Switch to Windows XP

Not Me

      23rd Jan 2008
Frank uses it, ask him!

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Change Alpha to Numeric to reply
"SG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Goobertronics Buttmonkey OS? sounds like a heck of a OS, where can I get
> it? :>)
> --
> All the best,
> SG
> "DarkSentinel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Just.some.guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> I have a laptop computer with Vista home premium, and a desktop with
>>> Windows XP, and I'm satisfied with that arrangment. So there!

>> If more people understood the premise of...
>> "Use what works best for YOU, and makes YOU most productive",

>> we wouldn't get threads like this. Personally, I could care less if
>> people used Goobertronics Buttmonkey OS, or whatever. As long as it gets
>> what you want to get done, why gripe or post tripe about other people's
>> choices?
>> --
>> Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
>> http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel
>> Undo the munge to reply by email

DarkSentinel

      23rd Jan 2008
"SG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Goobertronics Buttmonkey OS? sounds like a heck of a OS, where can I get
> it? :>)

It's available at all the finest Bait & Tackle shops...

--
Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel
Undo the munge to reply by email

> "DarkSentinel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Just.some.guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> I have a laptop computer with Vista home premium, and a desktop with
>>> Windows XP, and I'm satisfied with that arrangment. So there!
>>>

>> If more people understood the premise of...
>>
>> "Use what works best for YOU, and makes YOU most productive",
>>
>> we wouldn't get threads like this. Personally, I could care less if
>> people used Goobertronics Buttmonkey OS, or whatever. As long as it gets
>> what you want to get done, why gripe or post tripe about other people's
>> choices?
>>
>> --
>> Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
>> http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel
>> Undo the munge to reply by email

KevinD

      27th Jan 2008
I agree, I would absolutely NEVER go back to XP. My company deals with
Banks as our Customers and the more progressive institutions are starting to
migrate. Then there are those still trying to limp along on Win 98 / 2000.
Man I hate that!

Personally Vista has opened a world of entertainment with eye popping
graphics in my home that makes my neighbors drool with jealousy.

"Access Services" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lets all switch to Windows XP(or downgrade). It'll make your life much
> easier. We haven't upgraded 1 computer in the whole network yet. Reply
> with your experiences!
>
> Access Services
> Martin Luther King Jr. Library
> San Jose Public Libraries
> (E-Mail Removed)

DarkSentinel

      29th Jan 2008

"KevinD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I agree, I would absolutely NEVER go back to XP. My company deals with
> Banks as our Customers and the more progressive institutions are starting
> to migrate. Then there are those still trying to limp along on Win 98 /
> 2000. Man I hate that!
>
> Personally Vista has opened a world of entertainment with eye popping
> graphics in my home that makes my neighbors drool with jealousy.

For me, the graphics don't mean anything. What concerns me is that it does
everything that I need it to do, as good or better than XP. As I always say.
Use what works best for YOU, and makes you most productive.

--
Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel
Undo the munge to reply by email

> "Access Services" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Lets all switch to Windows XP(or downgrade). It'll make your life much
>> easier. We haven't upgraded 1 computer in the whole network yet. Reply
>> with your experiences!
>>
>> Access Services
>> Martin Luther King Jr. Library
>> San Jose Public Libraries
>> (E-Mail Removed)

aldjkgjhfg

      11th Feb 2008
Perhaps the reason that not many computers with Vista come back with viruses
is that they are hardly every used. I was forced to buy a computer with Vista
pre-loaded and quickly found that it would not support any of the business
applications that were supported by XP. I do use some specialized software
but it is ridiculous that Vista is so different. Consequently I do not use
the Vista computer all that often. If the O/S will not support its intended
function who cares about viruses?

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> This is my story...
>
> I work at Geek Squad (now that half of you have stopped reading...) part
> time, as a "fun job" when I'm not doing my other job.
>
> OK so it's not really a story, it's just what I like to tell customers who
> come in and say, Why do you like Vista?
>
> I tell them, "See all these computers behind me (our precinct has 80-90
> systems in repair on any given day), they all have 3 things in common. 1>
> they are running Limewire, 2> they all have viruses, and 3> they are all
> running Windows XP.
>
> It's been well over a year and rarely, if ever do we get Vista machines in
> for virus removal or basic software repair. We occasionally get hardware
> problems which are easily fixed. The initial setup of Vista can be a pain in
> the ass, but once it's done, or done right the OS works really well.
>
> My other job we upgraded half of the computers to Vista. The network has XP
> and 2K boxes as well, and they connect to a 2k server. No real issues. The
> only issue is we got 1gig of ram, which even in "business mode", meaning we
> don't game on them, can occasionally get slow because Vista is just a dog
> with RAM, but the OS is stable, it has AMAZING reliability and stability
> diagnostic tools built in. It cleans itself and generally does a lot of
> thing to prevent problems down the road.
>
> If you've never upgraded your systems, you simply don't know what you're
> missing.
>
> I don't recommend upgrading all your systems at once, in fact I don't
> recommend upgrading anything. Buy new systems with Vista on it, and
> gradually rotate them into your day to day business after through testing.
> If you take the time to do an upgrade right, Vista is an extremely pleasant
> experience.
>
> Now the question is, do you really need to upgrade? Running a Public Library
> is there really any need for state of the art? If your systems suffer from
> frequent virus attacks I would say, upgrade. I don't think there are many
> reference programs that require DirectX 10, dunno, maybe if you posted your
> reqirements we could comment on your phobias.
>
> -A.
>
> "Access Services" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Lets all switch to Windows XP(or downgrade). It'll make your life much
> > easier. We haven't upgraded 1 computer in the whole network yet. Reply
> > with your experiences!
> >
> > Access Services
> > Martin Luther King Jr. Library
> > San Jose Public Libraries
> > (E-Mail Removed)

