Transfer Text error (3011)

=?Utf-8?B?amtub2xs?=

      14th Aug 2007
I have a table: Inspection_EXPORT with an export specification: RTM_export.
I want to export the table into a CSV file locally. I've written a function
in a module using Transfer.text to do this:

Public Function EXPORT_Inspections()

DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
"c:\test.txt", True

End Function

I am getting this error:
Run-time error '3011':
"The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object
'test#txt'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the
path name correctly.

---------
I have a few questions.
1- Why is the engine trying to make sure the future export file exists?
It's an exported file, it doesnt exist yet...
2- Why is it being referred to as 'test#txt'? Did I write the wrong syntax?
3- If I wanted a .CSV file, could I just name it test.csv- or do I need to
do something else?

Thanks for your patience and help.

Roger Carlson

      14th Aug 2007
Well, no. You're using a fixed export in the TransferText and CSV is a
delimited format. Here's what I would do:

1: Export the table as a CSV manually, creating and saving an Export
Specification in the process. (That is, only if you need it. The vanilla
Delimited export may work just fine.)
2. Create a macro using the TransferText action and fill in all the
arguments in the lower portion. Make sure you select Export Delimited in
the Transfer Type line.
3. Save the macro As a VB module. This will give you the correct syntax for
your DoCmd.TransferText line.

--
--Roger Carlson
MS Access MVP

"jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a table: Inspection_EXPORT with an export specification: RTM_export.
> I want to export the table into a CSV file locally. I've written a
> function
> in a module using Transfer.text to do this:
>
> Public Function EXPORT_Inspections()
>
> DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
> "c:\test.txt", True
>
> End Function
>
> I am getting this error:
> Run-time error '3011':
> "The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object
> 'test#txt'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and
> the
> path name correctly.
>
> ---------
> I have a few questions.
> 1- Why is the engine trying to make sure the future export file exists?
> It's an exported file, it doesnt exist yet...
> 2- Why is it being referred to as 'test#txt'? Did I write the wrong
> syntax?
> 3- If I wanted a .CSV file, could I just name it test.csv- or do I need to
> do something else?
>
> Thanks for your patience and help.

=?Utf-8?B?amtub2xs?=

      14th Aug 2007
I don't have the TransferText action in the drop down when I am building a
macro... Am I in the wrong place?

I've changed the acExportFixed to acExportDelim and changed the saved export
specificaiton to a delimited export. I still get the same error.

Any ideas?

"Roger Carlson" wrote:

> Well, no. You're using a fixed export in the TransferText and CSV is a
> delimited format. Here's what I would do:
>
> 1: Export the table as a CSV manually, creating and saving an Export
> Specification in the process. (That is, only if you need it. The vanilla
> Delimited export may work just fine.)
> 2. Create a macro using the TransferText action and fill in all the
> arguments in the lower portion. Make sure you select Export Delimited in
> the Transfer Type line.
> 3. Save the macro As a VB module. This will give you the correct syntax for
> your DoCmd.TransferText line.
>
> --
> --Roger Carlson
> MS Access MVP
> Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
> Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
>

> "jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a table: Inspection_EXPORT with an export specification: RTM_export.
> > I want to export the table into a CSV file locally. I've written a
> > function
> > in a module using Transfer.text to do this:
> >
> > Public Function EXPORT_Inspections()
> >
> > DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
> > "c:\test.txt", True
> >
> > End Function
> >
> > I am getting this error:
> > Run-time error '3011':
> > "The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object
> > 'test#txt'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and
> > the
> > path name correctly.
> >
> > ---------
> > I have a few questions.
> > 1- Why is the engine trying to make sure the future export file exists?
> > It's an exported file, it doesnt exist yet...
> > 2- Why is it being referred to as 'test#txt'? Did I write the wrong
> > syntax?
> > 3- If I wanted a .CSV file, could I just name it test.csv- or do I need to
> > do something else?
> >
> > Thanks for your patience and help.

