Subform in continuous form

Pierre Darisse

      9th Apr 2010
Hi to all,

I'm trying to set up a form so that I Have a Project list and its
associated resources in a subform. When I try to add the resources
subform, I get an error stating that I can't put a subform in a
continuous form and then it puts the form type back to single

Is there a way to go around this limitation? Right now, what I'm
planning on doing is to build a huge textfield with the concatenation
of all the info I need, but that way I can't change the data, which is
the most desired way of doing it

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

Tom van Stiphout

      9th Apr 2010
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 07:11:33 -0700 (PDT), Pierre Darisse
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

If I remember correctly this is one of the new features in the
upcoming Office 2010. No, there is no workaound with current versions
of Access.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>Hi to all,
>
>I'm trying to set up a form so that I Have a Project list and its
>associated resources in a subform. When I try to add the resources
>subform, I get an error stating that I can't put a subform in a
>continuous form and then it puts the form type back to single
>
>Is there a way to go around this limitation? Right now, what I'm
>planning on doing is to build a huge textfield with the concatenation
>of all the info I need, but that way I can't change the data, which is
>the most desired way of doing it
>
>Any help will be appreciated
>
>thanks

Pierre Darisse

      12th Apr 2010
Tom, Bruce,

Thank you both for the nice input, as both were near what I want to
do.

Sadly, unless I'm mistaken, although it is around the corner, Access
2010 is not out yet and since I need to deliver my application ASAP,
it is not a possibility. As for the 2 continuous forms on a master
form, the problem with this solution is that I need to display all the
data at once (for the project manager to see all projects with all
affected resources and their usage at a glance).

Do you guys know of a way I could do it in an ActiveX control in
VB .NET and then put it in my access form?

Thanks for your input

Pierre

Peter Hibbs

      12th Apr 2010
Pierre,

If you are willing to use an ActiveX control and can write the
necessary code you could use a FlexGrid control which should do what
you want. See the the Flex Grid Demo program at :-

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/f...f13b1d2zcccfb4

for some examples.

Peter Hibbs.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 05:37:17 -0700 (PDT), Pierre Darisse
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tom, Bruce,
>
>Thank you both for the nice input, as both were near what I want to
>do.
>
>Sadly, unless I'm mistaken, although it is around the corner, Access
>2010 is not out yet and since I need to deliver my application ASAP,
>it is not a possibility. As for the 2 continuous forms on a master
>form, the problem with this solution is that I need to display all the
>data at once (for the project manager to see all projects with all
>affected resources and their usage at a glance).
>
>Do you guys know of a way I could do it in an ActiveX control in
>VB .NET and then put it in my access form?
>
>Thanks for your input
>
>Pierre

Pierre Darisse

      12th Apr 2010
Peter,

The way I saw the FlexGrid, I still have the problem of linking it to
a key field in the continuous form, in this case, the ProjectID. That
is, unless I put all the query in the flexgrid and say the first line
is the project info and the subsequent lines are the resources
utilization. If that would be the case, would I still be able to
modify the required data (the query being a bit complicated)?

So basically :

-any way of linking a detail grid to a projectID?

if not :

- any way of showing all data and at the same time being able to
change it

Pierre

Pierre Darisse

      12th Apr 2010
Bruce,

Well that's not necessarily such a powerful glance, the users just
want to be able to scroll the project list and be able to see quick
visual cues for their projects (e.g. if there is a due date, the
background is of another color for this week and so on) and be able to
change the hours affected to this resource

Pierre

On Apr 12, 10:01*am, "BruceM via AccessMonster.com" <u54429@uwe>
wrote:
> See all projects and all affected resources for each project at one glance?
> That's quite a glance. *If the project manager needs to see the data only,
> not interact with it, a report could easily do what you want. *People needing
> to interact with the data could use a form.

Peter Hibbs

      12th Apr 2010
Pierre,

You would normally use the FlexGrid control INSTEAD of a Continuous
form, the control would show the data that would normally be shown on
the form, the demo shows several examples of this.

You can edit the data in a FlexGrid control although, because this
control cannot be bound to a table (or query) you have to use
different techniques depending on the nature of the data and the
tables design.

The easiest method to code is to show the user a pop-up form when they
click on a FlexGrid cell and they would enter data into unbound
controls on this form. When they click an 'OK' button, the data will
be copied back to the relevant table/s and the FlexGrid image updated
to show the amended data. Alternatively you can edit the data in a
FlexGrid cell and copy the data back to the table but this is more
complex. There are examples of both techinques in the demo I
mentioned.

HTH

Peter Hibbs.