Stop Word from automatically updating date field when document is opened

Eternal

      17th Jun 2004
Hi,

I recently installed Office 2003 and since then whenever
I open a word document with a date field in it the date
is automatically updated to the current date. In Word
2002 if I didn't want the date updated I'd be able to hit
the undo button and the date would revert back to what it
was before. However, in Word 2003 I am not able to do
this as the undo button is not active.

This is a major problem for me since if I typed a memo
two weeks ago and want to print out another copy later,
it will show the current date and not the date when I
created it. Imagine typing something a year ago and when
your boss asks you for a copy a year later it looks like
you just typed it.

Is there any way to prevent Word from automatically
updating the date field, or any other field, without you
expressly wanting to? I'd hate to have to revert back to
Office XP just to get away from this one problem.

Thanx.

Jezebel

      17th Jun 2004
The problem is, you're using the wrong kind of date field. DATE gives you
the current date, by design. What you want is the CreateDate.

"Eternal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1db7101c45464$22f1c7f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Office 2003 and since then whenever
> I open a word document with a date field in it the date
> is automatically updated to the current date. In Word
> 2002 if I didn't want the date updated I'd be able to hit
> the undo button and the date would revert back to what it
> was before. However, in Word 2003 I am not able to do
> this as the undo button is not active.
>
> This is a major problem for me since if I typed a memo
> two weeks ago and want to print out another copy later,
> it will show the current date and not the date when I
> created it. Imagine typing something a year ago and when
> your boss asks you for a copy a year later it looks like
> you just typed it.
>
> Is there any way to prevent Word from automatically
> updating the date field, or any other field, without you
> expressly wanting to? I'd hate to have to revert back to
> Office XP just to get away from this one problem.
>
> Thanx.

Stefan Blom

      17th Jun 2004
Press ALT+F9 in order to show field codes. The date that keeps
updating will display as a DATE or a TIME field (most likely followed
by formatting instructions such as \@ "MMMM d yyyy"). Instead of DATE
(or TIME), type CREATEDATE, click F9 to update the field, and click
ALT+F9 again to hide field codes. You have now modified the field so
that it will always show the creation date of the document. In the
future, you can use Insert > Fields and select the CREATEDATE field
directly. Or you can add it to your template.

--
Stefan Blom

"Eternal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1db7101c45464$22f1c7f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Office 2003 and since then whenever
> I open a word document with a date field in it the date
> is automatically updated to the current date. In Word
> 2002 if I didn't want the date updated I'd be able to hit
> the undo button and the date would revert back to what it
> was before. However, in Word 2003 I am not able to do
> this as the undo button is not active.
>
> This is a major problem for me since if I typed a memo
> two weeks ago and want to print out another copy later,
> it will show the current date and not the date when I
> created it. Imagine typing something a year ago and when
> your boss asks you for a copy a year later it looks like
> you just typed it.
>
> Is there any way to prevent Word from automatically
> updating the date field, or any other field, without you
> expressly wanting to? I'd hate to have to revert back to
> Office XP just to get away from this one problem.
>
> Thanx.

Eternal

      17th Jun 2004
Thanx.

It's a bit tedious to have to change this on every document, but it does
solve the problem and I know how to avoid it in the future.

Thanx again.

Eternal.

"Stefan Blom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Press ALT+F9 in order to show field codes. The date that keeps
> updating will display as a DATE or a TIME field (most likely followed
> by formatting instructions such as \@ "MMMM d yyyy"). Instead of DATE
> (or TIME), type CREATEDATE, click F9 to update the field, and click
> ALT+F9 again to hide field codes. You have now modified the field so
> that it will always show the creation date of the document. In the
> future, you can use Insert > Fields and select the CREATEDATE field
> directly. Or you can add it to your template.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
>

> "Eternal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1db7101c45464$22f1c7f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently installed Office 2003 and since then whenever
> > I open a word document with a date field in it the date
> > is automatically updated to the current date. In Word
> > 2002 if I didn't want the date updated I'd be able to hit
> > the undo button and the date would revert back to what it
> > was before. However, in Word 2003 I am not able to do
> > this as the undo button is not active.
> >
> > This is a major problem for me since if I typed a memo
> > two weeks ago and want to print out another copy later,
> > it will show the current date and not the date when I
> > created it. Imagine typing something a year ago and when
> > your boss asks you for a copy a year later it looks like
> > you just typed it.
> >
> > Is there any way to prevent Word from automatically
> > updating the date field, or any other field, without you
> > expressly wanting to? I'd hate to have to revert back to
> > Office XP just to get away from this one problem.
> >
> > Thanx.

Stefan Blom

      18th Jun 2004
You're welcome.