System Error 1326 has occurred

dw3284

      5th Jul 2003
Can anyone offer advise on how I can resolve the error
msg. I'm getting?

Some Background:

I have a home network with a 4 systems. The main system
(we'll call this SystemX) is has all the main connections
(printer, dsl, cdrw, etc.) SystemX is running Windows XP
Professional. I'm trying to get my laptop (Let's call
this SystemY) which is running Windows 2000 Profesional
to connect to SystemX so that I can use the printer. I
was informed that I have to establish a trusted
connection and the best way to do that is to just mount a
shared drive from SystemX (TEMP) to SystemY. So, I have
been issuing the following command on SystemY:

net use * \\SystemX\TEMP * /USER:Administrator

This worked like a charm for a while, but then something
changed (don't ask me what... download of XP updates, new
software installs, etc.) and I can no longer use this
command. As a result I can no longer get to my printer on
SystemX.

The Error msg I get back is:

System Error 1326 has occurred
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

However, when I go to SystemX, I can login just fine with
the specified login and password and the rights on the
TEMP directory are wide open.

Can anyone offer any insight or just point me in the
right direction to troubleshoot what is going on here?

Thanx in Advance.

--D

- JimT.

      15th Jul 2003
I've had the same problem connecting to default admin share [c$] from
one WinXP Pro box to a second WinXP Pro box - both machines in
workgroup mode and not in a domain. This has been going on for quite
some time and not much info about it on the newsgroups.

Anyway, I fixed my problem like this:

Under Administrative Tools:
LOCAL SECURITY SETTINGS
LOCAL POLICIES
SECURITY OPTIONS
Network Access: Sharing and security model for local
accounts.

Value was "Guest Only ... " That seemed screwy to me, so I changed the
value to "Classic - local users authenticate as themselves"

BINGO !!!

Now I can map drives to default admin shares like a CHAMPION!

Hope this helps

- JimT.

"dw3284" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<043c01c3431c$b316b160$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Can anyone offer advise on how I can resolve the error
> msg. I'm getting?
>
> Some Background:
>
> I have a home network with a 4 systems. The main system
> (we'll call this SystemX) is has all the main connections
> (printer, dsl, cdrw, etc.) SystemX is running Windows XP
> Professional. I'm trying to get my laptop (Let's call
> this SystemY) which is running Windows 2000 Profesional
> to connect to SystemX so that I can use the printer. I
> was informed that I have to establish a trusted
> connection and the best way to do that is to just mount a
> shared drive from SystemX (TEMP) to SystemY. So, I have
> been issuing the following command on SystemY:
>
> net use * \\SystemX\TEMP * /USER:Administrator
>
> This worked like a charm for a while, but then something
> changed (don't ask me what... download of XP updates, new
> software installs, etc.) and I can no longer use this
> command. As a result I can no longer get to my printer on
> SystemX.
>
> The Error msg I get back is:
>
> System Error 1326 has occurred
> Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>
> However, when I go to SystemX, I can login just fine with
> the specified login and password and the rights on the
> TEMP directory are wide open.
>
> Can anyone offer any insight or just point me in the
> right direction to troubleshoot what is going on here?
>
> Thanx in Advance.
>
> --D

New Member

      16th Feb 2009
Thanks soooo much JimT. I was having problems with my Vista machine accessing the printer and shared folder on my XP machine but XP could access Vista and after 5 hours of unsuccessful searching I stumbled across your solution and it solved the problem. Many thanks Champ.

New Member

      18th Mar 2009
Yeah baby !!!! Great suggestion !!!
Thanks a lot !!!