System Mechanic - Duplicate Files

=?Utf-8?B?RG9uIE1jS2Vl?=

      27th Sep 2005
I just got System Mechanic 5. One feature is removing dupicate files. There
appears to be hundreds of megs used for duplicates. The largest seem to be
associated with Windows XP SP1 or SP2. For example:

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\sp1.cab
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab

I wouldn't expect both files to be needed. Is there some way to know which
to delete?

Do we even need .cab files after they have ben installed?
--
Don McKee

Wesley Vogel

      27th Sep 2005
For what it's worth...

The only sp1.cab that I have is in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386

But I do not have a C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles folder.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Don McKee <Atlanta.hot,mail.com> hunted and pecked:
> I just got System Mechanic 5. One feature is removing dupicate files.
> There appears to be hundreds of megs used for duplicates. The largest
> seem to be associated with Windows XP SP1 or SP2. For example:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\sp1.cab
> C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab
>
> I wouldn't expect both files to be needed. Is there some way to know which
> to delete?
>
> Do we even need .cab files after they have ben installed?
> --
> Don McKee

budman@suckeggs.ca

      27th Sep 2005
I have used System Mechanic for years. For what it's worth, the 'Duplicate
Files' feature is the ONLY one I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. This is
in RED at the top of the 'help' in that window:

"Warning: This tool is intended to search your system for duplicate files. Not
all of the files that are found are candidates for removal. Be sure to carefully
scrutinize each set of duplicate files before making the decision to remove any
of them. It is always recommended that you have a current backup of your system
before performing any intensive operations using the Duplicate Files tool."

>>I just got System Mechanic 5. One feature is removing dupicate files. There
>>appears to be hundreds of megs used for duplicates. The largest seem to be
>>associated with Windows XP SP1 or SP2. For example:
>>
>>C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\sp1.cab
>>C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab
>>
>>I wouldn't expect both files to be needed. Is there some way to know which
>>to delete?
>>
>>Do we even need .cab files after they have ben installed?

=?Utf-8?B?RG9uIE1jS2Vl?=

      28th Sep 2005
Thanks guys,

I think you are right. I have lots of machines and
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles has 441 megs on all of them. Microsoft is pretty
sharp and I wouldn't expect they would deprive all of their users of this
much memory if they were junk files. All my systems are working fine so I
don't think I will fix them.

Thanx again
--
Don McKee