      9th Sep 2009
I "bought" 12 mhz speed.

I test at 2 to 3 mhz speed.

I download at 100 to 200 khz speed.

Normal?

Thanks.

--
JimL

The purpose of computers is to complicate life for complicated people;
simple people can go suck eggs. Winston Churchill

John John - MVP

      9th Sep 2009
I take it that you are talking about an internet access package.

Internet speed isn't rated in "mhz", it's rated in Mbps (Megabits per
Second). The old dial up were/are measured in kbps (kilobits per
second). 1 byte = 8 bits, 12 megabits = 1.5 Megabytes.

Is it normal to pay for an internet packaged with an advertised speed of
12 Mbps and receive what you got? No, not at all, call your ISP and ask
them what is going on.

John

JimL wrote:
> I "bought" 12 mhz speed.
>
> I test at 2 to 3 mhz speed.
>
> I download at 100 to 200 khz speed.
>
> Normal?
>
> Thanks.

smlunatick

      9th Sep 2009
On Sep 9, 8:20*am, "JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I "bought" 12 mhz speed.
>
> I test at 2 to 3 mhz speed.
>
> I download at 100 to 200 khz speed.
>
> Normal?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> JimL
>
> The purpose of computers is to complicate life for complicated people;
> simple people can go suck eggs. Winston Churchill

What speeds are you testing? 12Mbps seems to be wireless network
802.11b access speeds and not Internet access speeds, unless you are
using some type cellphone type access.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      9th Sep 2009
Hi
Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
To make sure that the Internet is at its max.,
http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h87kva$659$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I "bought" 12 mhz speed.
>
> I test at 2 to 3 mhz speed.
>
> I download at 100 to 200 khz speed.
>
> Normal?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> JimL
>
> The purpose of computers is to complicate life for complicated people;
> simple people can go suck eggs. Winston Churchill

JimL

      10th Sep 2009
"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Sep 9, 8:20 am, "JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I "bought" 12 mhz speed.
>>
>> I test at 2 to 3 mhz speed.
>>
>> I download at 100 to 200 khz speed.
>>
>> Normal?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> JimL
>>
>> The purpose of computers is to complicate life for complicated people;
>> simple people can go suck eggs. Winston Churchill

>What speeds are you testing? 12Mbps seems to be wireless network
>802.11b access speeds and not Internet access speeds, unless you are
>using some type cellphone type access.

You oviously have to know something about the subject to ask the question
right. <g>

I recently got broadband from Comcast via cable modem. They describe the
service as 12 mb and say it runs much faster than that when a download first
starts.

I use a FireFox add-on called "Broadband Speed Test and Diagnostics 1.2.5"
to get the 2 to 3 mb figure. Rarely it reports as high as 4 to 5 mb.
Similar utilities show similar results.

Most any download process has a download speed readout that shows me usually
around 150 kb, altho that too rarely shows a higher figure.

Thanks

--
JimL

The purpose of computers is to complicate life for complicated people;
simple people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

JimL

      10th Sep 2009
"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
> To make sure that the Internet is at its max.,
> http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h87kva$659$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>I "bought" 12 mhz speed.
>>
>> I test at 2 to 3 mhz speed.
>>
>> I download at 100 to 200 khz speed.
>>
>> Normal?

Thanks

--
JimL

The purpose of computers is to complicate life for complicated people;
simple people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

JimL

      10th Sep 2009
"John John - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is it normal to pay for an internet packaged with an advertised speed of
> 12 Mbps and receive what you got? No, not at all, call your ISP and ask
> them what is going on.

Against my better judgement I did just that.

As expected they just said it couldn't be their fault. "Everything's green
here!!!" Sheesh - @#$%^. Let me get my hands around that throat!

Obama we can fix in the next election - if there is one. There's no way to
fix corporations that are too big for their britches.