System Configuration Utility

Rick R

      27th May 2004
Is there a way to run the system configuration Utility
(msconfig.exe) in Windows 2000 Pro? Or is it named
something else??

Jim Byrd

      27th May 2004
Hi Rick -
There are several approaches you can use to make controlling the Startup
process easier in Win2k.

1) If you still have access to it, you can move a copy of the Win98 msconfig
to your \System\ folder and it will work - just ignore any complaints it
makes.

2) Much better, you can go here:

http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads.html (XP Version which works in Win2k
just fine) or here:

http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2...nfig_setup.exe (stated to be a
Win2k Version - probably the same as the XP) or here:

http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm and download msconfig.

3) As good, but different, is to go here:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and get Mike Lin's Startup Control
Panel applet. A somewhat more difficult to use but more extensive program to
do the same thing is StartupList from here:
http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html, or even better, Autoruns from
here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/so...shtml#autoruns. Be very
careful about doing any Registry modifications directly unless you're
comfortable with this, and be sure that you BACKUP your Registry before
making any changes, so that you can recover if something goes wrong. Changes
made with StartUpCPL are less likely to cause problems, and are usually a
matter of just re-enabling the particular program. Another program of this
type that I can recommend is StartMan, free. You'll have to get it here:
http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/utils/startman10396.exe, as the pcforest site
is, sadly, no longer in business. Another such free program that I can
highly recommend is StartupRun, here: http://nirsoft.cjb.net/, particularly
if you suspect malware problems. And finally, StartupCop, here is excellent
and allows you to set up multiple "startup profiles":
http://www.pchelp911.com/files/startcop.zip. If you have problems with
suspected hijackers, you can look up and investigate suspect programs in
your StartUp lists here:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm (Recommended)

http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html (Recommended)

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm (Recommended)

All work fine for controlling startups, however, I would recommend getting
both of the last two. They're both free, and each has some advantages. For
example, the XP msconfig also gives you some visibility/control over
services, while Mike's applet offers much better startup control.

Also, you should read and print out/save for future reference mskb article
Q179365 here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q179365 which will
tell you the order in which things get loaded.

Two additional resources which have useful information relating to startup
issues are:

How to Delay Loading of Specific Services

HOWTO: Control Device Driver Load Order

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q115/4/86.asp

Perhaps this will help.

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:1384101c443ff$6689b9c0$(E-Mail Removed),
Rick R <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Is there a way to run the system configuration Utility
> (msconfig.exe) in Windows 2000 Pro? Or is it named
> something else??

Greg Stigers

      27th May 2004
I message "Re: No msconfig in win2000?" on Sunday, May 23, 2004 2:20 PM,
Dave Patrick wrote:

Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
registry's "Run" keys.

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory

end quote.
--
Greg Stigers, MCSA
this space for rent

John Thomas Smith

      27th May 2004
On Thu, 27 May 2004, "Rick R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(msconfig.exe) in Windows 2000 Pro? Or is it named something else??

This program does that http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Also
Free Firewall http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm
Stop Flash from taking "forever" to download those huge files
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22947,00.asp
If your computer is infected with a virus, removal tools here
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ools.list.html
Or spyware removal spybot -- http://www.safer-networking.org
Another spyware remove ad-aware -- http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Stop Internet Explorer pop-ups http://www.panicware.com