Too funny MS ad in Visual Studio Magazine...

Rob R. Ainscough

      5th Aug 2005
MS Visual Studio Ad contained in VS Magazine.

Two developers in "hip" clothing diagramming out a huge flow chart on a
beach.

I could NOT stop laughing at the stupidity of the ad -- "Let your ideas run
free"....only to be washed up by the waves when the tide comes in -- this is
exactly so so so Microsoft. Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5 years in the
name of progress and hope developers don't notice -- good revenue generation
for MS, bad career move for developers as they scramble to deal with the
latest crap from MS only to find out it can't do what it used to do, but it
does support the Web development better now -- I mean "isn't everyone doing
web development"??

Get a clue Microsoft.

P.S. -- those two guys you have in the Ad, you need to get out more and see
what real developers look like -- it isn't something out of GQ.

W.G. Ryan MVP

      5th Aug 2005
<<Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5 years in the
> name of progress and hope developers don't notice >>

Is that what they did? I didn't notice ;-(

<<good revenue generation
> for MS, bad career move for developers as they scramble to deal with the
> latest crap from MS only to find out it can't do what it used to do, but
> it does support the Web development better now -- I mean "isn't everyone
> doing web development"??>>

Yep, I know that $35.00 upgrade price from VS.NET to 2003 must have brought
in tons of cash for Microsoft. But I'm not sure what the rest of your
point is.... What doesn't VS.NET do that previous versions did? I'm able to
do everythign I was able to before and a whole lot more. Yep, I can even
consume those old COM dlls I wrote a few years back without a hitch. If
learning .NET was a bad career move on my part, I need about 10 more just
like it b/c life is a lot easier these days and I make a h3ll of a lot more
money.

So since you're obviously looking to ruffle features, please, by all means,
cite some specifics. My Microsoft stock has been trading flat for a while
now and if they're raking in the revenue from VS.NET, well, I need to get
Bill on the phone and find out where my money is.
"Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MS Visual Studio Ad contained in VS Magazine.
>
> Two developers in "hip" clothing diagramming out a huge flow chart on a
> beach.
>
> I could NOT stop laughing at the stupidity of the ad -- "Let your ideas
> run free"....only to be washed up by the waves when the tide comes in --
> this is exactly so so so Microsoft. Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5
> years in the name of progress and hope developers don't notice -- good
> revenue generation for MS, bad career move for developers as they scramble
> to deal with the latest crap from MS only to find out it can't do what it
> used to do, but it does support the Web development better now -- I mean
> "isn't everyone doing web development"??
>
> Get a clue Microsoft.
>
> P.S. -- those two guys you have in the Ad, you need to get out more and
> see what real developers look like -- it isn't something out of GQ.

clintonG

      5th Aug 2005
Don't get me started.

You haven't seen nothing until you spend more than a decade trying to do
business using products such as AutoCAD from Autodesk. I know people in
general fail to understand how fundamental CAD has become to the nation's
economy and the extent to which it is all subversively controlled and
corrupted by Autodesk. There are 'official' documents indicating the
numbers run into billions of annual losses within each market Autodesk
subversively corrupts and controls. When all is added up one subversive and
corrupt corporate parasite can be shown to be responsible for nearly a
trillion dollars of annual losses imputed into the US economy.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

"Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MS Visual Studio Ad contained in VS Magazine.
>
> Two developers in "hip" clothing diagramming out a huge flow chart on a
> beach.
>
> I could NOT stop laughing at the stupidity of the ad -- "Let your ideas
> run free"....only to be washed up by the waves when the tide comes in --
> this is exactly so so so Microsoft. Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5
> years in the name of progress and hope developers don't notice -- good
> revenue generation for MS, bad career move for developers as they scramble
> to deal with the latest crap from MS only to find out it can't do what it
> used to do, but it does support the Web development better now -- I mean
> "isn't everyone doing web development"??
>
> Get a clue Microsoft.
>
> P.S. -- those two guys you have in the Ad, you need to get out more and
> see what real developers look like -- it isn't something out of GQ.

Rob R. Ainscough

      5th Aug 2005
1. Recording lock in ADO.NET -- more hoops -- SQL time (UPDLOCK) and
BeginTransactions
2. Brain dead debugger -- I'd like to see the contents of that item in the
collection and/or datatable (debug.writeline -- ugh!)
3. Buggy as hell IDE (even more buggy with ASP.NET - Web dev projects) --
Index Services issues with web development
4. .NET framework v1.1 missing A LOT of features making virtually
impossible to remain "managed" -- consume old COM dlls at your own risk but
I see why you would since .NET framework v1.1 is so limited
5. $2000+/yr single developer if your into this game at any serious level
6. Connection management
7. OOP the MS way -- but I don't want my child to inherit ALL the
properties of the parent, well ya got create an New grandparent and inherit
from that (oh joy)
8. terrible help & search

And the list goes on and on.