=?Utf-8?B?amtub2xs?=

      14th Aug 2007
Additionally when I try to manually export the file - then save the export
process (lets say export2) - when I try to reference that in my function:

DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "export2", "Inspection_EXPORT",
"c:\test.txt", True

It gives me a run-time error 3625- that text file specification "export2"
does not exist.

Very confusing...

"Roger Carlson" wrote:

> Well, no. You're using a fixed export in the TransferText and CSV is a
> delimited format. Here's what I would do:
>
> 1: Export the table as a CSV manually, creating and saving an Export
> Specification in the process. (That is, only if you need it. The vanilla
> Delimited export may work just fine.)
> 2. Create a macro using the TransferText action and fill in all the
> arguments in the lower portion. Make sure you select Export Delimited in
> the Transfer Type line.
> 3. Save the macro As a VB module. This will give you the correct syntax for
> your DoCmd.TransferText line.
>
> --
> --Roger Carlson
> MS Access MVP
> Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
> Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
>

> "jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a table: Inspection_EXPORT with an export specification: RTM_export.
> > I want to export the table into a CSV file locally. I've written a
> > function
> > in a module using Transfer.text to do this:
> >
> > Public Function EXPORT_Inspections()
> >
> > DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
> > "c:\test.txt", True
> >
> > End Function
> >
> > I am getting this error:
> > Run-time error '3011':
> > "The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object
> > 'test#txt'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and
> > the
> > path name correctly.
> >
> > ---------
> > I have a few questions.
> > 1- Why is the engine trying to make sure the future export file exists?
> > It's an exported file, it doesnt exist yet...
> > 2- Why is it being referred to as 'test#txt'? Did I write the wrong
> > syntax?
> > 3- If I wanted a .CSV file, could I just name it test.csv- or do I need to
> > do something else?
> >
> > Thanks for your patience and help.

Roger Carlson

      14th Aug 2007
TransferText is a standard action in the macro builder. It's usually the
very last one on the list. I suggested the steps below because I'm not able
to see your query, export spec, and so forth. Is RTM_Export the name of your
export spec? Is Inspection_EXPORT the name of the table/query? Do you
actually want to export the fieldnames? Assuming these are correct, the
only other thing I'd try is to add an additional empty parameter at the end:

DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
"c:\test.txt", True, ""

--
--Roger Carlson
MS Access MVP
Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?

"jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't have the TransferText action in the drop down when I am building a
> macro... Am I in the wrong place?
>
> I've changed the acExportFixed to acExportDelim and changed the saved
> export
> specificaiton to a delimited export. I still get the same error.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> "Roger Carlson" wrote:
>
>> Well, no. You're using a fixed export in the TransferText and CSV is a
>> delimited format. Here's what I would do:
>>
>> 1: Export the table as a CSV manually, creating and saving an Export
>> Specification in the process. (That is, only if you need it. The
>> vanilla
>> Delimited export may work just fine.)
>> 2. Create a macro using the TransferText action and fill in all the
>> arguments in the lower portion. Make sure you select Export Delimited in
>> the Transfer Type line.
>> 3. Save the macro As a VB module. This will give you the correct syntax
>> for
>> your DoCmd.TransferText line.
>>
>> --
>> --Roger Carlson
>> MS Access MVP
>> Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
>> Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
>>

>> "jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have a table: Inspection_EXPORT with an export specification:
>> >RTM_export.
>> > I want to export the table into a CSV file locally. I've written a
>> > function
>> > in a module using Transfer.text to do this:
>> >
>> > Public Function EXPORT_Inspections()
>> >
>> > DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
>> > "c:\test.txt", True
>> >
>> > End Function
>> >
>> > I am getting this error:
>> > Run-time error '3011':
>> > "The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object
>> > 'test#txt'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and
>> > the
>> > path name correctly.
>> >
>> > ---------
>> > I have a few questions.
>> > 1- Why is the engine trying to make sure the future export file exists?
>> > It's an exported file, it doesnt exist yet...
>> > 2- Why is it being referred to as 'test#txt'? Did I write the wrong
>> > syntax?
>> > 3- If I wanted a .CSV file, could I just name it test.csv- or do I need
>> > do something else?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your patience and help.

