Teacher Needs Help: Long Division Symbol in Word 2007

Stumped Teacher

      12th Jun 2008
Does anyone know where the long division symbol is in Equation Editor for
Word 2007? I've used it in Word 2000, but the new version has got me stumped.

Stefan Blom

      12th Jun 2008
If you can't find the symbol in the new equation editor, note that you can
still make use of the old equation editor in Word 2007: Just click the
Insert tab | Object | Object, and choose Microsoft Equation 3.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stumped Teacher" <Stumped http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know where the long division symbol is in Equation Editor for
> Word 2007? I've used it in Word 2000, but the new version has got me
> stumped.

dlewis

      19th Feb 2009
But is it there at all? No one here can find it. Is there a way to place a
shortcut icon version 2003 and use it in 2007 rather than go through the
process you described?
It seems to be better for more advanced functions than for the basics.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> If you can't find the symbol in the new equation editor, note that you can
> still make use of the old equation editor in Word 2007: Just click the
> Insert tab | Object | Object, and choose Microsoft Equation 3.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Stumped Teacher" <Stumped (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know where the long division symbol is in Equation Editor for
> > Word 2007? I've used it in Word 2000, but the new version has got me
> > stumped.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      19th Feb 2009
What exactly do you mean by "long division symbol"? There is certainly a
division symbol (รท) on the Equation Tools Design tab.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"dlewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But is it there at all? No one here can find it. Is there a way to place
> shortcut icon version 2003 and use it in 2007 rather than go through the
> process you described?
> It seems to be better for more advanced functions than for the basics.
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> If you can't find the symbol in the new equation editor, note that you
>> can
>> still make use of the old equation editor in Word 2007: Just click the
>> Insert tab | Object | Object, and choose Microsoft Equation 3.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Stumped Teacher" <Stumped (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Does anyone know where the long division symbol is in Equation Editor
>> > for
>> > Word 2007? I've used it in Word 2000, but the new version has got me
>> > stumped.

Mary Sauer

      19th Feb 2009
Maybe the old fashion long division with remainders.
http://www.mathsisfun.com/long_division2.html

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What exactly do you mean by "long division symbol"? There is certainly a
> division symbol (๗) on the Equation Tools Design tab.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "dlewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> But is it there at all? No one here can find it. Is there a way to place a
>> shortcut icon version 2003 and use it in 2007 rather than go through the
>> process you described?
>> It seems to be better for more advanced functions than for the basics.
>>
>> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>>
>>> If you can't find the symbol in the new equation editor, note that you can
>>> still make use of the old equation editor in Word 2007: Just click the
>>> Insert tab | Object | Object, and choose Microsoft Equation 3.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stefan Blom
>>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>>

>>> "Stumped Teacher" <Stumped (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      20th Feb 2009
I suspected that might be the case. Your example can be created with pipe
characters and overlines, but it's not quite the same as the "real thing"
which looks more like a square root radical. The symbol in the old Equation
Editor looks rather like a right parenthesis and an overline.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Mary Sauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe the old fashion long division with remainders.
> http://www.mathsisfun.com/long_division2.html
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What exactly do you mean by "long division symbol"? There is certainly a
>> division symbol (๗) on the Equation Tools Design tab.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "dlewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> But is it there at all? No one here can find it. Is there a way to
>>> place a
>>> shortcut icon version 2003 and use it in 2007 rather than go through the
>>> process you described?
>>> It seems to be better for more advanced functions than for the basics.

MarvinM

      6th Apr 2009
Yes. It's in the "Fractions and Radicals" group, second row, second button.

"Stumped Teacher" wrote:

> Does anyone know where the long division symbol is in Equation Editor for
> Word 2007? I've used it in Word 2000, but the new version has got me stumped.

Teacher

      9th Jul 2009
If I'm not mistaken, that's the square root symbol. I'm looking for the same
long division symbol. Any more ideas?

"MarvinM" wrote:

> Yes. It's in the "Fractions and Radicals" group, second row, second button.
>
> "Stumped Teacher" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where the long division symbol is in Equation Editor for
> > Word 2007? I've used it in Word 2000, but the new version has got me stumped.

WhiteRat

      9th Jul 2009
In my 2007 Word, they (one with answer field, one without) are in the bottom
row of the Fraction and radical templates group.

"Teacher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I'm not mistaken, that's the square root symbol. I'm looking for the
> same
> long division symbol. Any more ideas?
>
> "MarvinM" wrote:
>
>> Yes. It's in the "Fractions and Radicals" group, second row, second
>> button.
>>
>> "Stumped Teacher" wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know where the long division symbol is in Equation Editor
>> > for
>> > Word 2007? I've used it in Word 2000, but the new version has got me
>> > stumped.

Miss B

      28th Feb 2010
If you are using Microsoft Word 2007, click 'insert' then go to the 'shapes'
tab.
Go down to the 'lines' section and you will see a shape called 'elbow
connector' If you click this to insert it you will notice that the green
rotate handles will appear... Click on this and rotate the shape around until
it faces the right way for a long division symbol.

If you would like to type in the numbers for your students simply add text
boxes next to the symbol and type your numbers