how to stop "download" pop-up

Vivian Carroll

      5th Nov 2003
Please Help!

I don't use Windows Messenger and I don't want to use it. For weeks I have
been getting a Windows Messenger pop-up telling me that I must download the
latest version to continue. There is no way for me to say that I don't want
to do the download. I use AOL 8.0 and have run their special software to
block Messenger pop-ups - but it didn't work. I also have Outlook Express
6.0 and Internet Explorer 6.0. How can I stop the pop-up without doing the
download?

TIA,
Vivian Carroll

      5th Nov 2003
Hi Vivian.

I've been driven mad by the same problem. I found the fix
on an earlier entry on the forum. I've included it below -
I've carried out the instructions and it works.
Good luck.
Peter
(E-Mail Removed)

*************************

Subject: Re: Pop-up for Upgrade
From: "Jonathan Kay [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Sent: 10/23/2003 12:31:50 PM

Greetings Paky,

Firstly, remove your saved Passport login in Windows XP, so
it can't automatically sign you
in to the service (you can readd this back in the future if
you like), click the Start
Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User
Accounts in the Control Panel. Select
your account name, and then on the left side of the screen,
under Related Tasks, click
'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that opens,
click the Passport.Net\* (Passport)
entry and click 'Remove'.

Then, do you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed? Norton
added a new "instant messaging
scanning" feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can
conflict with Messenger and cause some
of this behavior. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus
(Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon
in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose
'Open Norton Antivirus'), click
Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant
Messenger and click OK.

If the window is still open with the upgrade question, say
No, it should now stop trying.

Then download the latest Windows Messenger here (in case
you decide to use it in the future,
and to stop further 'annoynaces':
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Paky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pal I am in your same situation !!!
> Someone help please !!!!!!!!
> Paky
>
> "David Barash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<0b2401c3994d$5065db90$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > I am getting this persistent pop-up asking me if I want
> > to upgrade to the latest version. How do I get rid of
> > it?
> >
> > I have already disabled Messenger, but it still comes up
> > every time a log-on.
> >
> > Thanks.

..

Vivian Carroll

      5th Nov 2003
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removing Passport.Net did the trick!

news:07fa01c3a375$caf94220$(E-Mail Removed)...