Storing Archives on Network

GR3555

      3rd Jun 2008
If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that they
are backed up nightly, is this possible? Also, if a users archive folder is
now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

Oliver Vukovics [Public Shareware]

      3rd Jun 2008
Hi GR3555,

> If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that
> they
> are backed up nightly, is this possible?

LAN PST files are unsupported by Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

>Also, if a users archive folder is
> now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

Yes, Outlook supports several PST files in one profil.

I prefer to "backup" PST files with this Microsoft freeware addin:

Oliver Vukovics
Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder
Synchronize Outlook between PC and Notebook: Public SyncTool
http://www.publicshareware.com

"GR3555" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that
> they
> are backed up nightly, is this possible? Also, if a users archive folder
> is
> now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

GR3555

      3rd Jun 2008
Thanks Oliver for replying. I thought that was the answer, but I didn't want
it to be true. So, with the add-in, do end-users have to individually backup
their .pst files, since they are stored locally then? If so, this is a
nightmare for network administrators. I would have to hire an intern to do
this type of activity, since you know that end-uers will not actually do it.
Are their other alternatives for managing archiving with Outlook 2003 and
Exchange 2003? Please say yes.

GR3555

"Oliver Vukovics [Public Shareware]" wrote:

> Hi GR3555,
>
> > If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that
> > they
> > are backed up nightly, is this possible?

> LAN PST files are unsupported by Microsoft:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019
>
> >Also, if a users archive folder is
> > now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

> Yes, Outlook supports several PST files in one profil.
>
> I prefer to "backup" PST files with this Microsoft freeware addin:

> Oliver Vukovics
> Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder
> Synchronize Outlook between PC and Notebook: Public SyncTool
> http://www.publicshareware.com
>
> "GR3555" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that
> > they
> > are backed up nightly, is this possible? Also, if a users archive folder
> > is
> > now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

Oliver Vukovics [Public Shareware]

      3rd Jun 2008
Dear GR3555,

>So, with the add-in, do end-users have to individually backup
> their .pst files, since they are stored locally then?

Correct.

>If so, this is a > nightmare for network administrators. I would have to
>hire an intern to do
> this type of activity, since you know that end-uers will not actually do
> it.

The program do this automatically if you close Outlook.

> Are their other alternatives for managing archiving with Outlook 2003 and
> Exchange 2003?
>Please say yes.

My pricelist:

Say no: 0 €
Say maybe: 10 €
Say yes: 1,000 € ;-)

To backup an Exchange server is much more difficult than to backup a PST
file.

Exchange backup solutions:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...-NTBACKUP.html

"How to automatically back up your personal folders file in Outlook 2000 and
Outlook 2003"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238782/en-us

Another way is to use a "Batch" file or a VBscript which will be started
with a "Planed Task" after you start your computer. With a "Planed Task" you
start this Batch file /VBscript and this will copy a PST file from your
Harddisk to a network folder.

On our website we have a VBscript for:

"If you want to copy the PST file to a "Server", NAS or a backup computer,
you can use a VBscript to copy automatically a PST file to another
location:"
http://www.publicshareware.com/tbl_s...rten.php?id=61

Maybe it helps.

--
Oliver Vukovics
Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder
Synchronize Outlook between PC and Notebook: Public SyncTool
http://www.publicshareware.com

"GR3555" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Oliver for replying. I thought that was the answer, but I didn't
> want
> it to be true. So, with the add-in, do end-users have to individually
> backup
> their .pst files, since they are stored locally then? If so, this is a
> nightmare for network administrators. I would have to hire an intern to do
> this type of activity, since you know that end-uers will not actually do
> it.
> Are their other alternatives for managing archiving with Outlook 2003 and
> Exchange 2003? Please say yes.
>
> GR3555
>
> "Oliver Vukovics [Public Shareware]" wrote:
>
>> Hi GR3555,
>>
>> > If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that
>> > they
>> > are backed up nightly, is this possible?

>> LAN PST files are unsupported by Microsoft:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019
>>
>> >Also, if a users archive folder is
>> > now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

>> Yes, Outlook supports several PST files in one profil.
>>
>> I prefer to "backup" PST files with this Microsoft freeware addin:
>>
>> --
>> Oliver Vukovics
>> Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder
>> Synchronize Outlook between PC and Notebook: Public SyncTool
>> http://www.publicshareware.com
>>
>> "GR3555" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that
>> > they
>> > are backed up nightly, is this possible? Also, if a users archive
>> > folder
>> > is
>> > now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

GR3555

      3rd Jun 2008
Oliver,
Boy, I want to charge your rates when I say yes to helping out my
co-workers. :-) I could retire while I'm young. I think the automated backup
of the .pst files will work. I backup Exchange on the server level, but will
need to implement either the VBscript or something like it to transfer over
their archive files from the local drive or someone will cry when they have a
hard drive failure. I wish everyone could just delete all the emails they
get, but in the world of CYA, it isn't possible to do this. Thanks for your
assistance.

> [...]

> > it.
> > Are their other alternatives for managing archiving with Outlook 2003 and
> > Exchange 2003? Please say yes.
> >
> > GR3555
> >
> > "Oliver Vukovics [Public Shareware]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi GR3555,

> >> LAN PST files are unsupported by Microsoft:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

> >> Yes, Outlook supports several PST files in one profil.
> >>
> >> I prefer to "backup" PST files with this Microsoft freeware addin:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >>
> >> --
> >> Oliver Vukovics
> >> Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder
> >> Synchronize Outlook between PC and Notebook: Public SyncTool
> >> http://www.publicshareware.com
> >>
> >> "GR3555" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

gilles

      4th Jun 2008
On 3 juin, 17:31, GR3555 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > SynchronizeOutlookbetween PC and Notebook: Public SyncTool
> >http://www.publicshareware.com

> > "GR3555" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks Oliver for replying. I thought that was the answer, but I didn't
> > > want
> > > it to be true. So, with the add-in, do end-users have to individually
> > > backup
> > > their .pstfiles, since they are stored locally then? If so, this is a
> > > nightmare for network administrators. I would have to hire an intern to do
> > > this type of activity, since you know that end-uers will not actually do
> > > it.
> > > Are their other alternatives for managing archiving withOutlook2003 and
> > > Exchange 2003? Please say yes.

> > > GR3555

> - Afficher le texte des messages prcdents -

Hello

You can also try BackupMyFolder! from AddOnMail (www.addonmail.com),
it's a freeware that allow you to schedule the backup of PST files
inside your profil even if Outlook is started. You can configure your
backup PST file on a share

Regards
Gilles