System Restore Error 0xC0000056 - More Info

Kamiuk

      12th Jan 2004
I asked for help a few weeks ago when I mentioned that occassionally my System
Restore points disappear and SR stops working until I create a new restore
point. The MS Help explanation is "The System Restore filter encountered the
unexpected error '0xC0000056' while processing the file '....lnk' on the volume
'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume." Since then, I have
watched more closely and it seems that this only happens when I have used Real
Audio to listen to an online stream, and the files with which SR has a problem
all seem to be in the Real Audio History folder which is buried in the XP
DocumentsandSettings folder. However, it does not happen every time I use RA. I
may try deleting the history every time I use it to see if it fixes the
problem.

Has anyone else had the problem and been able to fix it - other than by not
using Real Audio? It is very annoying because there is no warning that SR has
stopped working and that the restore points have been deleted; I now check SR
daily and create a new point if there are none, but it's not the way it should
work. Again, TIA for any suggestions.

Prasad

      12th Jan 2004
Hi,

It may have arisen from corruption of a restore point through say a
crash or bad shutdown.

Right click my computer - properties. Click System restore and check 'Turn
off on all drives'. Click Ok and reboot - that will clear out everything
- check by deleting the contents of System Volume Information folders
(you will need to have Folders Options View showing Hidden files and not
hiding Protected mode ones).
Then turn on System Restore again, reboot once moreand make a manual point.

Best of luck,

Prasad

news:(E-Mail Removed)...