Third Party Kernel - Q327516

Nayef Mauge

      29th Oct 2006
When trying to restore corrupted files on my drive and used the windows CD
setup disk, the following message appeared :-

Setup cannot upgrade due to third-party kernel.

Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel)
on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains updated
versions of those files, which work to provide a stable environment for your
programs. Due to this modification, the Service Pack will not be installed.
For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327516 at
http://support.microsoft.com.

Googling around and finding anything about Q327516 did not help at all. It
seems so many people are facing a problem with this issue.

Need to eliminiate that corrupted driver or file from the system in order to
restore the corrupted files.

Any help appreciated.

DatabaseBen

      29th Oct 2006
My simple search came up with results in Russian or something..
You probably got a boot virus.

In consideration for my last response in a prior post from you,
I think that you should simply go buy a new harddrive, small and
cheap but it is your preference. Then install it as the master and
put a functional o.s.
on the new harddrive. Afterwards install the disfuntional hd as
the slave and operate on it from your functional hd/os.

I would not suggest to install the harddrive on a different computer
because it might have undesireable affects on a functional pc.

If and when you do get a secondary o.s. operational and you
have full access to the disfunctional o.s., give us a post so that
we can provide some help or tools that will be useful.

Otherwise, as you have found, there have been no specific solutions
to address this exact issue.
"Nayef Mauge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23AuJ$2x%(E-Mail Removed)...
> When trying to restore corrupted files on my drive and used the windows CD
> setup disk, the following message appeared :-
>
> Setup cannot upgrade due to third-party kernel.
>
> Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel)
> on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains updated
> versions of those files, which work to provide a stable environment for
> your programs. Due to this modification, the Service Pack will not be
> installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327516 at
> http://support.microsoft.com.
>
> Googling around and finding anything about Q327516 did not help at all. It
> seems so many people are facing a problem with this issue.
>
> Need to eliminiate that corrupted driver or file from the system in order
> to restore the corrupted files.
>
> Any help appreciated.

DatabaseBen

      29th Oct 2006
i did a little more research
and found issues with the driver
amoung latin and russion countries

I also looked here
http://aumha.org/win4/kbhrdwar.htm
and microsoft.com and there is
no mention of that kb. My guesss
is that there never was such a kb at
microsoft.com

the error message is like a roose
and is sending you on a wild goose chase
i don't think it is a virus, but a corrupted
driver still being passed around with
old software or something...

sorry, but it sounds like your options
are very limited....

hope the prior responses has helped....

"DatabaseBen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e0pvYX2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My simple search came up with results in Russian or something..
> You probably got a boot virus.
>
> In consideration for my last response in a prior post from you,
> I think that you should simply go buy a new harddrive, small and
> cheap but it is your preference. Then install it as the master and
> put a functional o.s.
> on the new harddrive. Afterwards install the disfuntional hd as
> the slave and operate on it from your functional hd/os.
>
> I would not suggest to install the harddrive on a different computer
> because it might have undesireable affects on a functional pc.
>
> If and when you do get a secondary o.s. operational and you
> have full access to the disfunctional o.s., give us a post so that
> we can provide some help or tools that will be useful.
>
> Otherwise, as you have found, there have been no specific solutions
> to address this exact issue.
> "Nayef Mauge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23AuJ$2x%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When trying to restore corrupted files on my drive and used the windows
>> CD setup disk, the following message appeared :-
>>
>> Setup cannot upgrade due to third-party kernel.
>>
>> Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files
>> (kernel) on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains
>> updated versions of those files, which work to provide a stable
>> environment for your programs. Due to this modification, the Service
>> Pack will not be installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base
>> article Q327516 at http://support.microsoft.com.
>>
>> Googling around and finding anything about Q327516 did not help at all.
>> It seems so many people are facing a problem with this issue.
>>
>> Need to eliminiate that corrupted driver or file from the system in order
>> to restore the corrupted files.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.

Nayef Mauge

      29th Oct 2006

Finally, it seems that the problem is solved by running

the following commands. I managed to get the system

back in order, except for the mcafee software whereby

still the problem exists, upon starting mcafee installer

a blank screen is shown still.

regsvr32 jscript

regsvr32 vbscript

regsvr32 /i mshtml

Thanks for the help and much apprciated your

concern and help

The System Restore

"DatabaseBen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uEbOmt2%(E-Mail Removed)...
>i did a little more research
> and found issues with the driver
> amoung latin and russion countries
>
> I also looked here
> http://aumha.org/win4/kbhrdwar.htm
> and microsoft.com and there is
> no mention of that kb. My guesss
> is that there never was such a kb at
> microsoft.com
>
> the error message is like a roose
> and is sending you on a wild goose chase
> i don't think it is a virus, but a corrupted
> driver still being passed around with
> old software or something...
>
> sorry, but it sounds like your options
> are very limited....
>
> hope the prior responses has helped....
>
> "DatabaseBen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e0pvYX2%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My simple search came up with results in Russian or something..
>> You probably got a boot virus.
>>
>> In consideration for my last response in a prior post from you,
>> I think that you should simply go buy a new harddrive, small and
>> cheap but it is your preference. Then install it as the master and
>> put a functional o.s.
>> on the new harddrive. Afterwards install the disfuntional hd as
>> the slave and operate on it from your functional hd/os.
>>
>> I would not suggest to install the harddrive on a different computer
>> because it might have undesireable affects on a functional pc.
>>
>> If and when you do get a secondary o.s. operational and you
>> have full access to the disfunctional o.s., give us a post so that
>> we can provide some help or tools that will be useful.
>>
>> Otherwise, as you have found, there have been no specific solutions
>> to address this exact issue.
>> "Nayef Mauge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23AuJ$2x%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> When trying to restore corrupted files on my drive and used the windows
>>> CD setup disk, the following message appeared :-
>>>
>>> Setup cannot upgrade due to third-party kernel.
>>> ===============================================
>>>
>>> Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files
>>> (kernel) on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains
>>> updated versions of those files, which work to provide a stable
>>> environment for your programs. Due to this modification, the Service
>>> Pack will not be installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base
>>> article Q327516 at http://support.microsoft.com.
>>>
>>> Googling around and finding anything about Q327516 did not help at all.
>>> It seems so many people are facing a problem with this issue.
>>>
>>> Need to eliminiate that corrupted driver or file from the system in
>>> order
>>> to restore the corrupted files.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.

DatabaseBen

      29th Oct 2006
i'm glad you found.
now, stop whatever you are doing and
make disk images for the future.

also, there has bee some issues between mcafee
and that wga notification update and creates
systems disfunction.

i'm sure more is on the net...

"Nayef Mauge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OX%23RW%234%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Finally, it seems that the problem is solved by running
>
> the following commands. I managed to get the system
>
> back in order, except for the mcafee software whereby
>
> still the problem exists, upon starting mcafee installer
>
> a blank screen is shown still.
>

> regsvr32 jscript
>
> regsvr32 vbscript
>
> regsvr32 /i mshtml
>

> Thanks for the help and much apprciated your
>
> concern and help
>

> The System Restore
>

> "DatabaseBen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uEbOmt2%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>i did a little more research
>> and found issues with the driver
>> amoung latin and russion countries
>>
>> I also looked here
>> http://aumha.org/win4/kbhrdwar.htm
>> and microsoft.com and there is
>> no mention of that kb. My guesss
>> is that there never was such a kb at
>> microsoft.com
>>
>> the error message is like a roose
>> and is sending you on a wild goose chase
>> i don't think it is a virus, but a corrupted
>> driver still being passed around with
>> old software or something...
>>
>> sorry, but it sounds like your options
>> are very limited....
>>
>> hope the prior responses has helped....
>>
>> "DatabaseBen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e0pvYX2%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My simple search came up with results in Russian or something..
>>> You probably got a boot virus.
>>>
>>> In consideration for my last response in a prior post from you,
>>> I think that you should simply go buy a new harddrive, small and
>>> cheap but it is your preference. Then install it as the master and
>>> put a functional o.s.
>>> on the new harddrive. Afterwards install the disfuntional hd as
>>> the slave and operate on it from your functional hd/os.
>>>
>>> I would not suggest to install the harddrive on a different computer
>>> because it might have undesireable affects on a functional pc.
>>>
>>> If and when you do get a secondary o.s. operational and you
>>> have full access to the disfunctional o.s., give us a post so that
>>> we can provide some help or tools that will be useful.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, as you have found, there have been no specific solutions
>>> to address this exact issue.
>>> "Nayef Mauge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23AuJ$2x%(E-Mail Removed)...

New Member
Location: Fontana, CA USA

      24th Mar 2007
Now I am having this trouble, and I found the solution by searching for the text of the error message, rather than the KB#, at Microsoft's web site.

The URL for the New KB article is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327101
With a little line which reads: "This article was previously published under Q327101"

It states:
"This behavior may occur if your computer has a modified version of the Ntoskrnl.exe file that uses the /KERNEL switch in the Boot.ini file. This condition may exist because your computer has a third-party program installed that customizes the graphics that are displayed when your computer starts up. Third-party programs that can cause this condition include the following: •BootXP•LogonUI Boot Randomizer

They go on to describe how to uninstall the offending program, rather than explaining that you can simply choose to boot to your original OS (from the OS Choices menu), or at the very least disable the program from starting during the session in which you want to do the update.

Hope this helps any future victims who happen to land here looking for help.