This is progress? Just think how much money you could have made if MS had a
clue...

"W.G. Ryan MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <<Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5 years in the
>> name of progress and hope developers don't notice >>

> Is that what they did? I didn't notice ;-(
>
> <<good revenue generation
>> for MS, bad career move for developers as they scramble to deal with the
>> latest crap from MS only to find out it can't do what it used to do, but
>> it does support the Web development better now -- I mean "isn't everyone
>> doing web development"??>>

> Yep, I know that $35.00 upgrade price from VS.NET to 2003 must have
> brought in tons of cash for Microsoft. But I'm not sure what the rest of
> your point is.... What doesn't VS.NET do that previous versions did? I'm
> able to do everythign I was able to before and a whole lot more. Yep, I
> can even consume those old COM dlls I wrote a few years back without a
> hitch. If learning .NET was a bad career move on my part, I need about 10
> more just like it b/c life is a lot easier these days and I make a h3ll of
> a lot more money.
>
> So since you're obviously looking to ruffle features, please, by all
> means, cite some specifics. My Microsoft stock has been trading flat for
> a while now and if they're raking in the revenue from VS.NET, well, I need
> to get Bill on the phone and find out where my money is.
> "Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> MS Visual Studio Ad contained in VS Magazine.
>>
>> Two developers in "hip" clothing diagramming out a huge flow chart on a
>> beach.
>>
>> I could NOT stop laughing at the stupidity of the ad -- "Let your ideas
>> run free"....only to be washed up by the waves when the tide comes in --
>> this is exactly so so so Microsoft. Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5
>> years in the name of progress and hope developers don't notice -- good
>> revenue generation for MS, bad career move for developers as they
>> scramble to deal with the latest crap from MS only to find out it can't
>> do what it used to do, but it does support the Web development better
>> now -- I mean "isn't everyone doing web development"??
>>
>> Get a clue Microsoft.
>>
>> P.S. -- those two guys you have in the Ad, you need to get out more and
>> see what real developers look like -- it isn't something out of GQ.

W.G. Ryan MVP

      5th Aug 2005
You've got to be kidding me. Is this actually the top of your list of
gripes? I'm 100% pro visual studio and I still have more serious gripes
than this.
> [...]

>>> Two developers in "hip" clothing diagramming out a huge flow chart on a
>>> beach.
>>>
>>> I could NOT stop laughing at the stupidity of the ad -- "Let your ideas
>>> run free"....only to be washed up by the waves when the tide comes in --
>>> this is exactly so so so Microsoft. Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5
>>> years in the name of progress and hope developers don't notice -- good
>>> revenue generation for MS, bad career move for developers as they
>>> scramble to deal with the latest crap from MS only to find out it can't
>>> do what it used to do, but it does support the Web development better
>>> now -- I mean "isn't everyone doing web development"??
>>>
>>> Get a clue Microsoft.
>>>
>>> P.S. -- those two guys you have in the Ad, you need to get out more and
>>> see what real developers look like -- it isn't something out of GQ.

List is not in any order, nor is it complete or final in anyway -- never
suggested it was hence why I said "And the list goes on and on...".

Do you want me to play the "hit your specific gripe on head" game -- it's
easier if you list YOUR SERIOUS gripes cause I'm certain that MVP entitles
you to have more SERIOUS GRIPES than anyone else.

"W.G. Ryan MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You've got to be kidding me. Is this actually the top of your list of
> gripes? I'm 100% pro visual studio and I still have more serious gripes
> than this.
> "Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 1. Recording lock in ADO.NET -- more hoops -- SQL time (UPDLOCK) and
>> BeginTransactions
>> 2. Brain dead debugger -- I'd like to see the contents of that item in
>> the collection and/or datatable (debug.writeline -- ugh!)
>> 3. Buggy as hell IDE (even more buggy with ASP.NET - Web dev
>> projects) -- Index Services issues with web development
>> 4. .NET framework v1.1 missing A LOT of features making virtually
>> impossible to remain "managed" -- consume old COM dlls at your own risk
>> but I see why you would since .NET framework v1.1 is so limited
>> 5. $2000+/yr single developer if your into this game at any serious
>> level
>> 6. Connection management
>> 7. OOP the MS way -- but I don't want my child to inherit ALL the
>> properties of the parent, well ya got create an New grandparent and
>> inherit from that (oh joy)
>> 8. terrible help & search
>>
>> And the list goes on and on.
>>
>> This is progress? Just think how much money you could have made if MS
>> had a clue...
>>
>> "W.G. Ryan MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> <<Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5 years in the
>>>
>>> Is that what they did? I didn't notice ;-(
>>>
>>> <<good revenue generation
>>> Yep, I know that $35.00 upgrade price from VS.NET to 2003 must have
>>> brought in tons of cash for Microsoft. But I'm not sure what the rest
>>> of your point is.... What doesn't VS.NET do that previous versions did?
>>> I'm able to do everythign I was able to before and a whole lot more.
>>> Yep, I can even consume those old COM dlls I wrote a few years back
>>> without a hitch. If learning .NET was a bad career move on my part, I
>>> need about 10 more just like it b/c life is a lot easier these days and
>>> I make a h3ll of a lot more money.
>>>
>>> So since you're obviously looking to ruffle features, please, by all
>>> means, cite some specifics. My Microsoft stock has been trading flat
>>> for a while now and if they're raking in the revenue from VS.NET, well,
>>> I need to get Bill on the phone and find out where my money is.
>>> "Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ken Dopierala Jr.

