Symantec Antivirus Tamper Protection Alert pop ups every now and t

=?Utf-8?B?Vm9pY2U=?=

      18th Feb 2006
Ever since I have installed Windows Defender (Beta) the Symantec Antivirus
Corportate Edition 10 keeps popping up the Tamper Protection Alert every now
and then.
What should I do? Someone can help please? Thanks.

Bill Sanderson

      19th Feb 2006
The only remedy I've heard is to turn this optional feature off.
--

"Voice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ever since I have installed Windows Defender (Beta) the Symantec Antivirus
> Corportate Edition 10 keeps popping up the Tamper Protection Alert every
> now
> and then.
> What should I do? Someone can help please? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Vm9pY2U=?=

      21st Feb 2006
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response. While it would solve the problem of the Windows
defender not popping up alerts however, I fear that I would leave my system
vulnerable to others threats from spyware etc. So it really does not solve my
problem. Turning off the feature will allow other spyware to get in....Do you
have any other response??

Thanks n God bless.

Vincent.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> The only remedy I've heard is to turn this optional feature off.
> --
>
> "Voice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ever since I have installed Windows Defender (Beta) the Symantec Antivirus
> > Corportate Edition 10 keeps popping up the Tamper Protection Alert every
> > now
> > and then.
> > What should I do? Someone can help please? Thanks.

Bill Sanderson

      21st Feb 2006
I don't disagree with your analysis. However, until Microsoft and Symantec
resolve this issue, I think you have a hard choice. I believe that I've
seen example messages that involve both MsMpEng.exe--the Windows Defender
Service which provides real-time protection, and MpCmdRun.exe - the
command-line utility that does scanning and signature updates.

Disabling either of these involves substantially disabling Windows Defender.
I don't know how to weigh that against whatever additional level of
integrity checking the Tamper Protection adds to your antivirus protection.

I would certainly rate Antivirus protection well above antispyware, in terms
of the importance of keeping it as functional as possible.

--

"Voice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bill,
>
> Thanks for your response. While it would solve the problem of the Windows
> defender not popping up alerts however, I fear that I would leave my
> system
> vulnerable to others threats from spyware etc. So it really does not solve
> my
> problem. Turning off the feature will allow other spyware to get in....Do
> you
> have any other response??
>
> Thanks n God bless.
>
> Vincent.
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> The only remedy I've heard is to turn this optional feature off.
>> --
>>
>> "Voice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Ever since I have installed Windows Defender (Beta) the Symantec
>> > Antivirus
>> > Corportate Edition 10 keeps popping up the Tamper Protection Alert
>> > every
>> > now
>> > and then.
>> > What should I do? Someone can help please? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Vm9pY2U=?=

      22nd Feb 2006
Thanks Bill

I have no choice but to unistall Windows Defender.

Thanks and God bless for your help.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> I don't disagree with your analysis. However, until Microsoft and Symantec
> resolve this issue, I think you have a hard choice. I believe that I've
> seen example messages that involve both MsMpEng.exe--the Windows Defender
> Service which provides real-time protection, and MpCmdRun.exe - the
> command-line utility that does scanning and signature updates.
>
> Disabling either of these involves substantially disabling Windows Defender.
> I don't know how to weigh that against whatever additional level of
> integrity checking the Tamper Protection adds to your antivirus protection.
>
> I would certainly rate Antivirus protection well above antispyware, in terms
> of the importance of keeping it as functional as possible.
>
> --
>
> "Voice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Thanks for your response. While it would solve the problem of the Windows
> > defender not popping up alerts however, I fear that I would leave my
> > system
> > vulnerable to others threats from spyware etc. So it really does not solve
> > my
> > problem. Turning off the feature will allow other spyware to get in....Do
> > you
> > have any other response??
> >
> > Thanks n God bless.
> >
> > Vincent.
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> The only remedy I've heard is to turn this optional feature off.
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Voice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Bill Sanderson

      22nd Feb 2006
I won't argue with that choice. I believe this will get resolved, but I
can't predict when, or how you might find out about it. I'd encourage you
to re-try Windows Defender when it is released publically--or perhaps check
back occaisonally and ask whether this has been fixed.

--

"Voice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Bill
>
> I have no choice but to unistall Windows Defender.
>
> Thanks and God bless for your help.
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> I don't disagree with your analysis. However, until Microsoft and
>> Symantec
>> resolve this issue, I think you have a hard choice. I believe that I've
>> seen example messages that involve both MsMpEng.exe--the Windows Defender
>> Service which provides real-time protection, and MpCmdRun.exe - the
>> command-line utility that does scanning and signature updates.
>>
>> Disabling either of these involves substantially disabling Windows
>> Defender.
>> I don't know how to weigh that against whatever additional level of
>> integrity checking the Tamper Protection adds to your antivirus
>> protection.
>>
>> I would certainly rate Antivirus protection well above antispyware, in
>> terms
>> of the importance of keeping it as functional as possible.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Voice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi Bill,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your response. While it would solve the problem of the
>> > Windows
>> > defender not popping up alerts however, I fear that I would leave my
>> > system
>> > vulnerable to others threats from spyware etc. So it really does not
>> > solve
>> > my
>> > problem. Turning off the feature will allow other spyware to get
>> > in....Do
>> > you
>> > have any other response??
>> >
>> > Thanks n God bless.