Surface Chart/Contour Chart options

royjacob

      4th Sep 2008
Hello,

I am trying to make a 2d surface chart from some data i have collected.
When i plot the data using the Wireframe Contour option I get a 2d surface
plot where Excel sets the legend into 5 categories(ie from 0-2, 2-4, 4-6,
6-8, and 8-10). Is there a way to increase these catergories and choose what
data Excel lumps ito these categories so that my graph will have more
countours? (IE so that i could set it to be from 0-1, 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6,
7-8, 8-9, and 9-10 so that i would have 10 contours on my graph rather then
5?)

Jon Peltier

      5th Sep 2008
Right click on the legend, choose Format, and set the scale on one of the
tabs.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"royjacob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to make a 2d surface chart from some data i have collected.
> When i plot the data using the Wireframe Contour option I get a 2d surface
> plot where Excel sets the legend into 5 categories(ie from 0-2, 2-4, 4-6,
> 6-8, and 8-10). Is there a way to increase these catergories and choose
> what
> data Excel lumps ito these categories so that my graph will have more
> countours? (IE so that i could set it to be from 0-1, 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6,
> 7-8, 8-9, and 9-10 so that i would have 10 contours on my graph rather
> then
> 5?)

royjacob

      5th Sep 2008
John,

I right clicked and choose format from the top screen but I did not see any
option to choose scale. I clicked the size button and that opened a window
that named "Size and Properties". This had a section called "Size and
rotate", "Scale", "Crop From", and "Origional Size". However the "Scale"
function was grayed out.

Regards
Roy

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Right click on the legend, choose Format, and set the scale on one of the
> tabs.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "royjacob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to make a 2d surface chart from some data i have collected.
> > When i plot the data using the Wireframe Contour option I get a 2d surface
> > plot where Excel sets the legend into 5 categories(ie from 0-2, 2-4, 4-6,
> > 6-8, and 8-10). Is there a way to increase these catergories and choose
> > what
> > data Excel lumps ito these categories so that my graph will have more
> > countours? (IE so that i could set it to be from 0-1, 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6,
> > 7-8, 8-9, and 9-10 so that i would have 10 contours on my graph rather
> > then
> > 5?)

Jon Peltier

      5th Sep 2008
Select the chart first so it has eight black "handles" on the corners and
edges (not white handles). Then right click on the legend, and choose Format
Legend.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"royjacob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John,
>
> I right clicked and choose format from the top screen but I did not see
> any
> option to choose scale. I clicked the size button and that opened a
> window
> that named "Size and Properties". This had a section called "Size and
> rotate", "Scale", "Crop From", and "Origional Size". However the "Scale"
> function was grayed out.
>
> Regards
> Roy
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Right click on the legend, choose Format, and set the scale on one of the
>> tabs.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "royjacob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am trying to make a 2d surface chart from some data i have collected.
>> > When i plot the data using the Wireframe Contour option I get a 2d
>> > surface
>> > plot where Excel sets the legend into 5 categories(ie from 0-2, 2-4,
>> > 4-6,
>> > 6-8, and 8-10). Is there a way to increase these catergories and
>> > choose
>> > what
>> > data Excel lumps ito these categories so that my graph will have more
>> > countours? (IE so that i could set it to be from 0-1, 1-2, 3-4, 4-5,
>> > 5-6,
>> > 7-8, 8-9, and 9-10 so that i would have 10 contours on my graph rather
>> > then
>> > 5?)

Habib ur Rehman Habib

      17th Mar 2010
Surface charts are the only useful and valid 3D chart types offered by Excel. They have three true dimensions in the data, and can illustrate it reasonable well. Surface charts are useful to show how a variable (Z) changes according to two other variables (X and Y). For example, a topographic map shows how altitude (Z) changes with longitude and lattitude (X and Y).
Surface charts have some limitations:
? Surface charts are not true X-Y-Z charts. X and Y are not treated as numeric data, and must consist of regularly defined, evenly spaced categories. Exactly one Z value is needed for each X-Y pair.
? The surface calculations are rudimentary, drawn by connecting Z values at X-Y nodes with straight lines and planar sections. A saddle point is not accurately drawn if it occurs between the X-Y nodes.
? The color-filled surface charts do not allow transparency, which would help visualize hidden parts of the surface. (Perhaps Excel for the Mac allows this, but that's insufficient cause to trade in your Windows machine for a Mac.)
? The wireframe versions of the surface chart have too many visible line segments, showing both the boundaries marking different values and the lines connecting the nodes. They can only be hidden and displayed together; whereas it would have been a nice feature to show boundaries only, or formatted differently from node connectors.
Despite these and other limitations, surface charts and contour charts, their 2D equivalents, can be quite effective in presenting information.

royjaco wrote:

Surface Chart/Contour Chart options
04-Sep-08

Hello

I am trying to make a 2d surface chart from some data i have collected
When i plot the data using the Wireframe Contour option I get a 2d surface
plot where Excel sets the legend into 5 categories(ie from 0-2, 2-4, 4-6,
6-8, and 8-10). Is there a way to increase these catergories and choose what
data Excel lumps ito these categories so that my graph will have more
countours? (IE so that i could set it to be from 0-1, 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6,
7-8, 8-9, and 9-10 so that i would have 10 contours on my graph rather then
5?)

On Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:17 PM
royjaco wrote:

Surface Chart/Contour Chart options
Hello

I am trying to make a 2d surface chart from some data i have collected
When i plot the data using the Wireframe Contour option I get a 2d surface
plot where Excel sets the legend into 5 categories(ie from 0-2, 2-4, 4-6,
6-8, and 8-10). Is there a way to increase these catergories and choose what
data Excel lumps ito these categories so that my graph will have more
countours? (IE so that i could set it to be from 0-1, 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6,
7-8, 8-9, and 9-10 so that i would have 10 contours on my graph rather then
5?)

------
______

"royjacob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Friday, September 05, 2008 9:31 AM
royjaco wrote:

John,I right clicked and choose format from the top screen but I did not see
John

I right clicked and choose format from the top screen but I did not see any
option to choose scale. I clicked the size button and that opened a window
that named "Size and Properties". This had a section called "Size and
rotate", "Scale", "Crop From", and "Origional Size". However the "Scale"
function was grayed out

Regard
Ro

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

On Friday, September 05, 2008 11:40 AM
Jon Peltier wrote:

Select the chart first so it has eight black "handles" on the corners and
Select the chart first so it has eight black "handles" on the corners and
edges (not white handles). Then right click on the legend, and choose Format
Legend.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"royjacob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Sending SMTP email from within BizTalk Orchestration
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...il-from-w.aspx