System Time privilege

=?Utf-8?B?WFBQcm8gdXNlcg==?=

      10th Jan 2005
HI,
I have XP-Pro.
I am the administrator on the computer.
Yesterday I was trying to look at the calender and tried to double-click on
the time in the system tray and got an error message "You do not have
the proper privilege level to change the system time"

Any suggestions as to why this might be happeneing and possible solutions
for this problem?

Thanks!

Colin Nash [MVP]

      11th Jan 2005

"XPPro user" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI,
> I have XP-Pro.
> I am the administrator on the computer.
> Yesterday I was trying to look at the calender and tried to double-click
> on
> the time in the system tray and got an error message "You do not have
> the proper privilege level to change the system time"
>
> Any suggestions as to why this might be happeneing and possible solutions
> for this problem?
>
> Thanks!

Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy -->
Security Settings --> Local Policy --> User Rights Assignment

See if Administrators has the right to change system time.

If you are on a domain, a group policy object might be overriding your local
policy settings.

=?Utf-8?B?WFBQcm8gdXNlcg==?=

      11th Jan 2005
Hi,
I tried the suggested slution...system gets stuck at the "User Rights
assignment" and I cannot see anything. Have to reboot the system at this
point. I have waited for about 5 mins for something to show up when i go to
User Rights assignment. Should I wait longer than this?
Any other options?
Thanks for all the help

"Colin Nash [MVP]" wrote:

> "XPPro user" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > HI,
> > I have XP-Pro.
> > I am the administrator on the computer.
> > Yesterday I was trying to look at the calender and tried to double-click
> > on
> > the time in the system tray and got an error message "You do not have
> > the proper privilege level to change the system time"
> >
> > Any suggestions as to why this might be happeneing and possible solutions
> > for this problem?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy -->
> Security Settings --> Local Policy --> User Rights Assignment
>
> See if Administrators has the right to change system time.
>
> If you are on a domain, a group policy object might be overriding your local
> policy settings.

Colin Nash [MVP]

      11th Jan 2005

"XPPro user" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I tried the suggested slution...system gets stuck at the "User Rights
> assignment" and I cannot see anything. Have to reboot the system at this
> point. I have waited for about 5 mins for something to show up when i go
> User Rights assignment. Should I wait longer than this?
> Any other options?
> Thanks for all the help

No, it should be really quick to load up. Not really sure what the issue is
here... something is corrupted maybe? Something is really really out of
whack with your system. Depending on how much time you want to spend
fiddling trying to figure this out, maybe an OS reinstall is in order.
Sorry that I can provide more help there....

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP