What stripe size?

JM

      3rd Jun 2005
I need to configure a RAID10 array, and I don't know what stripe size
to use. The application is called Hyperion Essbase, and I can't find
any documentation or other information regarding stripe size.

We have several servers currently using Essbase (on both RAID5 and
RAID10 arrays). Is there a way to use a disk utility to inspect the
data or the PCI bus to see what the optimal stripe size would be?

Any good links on setting stripe size?

Arno Wagner

      4th Jun 2005
Previously JM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need to configure a RAID10 array, and I don't know what stripe size
> to use. The application is called Hyperion Essbase, and I can't find
> any documentation or other information regarding stripe size.

> We have several servers currently using Essbase (on both RAID5 and
> RAID10 arrays). Is there a way to use a disk utility to inspect the
> data or the PCI bus to see what the optimal stripe size would be?

> Any good links on setting stripe size?

Depends on your access patterns. If you have mostly larger writes, or
few writes, make the stripes large. If you have a lot of smaller
accesses, make them small. The problem here is that for any change
within a stripe the complete stripe-set has to be read and written.

Personally I found (Linux software RAID1) the default 4kB stripe
size (matched to the filesystems cluster size) is fine and that
larger strioes did not help much. However that may be different
with your set-up.

Arno