Time supplied by the server WITHOUT DHCP

Fran

      9th Jun 2004
Is there a way I can have all the client PC's on my WIN 2K Active
Directory LAN get their time from the AD server? We went with Static
IP addresses as the other DHCP server was causing all sorts of
problems. Anyway, the time they were getting from the DHCP server is
at least 23 minutes off (sometimes hours!)

Is there a way I can set my AD server to get the atomic time and let
the client PC's get their time from this server?

Fran

Richard G. Harper

      9th Jun 2004
If your Active Directory domain is working correctly this is what should be
happening right now. DHCP does not synchronize time, only hands out IP
addresses. Read here:

Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] (E-Mail Removed)

"Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way I can have all the client PC's on my WIN 2K Active
> Directory LAN get their time from the AD server? We went with Static
> IP addresses as the other DHCP server was causing all sorts of
> problems. Anyway, the time they were getting from the DHCP server is
> at least 23 minutes off (sometimes hours!)
>
> Is there a way I can set my AD server to get the atomic time and let
> the client PC's get their time from this server?
>
> Fran

Fran

      10th Jun 2004
This network is on an AD domain but the time on the workstations is
not even CLOSE to the time on the server (which remains accurate, by
the way.) Someone told me that the DHCP configuration would also
update time on these workstations.

I'll review the link, Thanks, Richard!

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:53:05 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If your Active Directory domain is working correctly this is what should be
>happening right now. DHCP does not synchronize time, only hands out IP
>addresses. Read here:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=216734

Phillip Windell

      10th Jun 2004
Make sure all the machines are on the correct time zone. If the time is
close to exactly one hour or two hours, etc.,...then it may be a time zone
issue.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This network is on an AD domain but the time on the workstations is
> not even CLOSE to the time on the server (which remains accurate, by
> the way.) Someone told me that the DHCP configuration would also
> update time on these workstations.
>
> I'll review the link, Thanks, Richard!
>
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:53:05 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >If your Active Directory domain is working correctly this is what should

be
> >happening right now. DHCP does not synchronize time, only hands out IP
> >addresses. Read here:
> >
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=216734

Fran

      11th Jun 2004
Setting the proper DNS records and settings in the AD controller
worked the trick. Thanks, you guys, for all your assistance. It seems
that DNS rules AD.

Fran

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:41:17 -0500, "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote:

>Make sure all the machines are on the correct time zone. If the time is
>close to exactly one hour or two hours, etc.,...then it may be a time zone
>issue.

Richard G. Harper

      11th Jun 2004
Glad to help you get it straightened out.