Drew

      11th Feb 2008
New to computers aren't you ?? That would be the only explanation for such a
uneducated reply to the original post...The reason a new op system is
different is for that reason for which I just stated ...When your software
no longer works it is not Microsoft's fault but yours for switching to a new
op system with out checking to see whether your software would work or
not....Vista works just fine for its intended purpose...When Vista is
installed properly on a system that is once again properly designed for
Vista then it will run just fine...Take some 5yr old gasoline and try
running it in a new car,,,It will not run worth a damn !!...Why you may ask
?? Because the gasoline is past its prime and cannot keep up with the demand
of what is needed...You just cannot explain it easier than that............

"aldjkgjhfg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> If you take the time to do an upgrade right, Vista is an extremely
>> pleasant
>> experience.
>>
>> Now the question is, do you really need to upgrade? Running a Public
>> Library
>> is there really any need for state of the art? If your systems suffer
>> from
>> frequent virus attacks I would say, upgrade. I don't think there are many
>> reference programs that require DirectX 10, dunno, maybe if you posted
>> your
>> reqirements we could comment on your phobias.
>>
>> -A.
>>
>> "Access Services" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Lets all switch to Windows XP(or downgrade). It'll make your life much
>> > easier. We haven't upgraded 1 computer in the whole network yet. Reply

Andy [YaYa]

      12th Feb 2008
Yeah, even I will admit that the first round of notebooks we had with Vista
had 512 Ram on some of them, and even single core processors, now if you
come to our store about 90% of the systems with Vista have 2 Gigs RAM and
dual cores are minimum now.

It may be that after 20 months that not that many people have chosen to
bring their Vista machines in, instead just swapping them out for XP boxes
(since you can't downgrade most of them (no XP drivers)), or dare I hope,
Linux, but I've been on Vista at my other job and at home since almost day
1, and my experiences are mostly positive.

As for being forced to buying Vista, there are Apples out there, take a look
around, I would not hesitate to recommend an Apple to ANYONE, they are great
machines, but the people who use them can be arrogant pricks, but the
machines are still good. Customer also said to me, well if Microsoft is
"forceing" us to use Vista, they must have a fair amount of confidence in
the OS. I mean if Microsoft didn't think Vista was good enough for the
general public, I don't think it would be the only choice for mainstream
consumers. right? Oh wait, it's not, there's Apple and Linux.

I actually GOT a virus on my Vista box at work (General9.ACLM, damn porn
sites). I was able to remove it with McAfee (Enterprise version) with little
to NO effort on my part. Didn't even have to boot into safe mode. Virus kept
triggering UAC, and McAfee kept it in check.

If no one is using Vista, then why are so many people bitching about it? If
you figure less than 10% (high figure) of people could be having problems,
then damn there are a lot of people out there doing just fine.

Take a class, get some training. Community Colleges are a great place to
start. Yesterday I downloaded SP1 RTM (just hit bittorrent for those of you
without scruples), but I haven't put it through it's paces yet. Can't wait,
hoping some of the minor annoyances are cleared up.

-A.

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> recommend upgrading anything. Buy new systems with Vista on it, and
>>> gradually rotate them into your day to day business after through
>>> testing.
>>> If you take the time to do an upgrade right, Vista is an extremely
>>> pleasant
>>> experience.
>>>
>>> Now the question is, do you really need to upgrade? Running a Public
>>> Library
>>> is there really any need for state of the art? If your systems suffer
>>> from
>>> frequent virus attacks I would say, upgrade. I don't think there are
>>> many
>>> reference programs that require DirectX 10, dunno, maybe if you posted
>>> your
>>> reqirements we could comment on your phobias.
>>>
>>> -A.
>>>
>>> "Access Services" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

bandi

      25th Dec 2010
I hate Windows 7. If I had to do it over, I would never switch from XP.