Trojan.Gema virus - Start Up Error

jking

      20th Dec 2003
Yesterday, like Shawn, I received Trojan.Gema virus. It affected
Windows\system32\ Pwr32ctrl.exe, and Sndsaver.exe. I have been able to
remove the virus using
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ojan.gema.html,
but now I keep getting a missing file error message (Pwr32ctrl.exe).
Currently, I am using the Norton Virus protection software.

The instruction does not cover this particular error message. How do I
remove this problem!

Thank you in advance

Wally

Taurarian

      20th Dec 2003
http://www.mcse.ms/message121196.html
see this message

"jking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:PQREb.218280$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday, like Shawn, I received Trojan.Gema virus. It affected
> Windows\system32\ Pwr32ctrl.exe, and Sndsaver.exe. I have been able to
> remove the virus using
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ojan.gema.html,
> but now I keep getting a missing file error message (Pwr32ctrl.exe).
> Currently, I am using the Norton Virus protection software.
>

> The instruction does not cover this particular error message. How do I
> remove this problem!
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Wally

Doug Knox MS-MVP

      20th Dec 2003
You need to follow the complete removal instructions, including editing the
Registry to remove the entry/entries that are still trying to load the
virus.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

"jking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:PQREb.218280$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday, like Shawn, I received Trojan.Gema virus. It affected
> Windows\system32\ Pwr32ctrl.exe, and Sndsaver.exe. I have been able to
> remove the virus using
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ojan.gema.html,
> but now I keep getting a missing file error message (Pwr32ctrl.exe).
> Currently, I am using the Norton Virus protection software.
>

> The instruction does not cover this particular error message. How do I
> remove this problem!
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Wally

jking

      21st Dec 2003
Doug,

I've done the complete removal instruction, but I am still getting the error
message when I restart the computer. I've done the removal process 3 x
times.

I must be missing something!

"jking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:PQREb.218280$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday, like Shawn, I received Trojan.Gema virus. It affected
> Windows\system32\ Pwr32ctrl.exe, and Sndsaver.exe. I have been able to
> remove the virus using
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ojan.gema.html,
> but now I keep getting a missing file error message (Pwr32ctrl.exe).
> Currently, I am using the Norton Virus protection software.
>

> The instruction does not cover this particular error message. How do I
> remove this problem!
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Wally

Elly

      22nd Dec 2003
Do a search in your registry for Pwr32ctrl.exe and
Sndsaver.exe. Delete those keys. The complete removal
instructions tell you to look under Local Machine, but
there are probably keys in current user too.

news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com.../venc/data/tro