PC Review

temp 8 digit file, original corrupt

Dave Unger

3rd Apr 2012
Hello,

I have a client who is running an xl2003 application (os windows 2000) on anumber of laptops in his office. Simply stated, the application (master) opens a data workbook, transfers the info into the master sheet, then closes the data workbook. The master data is updated/manipulated, then saved asa file, overwriting the original data workbook.

Mostly this is working well, but occasionally heís ending up with a temp 8 digit file plus a corrupted data file (original). The 8 digit file is Ok.Seems to be happening on any of the computers.

Iíve run this application on my system endlessly, and I cannot replicate the problem.

Did a lot of searching on the Internet, found a lot of good stuff, including a very interesting post by Dave Peterson, stating that antivirus softwareand/or network errors can interrupt the save process.

Which may explain part of the problem, but I donít understand why the original file is becoming corrupted in my scenario. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

DaveU

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: