When I try to add a bookmark, add is greyed out.

=?Utf-8?B?ZmFpc2FuMTA=?=

      21st Feb 2006
In my Word document, I had prior bookmarks. I have edited the document, and
I want to keep the same names for the bookmarks, but change the location. I
tried removing the old bookmark and adding a new one, but "add" is greyed
out. Suggestions? Thanks!

Jay Freedman

      21st Feb 2006
faisan10 wrote:
> In my Word document, I had prior bookmarks. I have edited the
> document, and I want to keep the same names for the bookmarks, but
> change the location. I tried removing the old bookmark and adding a
> new one, but "add" is greyed out. Suggestions? Thanks!

The Add button stays greyed out until you enter a valid bookmark name. The
name must begin with a letter, and it can't contain any spaces or
punctuation other than an underscore. So double-check what you're typing to
make sure it's exactly the same as the old name.

By the way, you don't have to delete the old bookmark first. If you select
some different text and open the dialog, select some existing name from the
list, and click Add, it will immediately relocate the bookmark to the new
text. That will prevent typing errors.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

=?Utf-8?B?ZmFpc2FuMTA=?=

      22nd Feb 2006
Thanks, Jay, but I believe my bookmark name is valid (i.e., I.0.1) It's too
late to not delete some of the old bookmarks. It's a 125-page document that
has been edited and pasted and is pretty much a mess as far as the bookmarks
go. They have been pasted over. The hyperlinks point to the wrong places. I
get messages "The bookmark name is not valid." I try to make new bookmarks,
and if the bookmark isn't already there, it doesn't give me an option to save
the new name. The "add" button is greyed out.

Thanks for your help.

Joan

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> faisan10 wrote:
> > In my Word document, I had prior bookmarks. I have edited the
> > document, and I want to keep the same names for the bookmarks, but
> > change the location. I tried removing the old bookmark and adding a
> > new one, but "add" is greyed out. Suggestions? Thanks!

> The Add button stays greyed out until you enter a valid bookmark name. The
> name must begin with a letter, and it can't contain any spaces or
> punctuation other than an underscore. So double-check what you're typing to
> make sure it's exactly the same as the old name.
>
> By the way, you don't have to delete the old bookmark first. If you select
> some different text and open the dialog, select some existing name from the
> list, and click Add, it will immediately relocate the bookmark to the new
> text. That will prevent typing errors.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
> all may benefit.

Tony Jollans

      22nd Feb 2006
I.0.1 is not a valid bookmark name. It rather sounds like your document is
in a mess! Is it possible that you have, in the past, used some AddIn that
provides extra bookmark functionality? Some sort of front end that allows
bookmark names that Word doesn't and then translates them behind the scenes,
perhaps?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"faisan10" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Jay, but I believe my bookmark name is valid (i.e., I.0.1) It's

too
> late to not delete some of the old bookmarks. It's a 125-page document

that
> has been edited and pasted and is pretty much a mess as far as the

bookmarks
> go. They have been pasted over. The hyperlinks point to the wrong places.

> get messages "The bookmark name is not valid." I try to make new

bookmarks,
> and if the bookmark isn't already there, it doesn't give me an option to

save
> the new name. The "add" button is greyed out.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Joan
>

> "Jay Freedman" wrote:
>
> > faisan10 wrote:
> > > In my Word document, I had prior bookmarks. I have edited the
> > > document, and I want to keep the same names for the bookmarks, but
> > > change the location. I tried removing the old bookmark and adding a
> > > new one, but "add" is greyed out. Suggestions? Thanks!

> > The Add button stays greyed out until you enter a valid bookmark name.

The
> > name must begin with a letter, and it can't contain any spaces or
> > punctuation other than an underscore. So double-check what you're typing

> > make sure it's exactly the same as the old name.
> >
> > By the way, you don't have to delete the old bookmark first. If you

select
> > some different text and open the dialog, select some existing name from

the
> > list, and click Add, it will immediately relocate the bookmark to the

new
> > text. That will prevent typing errors.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Jay Freedman
> > Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> > Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the

newsgroup so
> > all may benefit.

=?Utf-8?B?ZmFpc2FuMTA=?=

      22nd Feb 2006
OK, I got the answer from a techie friend. You're right: I.0.1 is no longer
a valid name, although it was when the document was created. I have gone
through and corrected them to "I01", etc.

Thanks.

Joan