      6th Aug 2005
Hi Rob,

What do you develop with? Before you even make a dent in VS.Net you'll need
to go on and on with your list. So far you are at:

1: Pretty painless workaround.
2: Braindead compared only to VS.Net 2005, blows everything else off the
market in it's current state.
3: Compared to what? Hell doesn't count and if you name another IDE it'll
get chewed up and spit out.
4: Havn't used it much have you. The biggest thing missing is multimedia
which is why managed DX is available with books dedicated to it.
5: $899 for the Pro version. For 2K you get a heck of a lot more than an
IDE. No one offers anything for even close to the price and what is offered
is inferior.
6: Doing it yourself? Read up!
7: Getting political? Your "on and on" list is obviously coming to an end.
8: Okay your list was most definitely over at 4. The MSDN Knowledge Base is
by far the standard in development documentation.

Get some more ammo. The pea shooter you're packing is making you look weak.
Maybe hit up the trade mags to back your cause. CRN is taken seriously and
based on their ratings from a few months ago regarding development tools
they disagree with you across the board. Good luck! Ken.

"Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:usj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> List is not in any order, nor is it complete or final in anyway -- never
> suggested it was hence why I said "And the list goes on and on...".
>
> Do you want me to play the "hit your specific gripe on head" game -- it's
> easier if you list YOUR SERIOUS gripes cause I'm certain that MVP entitles
> you to have more SERIOUS GRIPES than anyone else.
>

> "W.G. Ryan MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You've got to be kidding me. Is this actually the top of your list of
> > gripes? I'm 100% pro visual studio and I still have more serious gripes
> > than this.
> > "Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> 1. Recording lock in ADO.NET -- more hoops -- SQL time (UPDLOCK) and
> >> BeginTransactions
> >> 2. Brain dead debugger -- I'd like to see the contents of that item in
> >> the collection and/or datatable (debug.writeline -- ugh!)
> >> 3. Buggy as hell IDE (even more buggy with ASP.NET - Web dev
> >> projects) -- Index Services issues with web development
> >> 4. .NET framework v1.1 missing A LOT of features making virtually
> >> impossible to remain "managed" -- consume old COM dlls at your own risk
> >> but I see why you would since .NET framework v1.1 is so limited
> >> 5. $2000+/yr single developer if your into this game at any serious
> >> level
> >> 6. Connection management
> >> 7. OOP the MS way -- but I don't want my child to inherit ALL the
> >> properties of the parent, well ya got create an New grandparent and
> >> inherit from that (oh joy)
> >> 8. terrible help & search
> >>
> >> And the list goes on and on.
> >>
> >> This is progress? Just think how much money you could have made if MS
> >> had a clue...
> >>
> >> "W.G. Ryan MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"isn't

rest

did?

and

well,

ideas

Web

and

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

      6th Aug 2005
Rob R. Ainscough wrote:

> 1. Recording lock in ADO.NET -- more hoops -- SQL time (UPDLOCK) and
> BeginTransactions

I fail to see this, the thing is that the SqlServer client in ADO.NET
is much closer to the raw metal than the ADO wrapper around the OleDb
driver ever was.

> 2. Brain dead debugger -- I'd like to see the contents of that item
> in the collection and/or datatable (debug.writeline -- ugh!)

Use a real language .
C# doesn't have that, it lets you see every element in an object.

> 3. Buggy as hell IDE (even more buggy with ASP.NET - Web dev
> projects) -- Index Services issues with web development

webdevelopment is indeed not that great, though not everyone does
webdevelopment :P

> 4. .NET framework v1.1 missing A LOT of features making virtually
> impossible to remain "managed" -- consume old COM dlls at your own
> risk but I see why you would since .NET framework v1.1 is so limited

I almost never use COM dlls, and I'm not doing anything unusual.

> 5. $2000+/yr single developer if your into this game at any serious
> level 6. Connection management

Go to Montevideo, Uruguay. I know for a fact they pay more money for a
..NET developer than in the US.

> 7. OOP the MS way -- but I don't want my child to inherit ALL the
> properties of the parent, well ya got create an New grandparent and
> inherit from that (oh joy)

huh?

> 8. terrible help & search

give me one example of better help on the same scale (i.e. amount of
classes in a framework).

> And the list goes on and on.

no it doesn't.

> This is progress? Just think how much money you could have made if
> MS had a clue...

Well, I AM making money because MS had no clue about O/R mapping, so I
give you that one

FB

> "W.G. Ryan MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > <<Re-invent the dev tools every 3-5 years in the
> >> name of progress and hope developers don't notice >>

> > Is that what they did? I didn't notice ;-(
> >
> > <<good revenue generation
> >> for MS, bad career move for developers as they scramble to deal

> with the >> latest crap from MS only to find out it can't do what it
> used to do, but >> it does support the Web development better now --
> I mean "isn't everyone >> doing web development"??>>
> > Yep, I know that $35.00 upgrade price from VS.NET to 2003 must have
> > brought in tons of cash for Microsoft. But I'm not sure what the
> > rest of your point is.... What doesn't VS.NET do that previous
> > versions did? I'm able to do everythign I was able to before and a
> > whole lot more. Yep, I can even consume those old COM dlls I wrote
> > a few years back without a hitch. If learning .NET was a bad
> > career move on my part, I need about 10 more just like it b/c life
> > is a lot easier these days and I make a h3ll of a lot more money.
> >
> > So since you're obviously looking to ruffle features, please, by
> > all means, cite some specifics. My Microsoft stock has been
> > trading flat for a while now and if they're raking in the revenue
> > from VS.NET, well, I need to get Bill on the phone and find out
> > where my money is. "Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> MS Visual Studio Ad contained in VS Magazine.
> > >
> >> Two developers in "hip" clothing diagramming out a huge flow chart

> on a >> beach.
> > >
> >> I could NOT stop laughing at the stupidity of the ad -- "Let your

> ideas >> run free"....only to be washed up by the waves when the tide
> comes in -- >> this is exactly so so so Microsoft. Re-invent the dev
> tools every 3-5 >> years in the name of progress and hope developers
> don't notice -- good >> revenue generation for MS, bad career move
> for developers as they >> scramble to deal with the latest crap from
> MS only to find out it can't >> do what it used to do, but it does
> support the Web development better >> now -- I mean "isn't everyone
> doing web development"??
> > >
> >> Get a clue Microsoft.
> > >
> >> P.S. -- those two guys you have in the Ad, you need to get out

> more and >> see what real developers look like -- it isn't something
> out of GQ.

Get LLBLGen Pro, productive O/R mapping for .NET: http://www.llblgen.com
My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
Microsoft MVP (C#)

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

      6th Aug 2005
clintonG wrote:

> Don't get me started.
>
> You haven't seen nothing until you spend more than a decade trying to
> do business using products such as AutoCAD from Autodesk. I know
> people in general fail to understand how fundamental CAD has become
> to the nation's economy and the extent to which it is all
> subversively controlled and corrupted by Autodesk. There are
> 'official' documents indicating the numbers run into billions of
> annual losses within each market Autodesk subversively corrupts and
> controls. When all is added up one subversive and corrupt corporate
> parasite can be shown to be responsible for nearly a trillion dollars
> of annual losses imputed into the US economy.

I have a feeling you had a bad experience with autocad. They
tortured you TOO to write software in their horrible AutoLisp language?

FB, fellow autolisp victim

> <%= Clinton Gallagher
> METROmilwaukee (sm) "A Regional Information Service"
> NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
> URL http://metromilwaukee.com/
>

> "Rob R. Ainscough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > MS Visual Studio Ad contained in VS Magazine.
> >
> > Two developers in "hip" clothing diagramming out a huge flow chart
> > on a beach.
> >
> > I could NOT stop laughing at the stupidity of the ad -- "Let your
> > ideas run free"....only to be washed up by the waves when the tide
> > comes in -- this is exactly so so so Microsoft. Re-invent the dev
> > tools every 3-5 years in the name of progress and hope developers
> > don't notice -- good revenue generation for MS, bad career move for
> > developers as they scramble to deal with the latest crap from MS
> > only to find out it can't do what it used to do, but it does
> > support the Web development better now -- I mean "isn't everyone
> > doing web development"??

Get LLBLGen Pro, productive O/R mapping for .NET: http://www.llblgen.com
My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
Microsoft MVP (C#)

clintonG

      6th Aug 2005
ROFL

Yes, AutoLisp scared me away from development and I never really learned it
well. The same thing happened to me when I first tried reading Perl. Now I'm
much happier with C# of course :-) but some aspects of OOP are really giving
me a hard time.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

news:(E-Mail Removed)...