svchost.exe taking 100% CPU time

=?Utf-8?B?QXBvb3J2IEtodXJhc2lh?=

      8th Mar 2007
Hi

I am using Windows XP Professional. Whenever my computer starts I find that
svchost.exe is taking huge amount of memory (some 100MB) and a lot of CPU
time (close to 98%). I identify the process to be associated with audio
services. I have to end process and start the Windows Audio Services again.
The problem does not repeat until I restart my computer.

I suspect this is a malware activity but Windows Defender, Trend Micro
Office Scan and ZoneAlarm Pro are clueless about it. I also tried using
AV-CLS in safe mode but they (it uses four different antivirus utilties) also
report no problems (so much for security in Windows).

Can anyone suggest me some solutions? Thanks for any help in advance.

MowGreen [MVP]

      8th Mar 2007
If you use Task Manager you can watch svchost spawn wuauclt either when
the system first starts up or when the system comes back from
Hibernation or Standby and see how much of CPU cycles are being taken
up. If svchost/wuauclt are hogging the CPU .....

Open the Services console and Stop, then Disable the Automatic Updates
service from loading at startup.
Restart the system.
Suggest you leave the AU service disabled for now and delete the
contents of WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and
WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs along with the DataStor.ebd
located in DataStore
NOTE: Deleting DataStor.ebd and the logs will erase the update history
one sees on the Microsoft/Windows Update sites.

Then restart the AU service. This will temporarily cure the 100% CPU
useage ***IF*** the culprit is AU

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Apoorv Khurasia wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am using Windows XP Professional. Whenever my computer starts I find that
> svchost.exe is taking huge amount of memory (some 100MB) and a lot of CPU
> time (close to 98%). I identify the process to be associated with audio
> services. I have to end process and start the Windows Audio Services again.
> The problem does not repeat until I restart my computer.
>
> I suspect this is a malware activity but Windows Defender, Trend Micro
> Office Scan and ZoneAlarm Pro are clueless about it. I also tried using
> AV-CLS in safe mode but they (it uses four different antivirus utilties) also
> report no problems (so much for security in Windows).
>
> Can anyone suggest me some solutions? Thanks for any help in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?QXBvb3J2IEtodXJhc2lh?=

      9th Mar 2007
Hi MowGreen

If I delete my update history does that mean I will have to download and
install all the updates all over again?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> If you use Task Manager you can watch svchost spawn wuauclt either when
> the system first starts up or when the system comes back from
> Hibernation or Standby and see how much of CPU cycles are being taken
> up. If svchost/wuauclt are hogging the CPU .....
>
> Open the Services console and Stop, then Disable the Automatic Updates
> service from loading at startup.
> Restart the system.
> Suggest you leave the AU service disabled for now and delete the
> contents of WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and
> WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs along with the DataStor.ebd
> located in DataStore
> NOTE: Deleting DataStor.ebd and the logs will erase the update history
> one sees on the Microsoft/Windows Update sites.
>
> Then restart the AU service. This will temporarily cure the 100% CPU
> useage ***IF*** the culprit is AU
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Apoorv Khurasia wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am using Windows XP Professional. Whenever my computer starts I find that
> > svchost.exe is taking huge amount of memory (some 100MB) and a lot of CPU
> > time (close to 98%). I identify the process to be associated with audio
> > services. I have to end process and start the Windows Audio Services again.
> > The problem does not repeat until I restart my computer.
> >
> > I suspect this is a malware activity but Windows Defender, Trend Micro
> > Office Scan and ZoneAlarm Pro are clueless about it. I also tried using
> > AV-CLS in safe mode but they (it uses four different antivirus utilties) also
> > report no problems (so much for security in Windows).
> >
> > Can anyone suggest me some solutions? Thanks for any help in advance.

MowGreen

      9th Mar 2007
Absolutely NOT. It's the history, which update was installed on what
date, that's being deleted, not the actual updates themselves.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Apoorv Khurasia wrote:
> Hi MowGreen
>
> If I delete my update history does that mean I will have to download and
> install all the updates all over again?
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you use Task Manager you can watch svchost spawn wuauclt either when
>> the system first starts up or when the system comes back from
>> Hibernation or Standby and see how much of CPU cycles are being taken
>> up. If svchost/wuauclt are hogging the CPU .....
>>
>> Open the Services console and Stop, then Disable the Automatic Updates
>> service from loading at startup.
>> Restart the system.
>> Suggest you leave the AU service disabled for now and delete the
>> contents of WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and
>> WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs along with the DataStor.ebd
>> located in DataStore
>> NOTE: Deleting DataStor.ebd and the logs will erase the update history
>> one sees on the Microsoft/Windows Update sites.
>>
>> Then restart the AU service. This will temporarily cure the 100% CPU
>> useage ***IF*** the culprit is AU
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> Apoorv Khurasia wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am using Windows XP Professional. Whenever my computer starts I find that
>>> svchost.exe is taking huge amount of memory (some 100MB) and a lot of CPU
>>> time (close to 98%). I identify the process to be associated with audio
>>> services. I have to end process and start the Windows Audio Services again.
>>> The problem does not repeat until I restart my computer.
>>>
>>> I suspect this is a malware activity but Windows Defender, Trend Micro
>>> Office Scan and ZoneAlarm Pro are clueless about it. I also tried using
>>> AV-CLS in safe mode but they (it uses four different antivirus utilties) also
>>> report no problems (so much for security in Windows).
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest me some solutions? Thanks for any help in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?QXBvb3J2IEtodXJhc2lh?=

      9th Mar 2007
Thanks a lot!!! That did the trick. Disabled AU, deleted the update history
and restarted the service. Now my computer boots faster and loads faster.

Thanks a lot once again.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Absolutely NOT. It's the history, which update was installed on what
> date, that's being deleted, not the actual updates themselves.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Apoorv Khurasia wrote:
> > Hi MowGreen
> >
> > If I delete my update history does that mean I will have to download and
> > install all the updates all over again?
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> If you use Task Manager you can watch svchost spawn wuauclt either when
> >> the system first starts up or when the system comes back from
> >> Hibernation or Standby and see how much of CPU cycles are being taken
> >> up. If svchost/wuauclt are hogging the CPU .....
> >>
> >> Open the Services console and Stop, then Disable the Automatic Updates
> >> service from loading at startup.
> >> Restart the system.
> >> Suggest you leave the AU service disabled for now and delete the
> >> contents of WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and
> >> WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs along with the DataStor.ebd
> >> located in DataStore
> >> NOTE: Deleting DataStor.ebd and the logs will erase the update history
> >> one sees on the Microsoft/Windows Update sites.
> >>
> >> Then restart the AU service. This will temporarily cure the 100% CPU
> >> useage ***IF*** the culprit is AU
> >>
> >> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> >> ===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >> Never Forgotten

MowGreen [MVP]

      9th Mar 2007
You're mowst welcome Apoorv. Glad to hear that the issue is gone for
now. If it reappears before MS releases a fix, just do the same steps. <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten