sysprep and boot timeout

R Dunn

      4th Mar 2004
I had set my boot timeout to 5 seconds before I sysprepped my image. I've
read in the unattend.doc (comes with sysprep) that it resets the timeout
back to 30 after you run sysprep. Is there a setting anywhere that will
automatically kick back the timer to my pre-defined value?

I suppose I could write a vbscript that would set it upon login, but I would
much rather let sysprep handle it.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

David Adner

      5th Mar 2004
I don't believe sysprep has anything built into it to do this. We use a
script to change it back. Not ideal, but we already have other
post-restore-image scripts and processes running, so adding this wasn't
a big deal to us.

R Dunn wrote:

> I had set my boot timeout to 5 seconds before I sysprepped my image. I've
> read in the unattend.doc (comes with sysprep) that it resets the timeout
> back to 30 after you run sysprep. Is there a setting anywhere that will
> automatically kick back the timer to my pre-defined value?
>
> I suppose I could write a vbscript that would set it upon login, but I would
> much rather let sysprep handle it.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob

qc_metal

      5th Mar 2004
Hmm... thanks - I'll go ahead and write something up I guess. Is this a
direct edit to boot.ini, or is it somehow transcribed from the registry to
boot.ini?

Rob

"David Adner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't believe sysprep has anything built into it to do this. We use a
> script to change it back. Not ideal, but we already have other
> post-restore-image scripts and processes running, so adding this wasn't
> a big deal to us.
>
> R Dunn wrote:
> >
> > I had set my boot timeout to 5 seconds before I sysprepped my image.

I've
> > read in the unattend.doc (comes with sysprep) that it resets the timeout
> > back to 30 after you run sysprep. Is there a setting anywhere that will
> > automatically kick back the timer to my pre-defined value?
> >
> > I suppose I could write a vbscript that would set it upon login, but I

would
> > much rather let sysprep handle it.
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Rob

David Adner

      5th Mar 2004
Just modify the file. I haven't tested it myself, but you might be able
to use the XP bootcfg.exe command. Not sure if it works with 2000,
though.

qc_metal wrote:

> Hmm... thanks - I'll go ahead and write something up I guess. Is this a
> direct edit to boot.ini, or is it somehow transcribed from the registry to
> boot.ini?
>
> Rob
>
> "David Adner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I don't believe sysprep has anything built into it to do this. We use a
> > script to change it back. Not ideal, but we already have other
> > post-restore-image scripts and processes running, so adding this wasn't
> > a big deal to us.
> >
> > R Dunn wrote:
> > >
> > > I had set my boot timeout to 5 seconds before I sysprepped my image.

> I've
> > > read in the unattend.doc (comes with sysprep) that it resets the timeout
> > > back to 30 after you run sysprep. Is there a setting anywhere that will
> > > automatically kick back the timer to my pre-defined value?
> > >
> > > I suppose I could write a vbscript that would set it upon login, but I

> would
> > > much rather let sysprep handle it.
> > >
> > > Anyone?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Rob

R Dunn

      5th Mar 2004
Yeah, it looks like bootcfg doesn't work for 2000 - d'oh! Too bad, too - it
looks like a handy exe.

I guess I'll just put together a quickie VBScript to take care of it. It
seems odd that sysprep wouldn't have this feature built-in, especially
considering that it resets it after you run it...

Thanks for your help David!