=?Utf-8?B?amtub2xs?=

      14th Aug 2007
Roger,

I think I'm closer now...

I converted the macro using transfer text to a module, then put a button on
my form that called another macro that calls the function RunExport().

Now I get a regular error (no error number):
The microsoft office access database engine could not find the object
'test#csv'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the
path name correctly.

This is still confusing since I am not trying to reference anything. My
path is simply c:\ and the file name is test.csv. There is no test file in
my c:\ - why does it keep wanting to reference a file that doesnt exist yet?

Thanks!

'------------------------------------------------------------
' RunExport
'
'------------------------------------------------------------
Function RunExport()
On Error GoTo RunExport_Err

DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "RTM_export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
"c:\test.csv", True, ""

RunExport_Exit:
Exit Function

RunExport_Err:
MsgBox Error$
Resume RunExport_Exit

End Function

"Roger Carlson" wrote:

> TransferText is a standard action in the macro builder. It's usually the
> very last one on the list. I suggested the steps below because I'm not able
> to see your query, export spec, and so forth. Is RTM_Export the name of your
> export spec? Is Inspection_EXPORT the name of the table/query? Do you
> actually want to export the fieldnames? Assuming these are correct, the
> only other thing I'd try is to add an additional empty parameter at the end:
>
> DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
> "c:\test.txt", True, ""
>

> --
> --Roger Carlson
> MS Access MVP
> Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
> Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
>
> "jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I don't have the TransferText action in the drop down when I am building a
> > macro... Am I in the wrong place?
> >
> > I've changed the acExportFixed to acExportDelim and changed the saved
> > export
> > specificaiton to a delimited export. I still get the same error.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > "Roger Carlson" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, no. You're using a fixed export in the TransferText and CSV is a
> >> delimited format. Here's what I would do:
> >>
> >> 1: Export the table as a CSV manually, creating and saving an Export
> >> Specification in the process. (That is, only if you need it. The
> >> vanilla
> >> Delimited export may work just fine.)
> >> 2. Create a macro using the TransferText action and fill in all the
> >> arguments in the lower portion. Make sure you select Export Delimited in
> >> the Transfer Type line.
> >> 3. Save the macro As a VB module. This will give you the correct syntax
> >> for
> >> your DoCmd.TransferText line.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --Roger Carlson
> >> MS Access MVP
> >> Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
> >> Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
> >>

> >> "jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Roger Carlson

      14th Aug 2007
Well, unfortunately, it's got me stumped. If no one else answers in a
couple of days, try re-posting.

Sorry.

--
> [...]

>> actually want to export the fieldnames? Assuming these are correct, the
>> only other thing I'd try is to add an additional empty parameter at the
>> end:
>>
>> DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
>> "c:\test.txt", True, ""
>>

>> --
>> --Roger Carlson
>> MS Access MVP
>> Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
>> Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
>>
>> "jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I don't have the TransferText action in the drop down when I am building
>> > macro... Am I in the wrong place?
>> >
>> > I've changed the acExportFixed to acExportDelim and changed the saved
>> > export
>> > specificaiton to a delimited export. I still get the same error.

Gina Whipp

      14th Aug 2007
Do you have the tables MSysIMEXSpecs and MSysIMEXColumns? If yes, then in
the Specs one there should be the name of your specification file, what does
it say? If no then try the below line:

DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, , "Inspection_EXPORT", "c:\test.txt"

--
Gina Whipp

II

"jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Additionally when I try to manually export the file - then save the export
> process (lets say export2) - when I try to reference that in my function:
>
> DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "export2", "Inspection_EXPORT",
> "c:\test.txt", True
>
> It gives me a run-time error 3625- that text file specification "export2"
> does not exist.
>
> Very confusing...
>

> "Roger Carlson" wrote:
>
>> Well, no. You're using a fixed export in the TransferText and CSV is a
>> delimited format. Here's what I would do:
>>
>> 1: Export the table as a CSV manually, creating and saving an Export
>> Specification in the process. (That is, only if you need it. The
>> vanilla
>> Delimited export may work just fine.)
>> 2. Create a macro using the TransferText action and fill in all the
>> arguments in the lower portion. Make sure you select Export Delimited in
>> the Transfer Type line.
>> 3. Save the macro As a VB module. This will give you the correct syntax
>> for
>> your DoCmd.TransferText line.
>>
>> --
>> --Roger Carlson
>> MS Access MVP
>> Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
>> Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
>>

>> "jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have a table: Inspection_EXPORT with an export specification:
>> >RTM_export.
>> > I want to export the table into a CSV file locally. I've written a
>> > function
>> > in a module using Transfer.text to do this:
>> >
>> > Public Function EXPORT_Inspections()
>> >
>> > DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
>> > "c:\test.txt", True
>> >
>> > End Function
>> >
>> > I am getting this error:
>> > Run-time error '3011':
>> > "The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object
>> > 'test#txt'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and
>> > the
>> > path name correctly.
>> >
>> > ---------
>> > I have a few questions.
>> > 1- Why is the engine trying to make sure the future export file exists?
>> > It's an exported file, it doesnt exist yet...
>> > 2- Why is it being referred to as 'test#txt'? Did I write the wrong
>> > syntax?
>> > 3- If I wanted a .CSV file, could I just name it test.csv- or do I need
>> > do something else?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your patience and help.

John Nurick

      15th Aug 2007
I'm guessing, but do you (or rather the user account under which
Access is running) have write permissions on C:\ ?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:42:01 -0700, jknoll <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Roger,
>
>I think I'm closer now...
>
>I converted the macro using transfer text to a module, then put a button on
>my form that called another macro that calls the function RunExport().
>
>Now I get a regular error (no error number):
>The microsoft office access database engine could not find the object
>'test#csv'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the
>path name correctly.
>
>This is still confusing since I am not trying to reference anything. My
>path is simply c:\ and the file name is test.csv. There is no test file in
>my c:\ - why does it keep wanting to reference a file that doesnt exist yet?
>
>Thanks!
>

>'------------------------------------------------------------
>' RunExport
>'
>'------------------------------------------------------------
>Function RunExport()
>On Error GoTo RunExport_Err
>
> DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "RTM_export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
>"c:\test.csv", True, ""
>

>RunExport_Exit:
> Exit Function
>
>RunExport_Err:
> MsgBox Error$
> Resume RunExport_Exit
>
>End Function
>
>"Roger Carlson" wrote:
>
>> TransferText is a standard action in the macro builder. It's usually the
>> very last one on the list. I suggested the steps below because I'm not able
>> to see your query, export spec, and so forth. Is RTM_Export the name of your
>> export spec? Is Inspection_EXPORT the name of the table/query? Do you
>> actually want to export the fieldnames? Assuming these are correct, the
>> only other thing I'd try is to add an additional empty parameter at the end:
>>
>> DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "RTM_Export", "Inspection_EXPORT",
>> "c:\test.txt", True, ""
>>

>> --
>> --Roger Carlson
>> MS Access MVP
>> Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
>> Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
>>
>> "jknoll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I don't have the TransferText action in the drop down when I am building a
>> > macro... Am I in the wrong place?
>> >
>> > I've changed the acExportFixed to acExportDelim and changed the saved
>> > export
>> > specificaiton to a delimited export. I still get the same error.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

--
John Nurick - Access MVP

David Ritchie

      5th Jun 2008
I had a similar problem after making some changes to the underlying query. Try recreating the export file, this worked for me.

Good Luck