STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} Session Manager Initialization 0xc000003a

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

      28th Mar 2004
I'm posting this message just as a thread root.
Do not try to help me with this one you can't but all of you who saw this
error feel free to post your observations what was the problem in your
particular case.

I'm going too try to see what is causing this error in my unusual boot
scenario.

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/...ity/newsgroups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KM

      28th Mar 2004
Slobodan,

Just out of curiosity...
Are you trying to remove the drive letter assignment from the system drive?
I think I've since the error when I played with Disk Administrator on
remotely booted image. It was a while ago and I don't recall the details.

KM

> I'm posting this message just as a thread root.
> Do not try to help me with this one you can't but all of you who saw this
> error feel free to post your observations what was the problem in your
> particular case.
>
> I'm going too try to see what is causing this error in my unusual boot
> scenario.
>

> STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
> The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
> with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
> The system has been shut down.
>
> Regards,
> Slobodan
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups?

Tell
> Microsoft!
> https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/...ity/newsgroups

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

      28th Mar 2004
Hi Konstantin,

No I never had assigned volume letters, I have modified my filter driver and
few other things, and now I can't reach FBA.
I can always fallback to some older XPE/driver solution but I would like to
know what have I done to offend Session Manager.

I have been testing my driver on kernel mode image and because of that I
have not noticed this strange error.

I'm tracing the problem trough KD although I have not checked volume letter
assignment yet.

BTW:

Check out this nightmare:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...c000021a+0xc00
0003a&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

This problem seems to be related to some volume initialization problem, but
I'm failing to see what is the exact cause of this.

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/...ity/newsgroups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Slobodan,
>
> Just out of curiosity...
> Are you trying to remove the drive letter assignment from the system

drive?
> I think I've since the error when I played with Disk Administrator on
> remotely booted image. It was a while ago and I don't recall the details.
>
> KM
>
> > I'm posting this message just as a thread root.
> > Do not try to help me with this one you can't but all of you who saw

this
> > error feel free to post your observations what was the problem in your
> > particular case.
> >
> > I'm going too try to see what is causing this error in my unusual boot
> > scenario.
> >

> > STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
> > The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated

unexpectedly
> > with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
> > The system has been shut down.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Slobodan
> >
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups?

> Tell
> > Microsoft!
> > https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/...ity/newsgroups
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

=?Utf-8?B?VGlueQ==?=

      29th Mar 2004
I had this problem, and in the end it wasa caused by a faulty IDE cable, used when loading the files onto the target disk...!!! I went back to previous working confgs, they also now failed, so I figures a hardware problem, swapped the disk, swapped the PC, the only thing I did not swap was the IDE ribbon, as soon as I swapped that. everything then started working again. I think the copying process was coppying crap to the disk (I noticed it by a corrupt IDE Vendor descrition in the BIOS bootup screen..

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

      31st Mar 2004
I have made a workaround for this problem. Someday perhaps I'll look for the
cause of this behavior.

But some info what is happening.
In disk driver calls on IoRegisterDeviceInterface(, DiskClassGuid, ...
request succeed. And fails IoRegisterDeviceInterface(, PartitionClassGuid,
requests.

GUID_DEVINTERFACE_DISK aka DiskClassGuid
GUID_DEVINTERFACE_VOLUME aka PartitionClassGuid

This is not much of info but it could help someone else to start debugging..

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/...ity/newsgroups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Slobodan Brcin (eMVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm posting this message just as a thread root.
> Do not try to help me with this one you can't but all of you who saw this
> error feel free to post your observations what was the problem in your
> particular case.
>
> I'm going too try to see what is causing this error in my unusual boot
> scenario.
>

> STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
> The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
> with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
> The system has been shut down.
>
> Regards,
> Slobodan
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups?

Tell
> Microsoft!
> https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/...ity/newsgroups

New Member

      30th Jan 2012
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Got this when ghosting the Windows 7 volume on a multiboot Win XP & Win 7 magnetic drive to a single boot Windows 7 only onto an SSD. The Windows 7 volume (original) was the second volume when it was part of the multiboot volume.

After fixing the MBR and BCD (I did this by installing a second Win 7 installation and patching it), I got the error stated above when attempting to boot into my ghosted original win 7.

Solution was to use the second win 7 to mount the system hive of the original win 7 and delete the "MountedDevices" key (Windows recreates it if its missing, and maps all drives logically).

References are:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/a...-c000021a.aspx

http://diddy.boot-land.net/firadisk/...teddevices.htm

New Member

      11th Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevagabond View Post
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Solution was to use the second win 7 to mount the system hive of the original win 7 and delete the "MountedDevices" key (Windows recreates it if its missing, and maps all drives logically).

Got this when copied my windows 7 system partition to a new SSD.

WOW. IT HELPED. YOU RULE. THANKS SOOOO MUCH!!!