syntax problem with gpresult - and problem with Group Pol in gener

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZGFu?=

      11th Apr 2007
I am trying to find out what group policies and settings are applied to the
users [LOCAL MACHINE]\Local Service and [NT AUTHORITY]\NETWORK SERVICE

The reason I am doing this is because several services on many different
operating systems and several computers on our network have stopped, namely
the DHCP client, but others as well, such as Reporting Services, SQL Server,
and Sharepoint.

We have narrowed the problem down to a group policy issue with Local Service
and Network Service. They have been running these processes fairly
efficiently until this week. The next step is to identify the group policy
issue.

I am running gpresult with the following syntax and cannot get the
information on Network Service or Local Service accounts:

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER "LOCAL SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
INFO: The user "LOCAL SERVICE" does not have RSOP data.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER "NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
INFO: The user "NETWORK SERVICE" does not have RSOP data.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER LOCAL SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE'.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER LOCAL%SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V
INFO: The user "LOCAL%SERVICE" does not have RSOP data.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [WSJBVISTA]\"LOCAL SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V'.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER WSJBVISTA\"LOCAL SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V'.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [WSJBVISTA]\'LOCAL SERVICE' /SCOPE USER /V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE''.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [NT AUTHORITY]\'NETWORK SERVICE' /SCOPE USER /V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE''.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [NT AUTHORITY]\'NETWORK SERVICE' /SCOPE USER /V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'AUTHORITY]\'NETWORK'.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [NT AUTHORITY]\"NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'AUTHORITY]"NETWORK'.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER ["NT AUTHORITY"]\"NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER
/V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V '.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER "NT AUTHORITY"\"NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V '.
Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
INFO: The user "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" does not have RSOP data.

Is this possible with GPRESULT and if so, what is the correct syntax? Does
the INFO message state that there really is no policies applied on this
computer, because I'm no confident I have the right account name.

Darren Mar-Elia

      12th Apr 2007
My guess is that the message is correct. I don't believe that these special
accounts actually process user policy. I have never seen evidence of it
anyway. Because GP runs out of Winlogon, that sort of would confirm my
suspicion, but one way to check is to view the profile of one of these
service accounts on a machine in question. That is, open up regedit and
navigate to HKEY_USERS. You should see a SID-based key that represents each
of these accounts. You can drill into them to the policy location and verify
that you are getting policy settings under them.

Darren

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

Speed Group Policy Troubleshooting with the NEW GPHealth Reporter tool at
http://www.sdmsoftware.com/products.php

news:(E-Mail Removed)...