Will system restore bring back email files?

goldtech@worldpost.com

      5th Aug 2005
Hi,

Two questions:

I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files. Would (with
System Restore) going back to a restore point bring those files back?

The trouble happened during a time when a dialog window kept coming up
asking to compact email - now the files are gone w/out a trace... is
there a way to disable that dialog from ever coming up again? Using XP
sp2.

Thanks,
Lee G.

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

      5th Aug 2005
Lee

System Restore will not do that.. repost in the
public.inetexplorer.ie6.oultlookexpress, and outlook newsgroups.. e-mail
recovery is a little specialized..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Two questions:
>
> I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files. Would (with
> System Restore) going back to a restore point bring those files back?
>
> The trouble happened during a time when a dialog window kept coming up
> asking to compact email - now the files are gone w/out a trace... is
> there a way to disable that dialog from ever coming up again? Using XP
> sp2.
>
> Thanks,
> Lee G.

Bruce Chambers

      5th Aug 2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two questions:
>
> I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files. Would (with
> System Restore) going back to a restore point bring those files back?

Actually, Outlook stores emails in its *.pst file. And no, System
Restore can do nothing to recover lost portions of a data file.

> The trouble happened during a time when a dialog window kept coming up
> asking to compact email - now the files are gone w/out a trace... is
> there a way to disable that dialog from ever coming up again?

The dialog box didn't cause the problem; it was warning you that you
were leaving yourself vulnerable to data loss. Either develop the habit
of performing regular maintenance on your Outlook data files to keep
them from growing too large and fragmented, or resign yourself to
occasionally losing important information.

> Using XP
> sp2.

Largely irrelevant to an Outlook issue.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

      5th Aug 2005
"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files. Would (with
>> System Restore) going back to a restore point bring those files back?
>>

> Actually, Outlook stores emails in its *.pst file. And no, System
> Restore can do nothing to recover lost portions of a data file.
>

>> The trouble happened during a time when a dialog window kept coming
>> up asking to compact email - now the files are gone w/out a trace...
>> is there a way to disable that dialog from ever coming up again?

> The dialog box didn't cause the problem; it was warning you that you
> were leaving yourself vulnerable to data loss. Either develop the
> habit of performing regular maintenance on your Outlook data files to
> keep them from growing too large and fragmented, or resign yourself to
> occasionally losing important information.
>

>> Using XP
>> sp2.
>>

> Largely irrelevant to an Outlook issue.

I may be missing something, but how did you know he was using Outlook?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      5th Aug 2005

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Bruce Chambers <(E-Mail Removed)3t> typed:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files. Would (with
>> System Restore) going back to a restore point bring those files back?
>>

> Actually, Outlook stores emails in its *.pst file.

Yes....but a) I suspect..bmx = .dbx, which means OE, not Outlook...b) OE
will prompt you to compact, and Outlook won't.....

OE newsgroups here:

A good website for information on OE is:
http://www.insideoe.com/

<snip>

All Things Mopar

      5th Aug 2005
On this date, Bruce Chambers extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files.
>> Would (with System Restore) going back to a restore point
>> bring those files back?
>>

> Actually, Outlook stores emails in its *.pst file.
> And no, System
> Restore can do nothing to recover lost portions of a data
> file.

why wouldn't restoring to a date prior to the loss of data
/not/ bring it back, so long as that drive's data was being
monitored by the system restore function?

>> The trouble happened during a time when a dialog window
>> kept coming up asking to compact email - now the files are
>> gone w/out a trace... is there a way to disable that
>> dialog from ever coming up again?

> The dialog box didn't cause the problem; it was
> warning you that you
> were leaving yourself vulnerable to data loss. Either
> develop the habit of performing regular maintenance on your
> Outlook data files to keep them from growing too large and
> fragmented, or resign yourself to occasionally losing
> important information.
>

>> Using XP
>> sp2.
>>

> Largely irrelevant to an Outlook issue.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

PA Bear

      5th Aug 2005
No.

Why it happens:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

Recovering your data:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4
~~~~~~~~~~
Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

If WinXP SP2, don't try to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown while
Automatic Compacting is taking place.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com