Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller, PCMCIA card problem

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

      14th Sep 2005
I've been trying - literally for years - to add USB2 ports to my Compaq
Presario 1722TC laptop. My mouse is plugged into a Sunix USB2 CardBus at the
moment, so I should be content, right? Wrong.
My mouse works fine, but every time I plug my Fujitsu Siemens USB2 flash
disk into the bus the same thing happens: the device is recognised, I am able
to view the files on the flash disk, and then a few seconds later my system
seizes and I have to hold the power key down to reboot.
I know what you're thinking: it must be the flashdisk. That would be a
conveniently easy answer, but it's not the case, as the disk works fine on
other computers.
It isn't this particular USB2 CardBus either, because the same thing (or
nothing at all) has happened every time I have tested numerous other cards.
So it must, surely be the Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller
that's at fault. How do I fix it? Has anyone else had the same problem?
I have Windows driver version 5.1.2600.0, date 7/1/2001 installed. When I
run the update wizard it says that it can't find a more suitable driver.
Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUuYQ==?=

      14th Sep 2005
you should try the manufacturers website for your updated driver, never ever
rely on windows update for hardware drivers !!
--
there are no problems just challenges

"Mike" wrote:

> I've been trying - literally for years - to add USB2 ports to my Compaq
> Presario 1722TC laptop. My mouse is plugged into a Sunix USB2 CardBus at the
> moment, so I should be content, right? Wrong.
> My mouse works fine, but every time I plug my Fujitsu Siemens USB2 flash
> disk into the bus the same thing happens: the device is recognised, I am able
> to view the files on the flash disk, and then a few seconds later my system
> seizes and I have to hold the power key down to reboot.
> I know what you're thinking: it must be the flashdisk. That would be a
> conveniently easy answer, but it's not the case, as the disk works fine on
> other computers.
> It isn't this particular USB2 CardBus either, because the same thing (or
> nothing at all) has happened every time I have tested numerous other cards.
> So it must, surely be the Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller
> that's at fault. How do I fix it? Has anyone else had the same problem?
> I have Windows driver version 5.1.2600.0, date 7/1/2001 installed. When I
> run the update wizard it says that it can't find a more suitable driver.
> Any ideas?

bxf

      14th Sep 2005
I'm beginning to think that manufacturers out of habit release hardware
which they know does not work. Over and over I buy something with a
problem, only to see a new driver that fixes the problem released
shortly thereafter.

I'd be willing to bet that some updates have become available since
2001 for your hardware. Google for TI 1410 cardbus and you are sure to
find something. Or go directly to http://www.driverguide.com .

---
We judge others by our own limitations.