Tidy up system tray

Rosie

      26th Mar 2005
When I use 'Hide inactive icons' in the system tray, I find that after a
reboot the icons I have hidden show again. What I am looking for then is
a utility that will allow me to permanently hide or show icons as I
want. I tried Tray Factory but that was no better. Can anyone recommend
something please?
--
gillie

Mike Andrade

      26th Mar 2005
Rosie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> When I use 'Hide inactive icons' in the system tray, I find that
> after a reboot the icons I have hidden show again. What I am
> looking for then is a utility that will allow me to permanently
> hide or show icons as I want. I tried Tray Factory but that was no
> better. Can anyone recommend something please?

Delete the icons you don't want.

--
Mike
Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long

Rosie

      26th Mar 2005
In message <Xns9625A9EB74E84maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18>, Mike Andrade
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Rosie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> When I use 'Hide inactive icons' in the system tray, I find that
>> after a reboot the icons I have hidden show again. What I am
>> looking for then is a utility that will allow me to permanently
>> hide or show icons as I want. I tried Tray Factory but that was no
>> better. Can anyone recommend something please?

>Delete the icons you don't want.

I can't. The LAN icon doesn't have a a delete. I don't use the LAN so
there is no cable connected.
--
gillie

Mike Andrade

      26th Mar 2005
Rosie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In message <Xns9625A9EB74E84maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18>, Mike
> Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Rosie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> When I use 'Hide inactive icons' in the system tray, I find that
>>> after a reboot the icons I have hidden show again. What I am
>>> looking for then is a utility that will allow me to permanently
>>> hide or show icons as I want. I tried Tray Factory but that was
>>> no better. Can anyone recommend something please?

>>Delete the icons you don't want.
>>

> I can't. The LAN icon doesn't have a a delete. I don't use the LAN
> so there is no cable connected.

Then download one of the myriad tweak utilities available that allow
you to hide any desktop icons you desire.

--
Mike
Abandon all hope ye who have entered cyberspace.

Joe

      27th Mar 2005
"Rosie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <Xns9625A9EB74E84maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18>, Mike Andrade
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Rosie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> When I use 'Hide inactive icons' in the system tray, I find that
>>> after a reboot the icons I have hidden show again. What I am
>>> looking for then is a utility that will allow me to permanently
>>> hide or show icons as I want. I tried Tray Factory but that was no
>>> better. Can anyone recommend something please?

>>Delete the icons you don't want.
>>

> I can't. The LAN icon doesn't have a a delete. I don't use the LAN so
> there is no cable connected.
> --
> gillie

Do you mean the network connection icon with the two little
monitors? If so, you can easily get rid of that by clicking on
Start, Settings, Control Panel and double click on Network
Connections. Then right click on the connection and click
Properties and look for something that says "Show icon in
notification area when connected" and uncheck it.

Joe

Rosie

      27th Mar 2005
In message <Xns9625B33F8B0A9maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18>, Mike Andrade
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Rosie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In message <Xns9625A9EB74E84maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18>, Mike
>> Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>>Rosie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Delete the icons you don't want.
>>>

>> I can't. The LAN icon doesn't have a a delete. I don't use the LAN
>> so there is no cable connected.

>Then download one of the myriad tweak utilities available that allow
>you to hide any desktop icons you desire.

That is why I am posting, I'm asking for recommendations. I've tried
about 6 or 7 of these myriad tweak utilities and they either don't do
what I want or, in the case of Tray Devil, buggered up my system so I
couldn't start any program.
--
gillie

Rosie

      27th Mar 2005
In message <3Sp1e.3431$(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Rosie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <Xns9625A9EB74E84maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18>, Mike Andrade
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>>Rosie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Delete the icons you don't want.
>>>

>> I can't. The LAN icon doesn't have a a delete. I don't use the LAN so
>> there is no cable connected.
>> --
>> gillie

>Do you mean the network connection icon with the two little
>monitors? If so, you can easily get rid of that by clicking on
>Start, Settings, Control Panel and double click on Network
>Connections. Then right click on the connection and click
>Properties and look for something that says "Show icon in
>notification area when connected" and uncheck it.
>
>Joe

No, no, no. I did say the LAN icon. I _want_ the connection icon with
the 2 little monitors, I'm happy with that. Because I don't have a LAN
cable connected, this icon (which again, shows 2 little monitors but
with a dirty great red X across it, won't go away.
--
gillie

MLC

      27th Mar 2005
_Rosie_, domenica 27/mar/2005:

> In message <3Sp1e.3431$(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>"Rosie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In message <Xns9625A9EB74E84maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18>, Mike Andrade
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>> I can't. The LAN icon doesn't have a a delete. I don't use the LAN so
>>> there is no cable connected.
>>> --
>>> gillie

>>Do you mean the network connection icon with the two little
>>monitors? If so, you can easily get rid of that by clicking on
>>Start, Settings, Control Panel and double click on Network
>>Connections. Then right click on the connection and click
>>Properties and look for something that says "Show icon in
>>notification area when connected" and uncheck it.
>>
>>Joe
>>

> No, no, no. I did say the LAN icon. I _want_ the connection icon with
> the 2 little monitors, I'm happy with that. Because I don't have a LAN
> cable connected, this icon (which again, shows 2 little monitors but
> with a dirty great red X across it, won't go away.

Hi Rosie,
this is a coincidence: I managed to get rid of that icon just yesterday.
I don't have a LAN, so I couldn't stand that icon in the system tray
anymore...
Go to the Network Connections window, highlight the LAN connection, and
then, on the left of the window, click on "Disable connection" or something
like that (in Italian is "Disabilita periferica di rete").

Ciao,
--
Maria Luisa C - 27/03/2005 11.05.37

Rosie

      27th Mar 2005
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, MLC
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>_Rosie_, domenica 27/mar/2005:
>
>> In message <3Sp1e.3431$(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>>"Rosie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Do you mean the network connection icon with the two little
>>>monitors? If so, you can easily get rid of that by clicking on
>>>Start, Settings, Control Panel and double click on Network
>>>Connections. Then right click on the connection and click
>>>Properties and look for something that says "Show icon in
>>>notification area when connected" and uncheck it.
>>>
>>>Joe
>>>

>> No, no, no. I did say the LAN icon. I _want_ the connection icon with
>> the 2 little monitors, I'm happy with that. Because I don't have a LAN
>> cable connected, this icon (which again, shows 2 little monitors but
>> with a dirty great red X across it, won't go away.

>Hi Rosie,
>this is a coincidence: I managed to get rid of that icon just yesterday.
>I don't have a LAN, so I couldn't stand that icon in the system tray
>anymore...

Ah, a kindred spirit!
>Go to the Network Connections window, highlight the LAN connection, and
>then, on the left of the window, click on "Disable connection" or something
>like that (in Italian is "Disabilita periferica di rete").
>
>Ciao,

Got it! Thank you very much.
--
gillie

John Corliss

      27th Mar 2005
Rosie wrote:
> When I use 'Hide inactive icons' in the system tray, I find that after a
> reboot the icons I have hidden show again. What I am looking for then is
> a utility that will allow me to permanently hide or show icons as I
> want. I tried Tray Factory but that was no better. Can anyone recommend
> something please?

Other than the suggestions that others will make for good freeware that
does what you want, I suggest that you consider whether or not you
actually need so many icons in your system tray. Most, if not all of
them, represent some program running in the background. This may lead to
system instability (XP handles memory better than earlier versions
though). You might want to consider looking within the programs they
represent and see if there's some way to turn them off if you never use
them anyway.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls.