What is Tcpip?

William B. Lurie

      17th Mar 2010
It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
Events Monitor...
and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it, what
do I lose if I disable it, or what?

William B. Lurie

      17th Mar 2010
William B. Lurie wrote:
> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
> Events Monitor...
> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it, what
> do I lose if I disable it, or what?

Let me add the following 'event':

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Tcpip
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4201
Date: 3/17/2010
Time: 10:15:48 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPAQ-2006
The system detected that network adapter
\DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to
the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

So my follow-up question is:

I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
DSL. Am I a network? Do I need a network adapter?

Tom Willett

      17th Mar 2010
Google for tcpip and you'll have your answer.

"William B. Lurie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: Let me add the following 'event':
:
: Event Type: Information
: Event Source: Tcpip
: Event Category: None
: Event ID: 4201
: Date: 3/17/2010
: Time: 10:15:48 AM
: User: N/A
: Computer: COMPAQ-2006
: The system detected that network adapter
: \DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to
: the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
:
: For more information, see Help and Support Center at
: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
: Data:
: 0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
: 0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
: 0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
: 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
: 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
:
: So my follow-up question is:
:
: I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
: DSL. Am I a network? Do I need a network adapter?

Ken Blake, MVP

      17th Mar 2010
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:56:40 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
> DSL. Am I a network?

Two answers to that question:

1. You are part of the network called the internet.

2. You are not part of any local network.

> Do I need a network adapter?

You don't need more than you have, but you already have one. That's
what the ethernet cable from the DSL modem plugs into--either as part
of your motherboard or as a separate NIC (network interface card).

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

William B. Lurie

      17th Mar 2010
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:56:40 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
>> DSL. Am I a network?

> Two answers to that question:
>
> 1. You are part of the network called the internet.
>
> 2. You are not part of any local network.
>

>> Do I need a network adapter?

> You don't need more than you have, but you already have one. That's
> what the ethernet cable from the DSL modem plugs into--either as part
> of your motherboard or as a separate NIC (network interface card).

Thanks, Ken. The reason for the specific query goes back
to the fact that Tcpip error is what is identified in Events
Monitor as what has been preventing my system from going
to hibernate if I set hibernate time for greater than 1 hour.

The Tcpip interface somehow gets repeated every hour and
I asked (and got not response) to the question of how do I
get that repeated automatic inquiry time lengthened. If it's
always one hour, it would seem logical that somewhere it is
*set* as 1 hour, and could be changed......

William B. Lurie

      18th Mar 2010

Ken, here's a specific example of how Tcipp has
prevented the system from going into hibernation.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Tcpip
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4201
Date: 3/17/2010
Time: 5:27:18 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPAQ-2006
The system detected that network adapter
\DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to
the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

This initiation of normal operation over the network
adapted was called by *something*, I'd like to know what,
and as a result the hibernation process, scheduled for
2 hours, was reset after 1 hour. Event Log has a similr
entry (4201) approximately every hour.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

William B. Lurie wrote:
> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:56:40 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
>>> DSL. Am I a network?

>> Two answers to that question:
>>
>> 1. You are part of the network called the internet.
>>
>> 2. You are not part of any local network.
>>

>>> Do I need a network adapter?

>> You don't need more than you have, but you already have one. That's
>> what the ethernet cable from the DSL modem plugs into--either as part
>> of your motherboard or as a separate NIC (network interface card).
>>

> Thanks, Ken. The reason for the specific query goes back
> to the fact that Tcpip error is what is identified in Events
> Monitor as what has been preventing my system from going
> to hibernate if I set hibernate time for greater than 1 hour.
>
> The Tcpip interface somehow gets repeated every hour and
> I asked (and got not response) to the question of how do I
> get that repeated automatic inquiry time lengthened. If it's
> always one hour, it would seem logical that somewhere it is
> *set* as 1 hour, and could be changed......

Ken Blake, MVP

      18th Mar 2010
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:12:42 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ken, here's a specific example of how Tcipp has
> prevented the system from going into hibernation.

Sorry, but I'll bow out of this thread. I know next to nothing about
hibernation.

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:12:42 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ken, here's a specific example of how Tcipp has
>> prevented the system from going into hibernation.

> Sorry, but I'll bow out of this thread. I know next to nothing about
> hibernation.

Okay, Ken. I understand.
But can somebody tell me where and how Tcpip gets initiated,
and whether there is an adjustment of every how often it
does its thing, since it has been established that Tcipp
is an 'event' that prevents hibernation from happening on
schedule.

A search for Tcipp led to a multitude of analysis in depth
and fixes for ills that are associated with it........but I
didn't see an answer to the above question.

Patrick Keenan

      18th Mar 2010

"William B. Lurie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
> Events Monitor...
> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it,

It provides network transport services, and you need it if you want to
connect to an ethernet network.

> what
> do I lose if I disable it, or what?

You'll lose any kind of internet access.

This hibernation issue may be related to a Wake-On-Lan setting for your
network adapter or BIOS. the same sort of thing can happen if moving hte
mouse or tapping a key will wake the system.

So, look at the adapter or BIOS settings.

But don't disableTCP/IP unless you really don't want to use your network
access at all.

HTH
-pk

HTH
-pk

Patrick Keenan

      18th Mar 2010

"William B. Lurie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
>> Events Monitor...
>> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it, what
>> do I lose if I disable it, or what?

> Let me add the following 'event':
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Tcpip
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 4201
> Date: 3/17/2010
> Time: 10:15:48 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
> The system detected that network adapter
> \DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to the
> network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

> Data:
> 0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
> 0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
> 0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>
> So my follow-up question is:
>
> I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
> DSL.

And the connection is TCP/IP. And if you're connected to an ISP, the
"isolation" of your system is arguable.

> Am I a network?

You aren't, but your machine is most certainly on one.

> Do I need a network adapter?

You already have one. That's what the ethernet cable plugs into.

HTH
-pk