Theme always resets to Windows Classics on login

Gary

      26th Nov 2004
Just got a new XP computer (SP 2 Professional), and I've got a very
strange problem. I've done numerous internet searches, and have found
this problem to exist all the way back to 2002. I have tried a few
things, but nothing fixes the problem. Amazingly, there is NOTHING
about this on the MS support site. The problem seems to be two-fold:

1) No matter what I set my XP theme to, if I log out, and log back in,
it will be reset to the Windows Classic theme.

2) In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, for Start Menu there is only
an option to use the Classic Start Menu.

The Theme service IS running!

If anyone has the answer, PLEASE let me know. Do not respond to me
privately. The email address is no longer valid.

Thank you!

Gary

Eric McG

      26th Nov 2004
It may have been configure that way using the Group Policy Editor. See the
following article that details this procedure. If applicable, you can then
disable these settings.

How to use the Group Policy Editor to change default systems settings
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../winxpgpe.html

This option is only available in WinXP Pro.

--
Hope this helps..Reply in newsgroup only.
Eric McGillicudy

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got a new XP computer (SP 2 Professional), and I've got a very
> strange problem. I've done numerous internet searches, and have found
> this problem to exist all the way back to 2002. I have tried a few
> things, but nothing fixes the problem. Amazingly, there is NOTHING
> about this on the MS support site. The problem seems to be two-fold:
>
> 1) No matter what I set my XP theme to, if I log out, and log back in,
> it will be reset to the Windows Classic theme.
>
> 2) In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, for Start Menu there is only
> an option to use the Classic Start Menu.
>
> The Theme service IS running!
>
> If anyone has the answer, PLEASE let me know. Do not respond to me
> privately. The email address is no longer valid.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gary

Ronnie Vernon MVP

      26th Nov 2004
Gary wrote:
> Just got a new XP computer (SP 2 Professional), and I've got a very
> strange problem. I've done numerous internet searches, and have found
> this problem to exist all the way back to 2002. I have tried a few
> things, but nothing fixes the problem. Amazingly, there is NOTHING
> about this on the MS support site. The problem seems to be two-fold:
>
> 1) No matter what I set my XP theme to, if I log out, and log back in,
> it will be reset to the Windows Classic theme.
>
> 2) In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, for Start Menu there is only
> an option to use the Classic Start Menu.
>
> The Theme service IS running!
>
> If anyone has the answer, PLEASE let me know. Do not respond to me
> privately. The email address is no longer valid.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gary

Go to the following website and scroll down to Line 214, right side. Click
the link to download the reg file and double click the file to run.

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

Gary

      26th Nov 2004
Nope, this is the first place I checked. There is nothing configured
in there to force anything like that. Any other ideas?

Gary

"Eric McG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> It may have been configure that way using the Group Policy Editor. See the
> following article that details this procedure. If applicable, you can then
> disable these settings.
>
> How to use the Group Policy Editor to change default systems settings
> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../winxpgpe.html
>
> This option is only available in WinXP Pro.
>
> --
> Hope this helps..Reply in newsgroup only.
> Eric McGillicudy
>
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just got a new XP computer (SP 2 Professional), and I've got a very
> > strange problem. I've done numerous internet searches, and have found
> > this problem to exist all the way back to 2002. I have tried a few
> > things, but nothing fixes the problem. Amazingly, there is NOTHING
> > about this on the MS support site. The problem seems to be two-fold:
> >
> > 1) No matter what I set my XP theme to, if I log out, and log back in,
> > it will be reset to the Windows Classic theme.
> >
> > 2) In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, for Start Menu there is only
> > an option to use the Classic Start Menu.
> >
> > The Theme service IS running!
> >
> > If anyone has the answer, PLEASE let me know. Do not respond to me
> > privately. The email address is no longer valid.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Gary

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVlcmJ1Y2s=?=

      26th Nov 2004
Aer you clicking " apply " , " OK " after you select your desired theme?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Just got a new XP computer (SP 2 Professional), and I've got a very
> > strange problem. I've done numerous internet searches, and have found
> > this problem to exist all the way back to 2002. I have tried a few
> > things, but nothing fixes the problem. Amazingly, there is NOTHING
> > about this on the MS support site. The problem seems to be two-fold:
> >
> > 1) No matter what I set my XP theme to, if I log out, and log back in,
> > it will be reset to the Windows Classic theme.
> >
> > 2) In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, for Start Menu there is only
> > an option to use the Classic Start Menu.
> >
> > The Theme service IS running!
> >
> > If anyone has the answer, PLEASE let me know. Do not respond to me
> > privately. The email address is no longer valid.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Gary

> Go to the following website and scroll down to Line 214, right side. Click
> the link to download the reg file and double click the file to run.
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Gary

      29th Nov 2004
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<eGBB0Y#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Gary wrote:
> > Just got a new XP computer (SP 2 Professional), and I've got a very
> > strange problem. I've done numerous internet searches, and have found
> > this problem to exist all the way back to 2002. I have tried a few
> > things, but nothing fixes the problem. Amazingly, there is NOTHING
> > about this on the MS support site. The problem seems to be two-fold:
> >
> > 1) No matter what I set my XP theme to, if I log out, and log back in,
> > it will be reset to the Windows Classic theme.
> >
> > 2) In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, for Start Menu there is only
> > an option to use the Classic Start Menu.
> >
> > The Theme service IS running!
> >
> > If anyone has the answer, PLEASE let me know. Do not respond to me
> > privately. The email address is no longer valid.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Gary

> Go to the following website and scroll down to Line 214, right side. Click
> the link to download the reg file and double click the file to run.
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

Installed the reg file. That did not fix either problem. I also tried
#187 at that web site. Nothing. Both problems still exist.

Gary

Ronnie Vernon MVP

      29th Nov 2004
Gary wrote:
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<eGBB0Y#(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Gary wrote:
>>> Just got a new XP computer (SP 2 Professional), and I've got a very
>>> strange problem. I've done numerous internet searches, and have
>>> found this problem to exist all the way back to 2002. I have tried
>>> a few things, but nothing fixes the problem. Amazingly, there is
>>> NOTHING about this on the MS support site. The problem seems to be
>>> two-fold:
>>>
>>> 1) No matter what I set my XP theme to, if I log out, and log back
>>> in, it will be reset to the Windows Classic theme.
>>>
>>> 2) In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, for Start Menu there is
>>> only an option to use the Classic Start Menu.
>>>
>>> The Theme service IS running!
>>>
>>> If anyone has the answer, PLEASE let me know. Do not respond to me
>>> privately. The email address is no longer valid.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Gary

>> Go to the following website and scroll down to Line 214, right side.
>> Click the link to download the reg file and double click the file to
>> run.
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

> Installed the reg file. That did not fix either problem. I also tried
> #187 at that web site. Nothing. Both problems still exist.

Gary

Did you try the "Replace Luna Theme" on the right side of line 187 on
Kelly's website?

If not, download the file and unzip it. Replace the C:\Windows\Resources
folder with the downloaded Resources folder.
--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Gary

      1st Dec 2004
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Gary wrote:
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:<eGBB0Y#(E-Mail Removed)>...

> >> Go to the following website and scroll down to Line 214, right side.
> >> Click the link to download the reg file and double click the file to
> >> run.
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

> > Installed the reg file. That did not fix either problem. I also tried
> > #187 at that web site. Nothing. Both problems still exist.
> >

> Gary
>
> Did you try the "Replace Luna Theme" on the right side of line 187 on
> Kelly's website?
>
> If not, download the file and unzip it. Replace the C:\Windows\Resources
> folder with the downloaded Resources folder.

I did try that. The problems mentioned above still exist.

Gary

Ronnie Vernon MVP

      1st Dec 2004
Gary wrote:
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Gary wrote:
>>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:<eGBB0Y#(E-Mail Removed)>...

>>> Installed the reg file. That did not fix either problem. I also
>>> tried #187 at that web site. Nothing. Both problems still exist.
>>>

>> Gary
>>
>> Did you try the "Replace Luna Theme" on the right side of line 187 on
>> Kelly's website?
>>
>> If not, download the file and unzip it. Replace the
>> C:\Windows\Resources folder with the downloaded Resources folder.

> I did try that. The problems mentioned above still exist.
>
> Gary

Gary

Go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press OK. In the Services
window, scroll down to the Themes service and double click to open the
details window. Make sure that the Stsrt Up Type is Automatic. Click the
Start button under Status to make sure the service is running.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Gary

      2nd Dec 2004
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<O2b9Kw#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Gary wrote:
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> >> Gary
> >>
> >> Did you try the "Replace Luna Theme" on the right side of line 187 on
> >> Kelly's website?
> >>
> >> If not, download the file and unzip it. Replace the
> >> C:\Windows\Resources folder with the downloaded Resources folder.

> > I did try that. The problems mentioned above still exist.
> >
> > Gary

> Gary
>
> Go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press OK. In the Services
> window, scroll down to the Themes service and double click to open the
> details window. Make sure that the Stsrt Up Type is Automatic. Click the
> Start button under Status to make sure the service is running.

Ronnie,

I had mentioned in my original message that the Themes Service is
running. It is running, and the startup is set to automatic.

Gary