Try again! problems with oe

Bob F

      26th Jul 2012
Alan Holmes wrote:
> "Char Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:19:02 -0700, "Bruce Hagen"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Char Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> That will fix the Inbox, but all messages will be lost.

>> Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
>> instructions you guys have provided.

> That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were
> in VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to
> understand them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!

I'll go back to my question. It's very easy to accidentally delete the inbox.
Are you sure you did not just delete the inbox, causing the problem?

If you bring up OE, and a message shows up that you don't want, you hit delete.
If the actual emeil you want to delete is not actually highlighted, the inbox
still is, so the inbox gets deleted.

Bruce Hagen

      26th Jul 2012
"Bob F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jurn65$818$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan Holmes wrote:
>> "Char Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
>>> instructions you guys have provided.

>> That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were
>> in VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to
>> understand them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!
>>

> I'll go back to my question. It's very easy to accidentally delete the
> inbox. Are you sure you did not just delete the inbox, causing the
> problem?
>
> If you bring up OE, and a message shows up that you don't want, you hit
> delete. If the actual emeil you want to delete is not actually
> highlighted, the inbox still is, so the inbox gets deleted.

Not true. That only can happen for user created folders. The only way to
delete a default folder is by deleting its corresponding dbx file in the
message store.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

Paul

      26th Jul 2012
Alan Holmes wrote:

> That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were in VERY
> simple language it might, just, be possible for me to understand them, but I
> will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!
>
> Alan

If our instructions aren't helping, perhaps one of the web sites
have the answer.

http://www.codeconscious.com/outlook...-oe-inbox.html

"Steps:

1. Ensure OE6 is closed before starting.

2. Create a folder c:\data and copy the entire contents of my
"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\
Identities\{YOUR_IDENTITY_STRING}\Microsoft\Outlook Express"
to c:\data

3. Rename C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\
{YOUR_IDENTITY_STRING}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\inbox.dbx to inbox.dbx.old

4. Start up OE6; it will create an empty Inbox and will show only one message
"Welcome to Outlook Express 6".

5. From the menu, open File->Import->Messages.
Choose Outlook Express 6. Click Next.

6. Choose Import mail from an OE6 Identity and select your identity
(Mine was Main Identity). Click OK.

7. Browse to the folder c:\data. Click Next.

8. Choose Inbox. Click Next.

9. Messages from your Inbox should appear in your new Inbox. Click Finished.
"

Now, as far as I'm concerned, if the old Inbox was corrupted, step 9 might
not necessarily succeed. You may or may not get access to the old messages
that were in the Inbox. But step 4 should have at least given you a
working but empty Inbox. You would not attempt to fetch new mail, until
*after* step 9, so that any new messages coming in, arrive in some
kind of order.

In Step 3, the file path there is pretty long, and it contains variable
parts. For example "Owner" would be "AlanHolmes". And YOUR_IDENTITY_STRING
is pretty random looking. It'll be a GUID something like {12345DF6-7C8F-654F-B1CF-F654321D1234}.
To make it easier to find that folder, you can do a search for "inbox.dbx",
and when the file search finds the file, right click on the file
name and select "Open containing folder" from the right click
context menu. That will get you to the folder a bit easier perhaps.
Just make sure the Owner part of the path is "AlanHolmes" before
deleting things or whatever :-)

Generally, you want to work non-destructively, not deleting
anything until the job is done. As that makes it easier to
backtrack if necessary.

Now, if I look at the steps involved above:

1. Closing the Outlook Express program with the X in the upper
right hand corner, should do the job. You can also look in
Task Manager, for msimn.exe and see if it is no longer running,
under the Process tab.

"The executable file for Outlook Express, msimn.exe, is a holdover
from the Internet Mail and News era"

2. Use the file search, and search for inbox.dbx.
Perhaps that will help you find the folder with the inbox.dbx a
little easier. Verify the path is correct, as there could be
several user accounts on the same computer, and we only want
to fix the AlanHolmes one.

To create a new folder, you can open the C: drive first. Then,
from the File menu, select New Folder and overtype the name field
with "data" so that you end up with a C:\data folder to work with.

My "Outlook Express" folder has four files in it, but yours could
have more of them. That's what they want you to copy for safe
keeping. Select whatever items are in the folder, then do "copy"
from the menu. Move to the Explorer window showing C:\data and
do "paste" from the menu. That way, you'll have copies of the files.

Folders.dbx, Inbox.dbx, Offline.dbx, Outbox.dbx

3. In this step, we're asked to rename inbox.dbx to inbox.dbx.old
This is only going to work easily, if you have file extensions viewable.

If you're in the Explorer (file manager thing), Tools : Folder Options : View
gets you here. And unticking the "Hide extensions for known file types"
box, will make the file extension visible, so you're better able
to verify you've done the edit of the name properly.

http://www.cadinternational.com/cadi...file-types.gif

4. Starting OE is pretty easy.

5. When doing File->Import->Messages , I assume you have to click
or be in the new Inbox, for that to work. That is, unless this
importation function is fixed to only work with the Inbox. You
want your old Inbox messages, if they're available, to be copied
into the new empty Inbox first seen in Step 4.

The rest of the steps look OK.

Paul

Bob F

      26th Jul 2012
Bruce Hagen wrote:
> "Bob F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jurn65$818$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>> "Char Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were
>>> in VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to
>>> understand them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY
>>> trying!

>> I'll go back to my question. It's very easy to accidentally delete
>> the inbox. Are you sure you did not just delete the inbox, causing
>> the problem?
>>
>> If you bring up OE, and a message shows up that you don't want, you
>> hit delete. If the actual emeil you want to delete is not actually
>> highlighted, the inbox still is, so the inbox gets deleted.

> Not true. That only can happen for user created folders. The only way
> to delete a default folder is by deleting its corresponding dbx file
> in the message store.

Thanks for the correction. I never use the default mailbox, so I hadn't
encountered the difference.

Char Jackson

      26th Jul 2012
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:45:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>"Char Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were in VERY
>simple language it might, just, be possible for me to understand them, but I
>will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!

It's no crime to be 85 years old and not proficient with your
computer, but we do politely ask that you tell us when our suggestions
are confusing. Help us to help you.

Hot-Text

      28th Jul 2012

"Alan Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fvCPr.171649$(E-Mail Removed)4...

> I didn't give the right information before, so:-
>
> I tried to delete an email, and when I did it, the whole inbox emptied and
> then I found I could not delete anything from any newsgroup at all, so the
> whole thing has seized up.

Tried to delete an email or a News message..
If a News message you need to reset newsgroup by,

Right Hand Click on the newsgroup,
Click on Properties,
Click Tab Local File,
Click Reset..

This will delete all header and message bodies
and will reset the folder so that headers will be re-downloaded

> But I seem to be receiving emails, they are just going into an unknown
> place and I do not know where.
>
> I am still able to send emails, but if people reply then I do not see the
> reply.
>
> But it is not just the emails it is the block on trying to alter the
> contents of newsgroups, someone did say contact the isp but how can I do
> that if I do not see any replies.
>
> Please can someone hep?
>
> Alan

Alan Holmes

      1st Aug 2012

"Bruce Hagen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jurmi6$443$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snippage>
>
> "Alan Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XRbQr.375714$(E-Mail Removed)4...

>>> Right. That's why I suggested he try to follow the detailed
>>> instructions you guys have provided.

>> That is not easy for an 85 year old idiot, if the instructions were in
>> VERY simple language it might, just, be possible for me to understand
>> them, but I will try, and believe me I am VERY VERY trying!
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Two questions.
>
> 1: What happened when you tried to create a new identity?

It kept rejecting the password, clearly I was not aware that I could not
chose the password!

> 2: Do you have any messages you need to save, or can you afford to lose
> them all.

I would like to keep them all as I have not put them in another folder, I
shall not make that mistake again.

When I have a new account set up I will post again to find out how to
recover the original emails.

Alan