) .xps or
>>>> .pdf documents directly from Word, you can certainly "print" _to_
>>>> .xps or .pdf from within Word - and the dialog that's presented when
>>>> you do this is a "Save" dialog. It's bloody confusing because it's
>>>> not consistent; you don't 'save' in some sort of '.paper' format
>>>> when you print them on a printer, so why should you 'save' when you
>>>> "print" them to .xps or .pdf?
>>>
>>> Hi Gordon,
>>> What I personally find confusing is that a command that doesnÿt
>>> actually print anything is called a ´print to¡ command. It would
>>> stand to reason to name it as a ´save to¡ or ´convert to¡ command.
>>> Especially as a new file is actually ´created¡ (or ´saved¡) in the
>>> ´.xps¡ format.
>>> When we are supposed to ´print to .xps¡, nothing gets printed at all.
>>> If a ´.xps¡ document is to be ´printed¡ at all, it has to be opened
>>> in the dedicated application (viewer) and actually ´printed¡ from
>>> there. This cannot be done from MS Word. Word only saves the document
>>> under the chosen name and format.
>>> I personally would much prefer having commands that print named as
>>> ´printing¡ commands, and commands that only ´save¡ named as ´saving¡
>>> commands.

>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
printing to XPS and saving XPS "as" Jim A Microsoft Excel Discussion 0 14th Jun 2009 12:43 AM
Document Imaging gone from print drivers, XPS Document writer appe =?Utf-8?B?R2VuZU0gb2ZmaWNl?= Windows XP Print / Fax 4 3rd Dec 2007 09:27 PM
XPS Viewer and Printing to MS XPS Document Writer Don Andre Windows Vista General Discussion 1 7th Apr 2007 08:49 PM
[OT] manipulate XPS files with XPS Workbench nixps Microsoft Word Document Management 1 29th Nov 2006 11:14 PM
I have try and try and try But no. =?Utf-8?B?QWx2aW4gSGFuc2Vu?= Microsoft Access Form Coding 1 27th Oct 2004 10:00 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:49 AM.