Tool to check who is connected to my wireless network?

juliuslr@gmail.com

      18th Jul 2005
I've been using wireless network at home for quite a while now, and
have it WEP (password) enabled, however, I have an un-settled feeling
that someone that is more savvy than me can still connect to my
network. Is there a tool that can monitor my network and record (text
file) network connection activity?

For example, I can drive around my neigborhood with my laptop on and
monitoring wireless networks, and see several that I can easily
connect(not protected), totally open. I was able to surf the net using
their "on-line" broadband internet connection.

Conor

      18th Jul 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
says...
> I've been using wireless network at home for quite a while now, and
> have it WEP (password) enabled, however, I have an un-settled feeling
> that someone that is more savvy than me can still connect to my
> network. Is there a tool that can monitor my network and record (text
> file) network connection activity?
>
> For example, I can drive around my neigborhood with my laptop on and
> monitoring wireless networks, and see several that I can easily
> connect(not protected), totally open. I was able to surf the net using
> their "on-line" broadband internet connection.

Your WiFi AP shoulf be able to tell you this as should the DHCP client
list on your router.

--
Conor

Wayne D

      19th Jul 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> says...
> > I've been using wireless network at home for quite a while now, and
> > have it WEP (password) enabled, however, I have an un-settled feeling
> > that someone that is more savvy than me can still connect to my
> > network. Is there a tool that can monitor my network and record (text
> > file) network connection activity?
> >
> > For example, I can drive around my neigborhood with my laptop on and
> > monitoring wireless networks, and see several that I can easily
> > connect(not protected), totally open. I was able to surf the net using
> > their "on-line" broadband internet connection.
> >

> Your WiFi AP shoulf be able to tell you this as should the DHCP client
> list on your router.

Yes, you router will be able to show the connected IP's.

You can also use this program to secure your network.

LucidLink Wireless LAN Security

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lucidlink.html

LucidLink Wireless LAN Security (3 User Home Office version) enables you
to secure your 802.11 wireless home network from unauthorized access with
802.1x authentication and advanced Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)
encryption. The program runs in a server/client mode and your wireless
access point is configured from the LucidLink server application, and
will only allow access from clients that are using the generate client to
connect to the network. Each client is verified for the proper
credentials, and the first time a client connects, he must be approved by
the administrator. LucidLink includes free-to-distribute clients for XP &
W2K and works with 802.1X enabled access points including 3Com, Cisco, D-
Link, Linksys, Motorola, Netgear, SMC & Zyxel. It secures your wireless
network with Wi-Fi Protected Access (802.1X) authentication and advanced
WPA encryption with a very easy-to-use interface. This home office
version supports up to 3 users - a free registration is a offered after
30 days. If you need more than 3 users, commercial version are available
as well.

Compatible with wireless access points and NICs that support 802.1X
security.

Win 2K, XP

Regards

Wayne D

Gary R. Schmidt

      19th Jul 2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I've been using wireless network at home for quite a while now, and
> have it WEP (password) enabled, however, I have an un-settled feeling
> that someone that is more savvy than me can still connect to my
> network. Is there a tool that can monitor my network and record (text
> file) network connection activity?
>
> For example, I can drive around my neigborhood with my laptop on and
> monitoring wireless networks, and see several that I can easily
> connect(not protected), totally open. I was able to surf the net using
> their "on-line" broadband internet connection.

You are wide-open if you just use WEP.

You need to be at WPA-PSK to be vaguely safe.

And turn off the broadcast of your SSID.

And turn on MAC address filtering.

If you go ogle for "wireless access points security hints" you will have
many hours of pleasant reading.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

whether you were up them with or not