stdole32.tlb is missing or damaged

=?Utf-8?B?UmVkU294?=

      4th Nov 2004
I helped a friend install his copy of Office XP Professional last week and
everything installed fine. His computer is for home use and he has several
children accounts and one adminstration account. All of the Office products
work fine except Excel. Excel works fine on the admin account but he
receives the following error message when he launches Excel on any of the
other accounts:

"One of your object libraries (stdole32.tlb) is missing or damaged. Please
run setup to install it."

If you select ok then it appears to run and work fine but each time you run
Excel on any of the non-admin accounts you get this error message.

Any advise on how to help him fix this would be appreciated and any insight
as to how this happened would also be appreciated. Before I left this
friends house after the initial install I checked to see if it worked on all
accounts and it did so he or someone changed something to cause this. Of
course he says that he didn't do anything.

I've already run the repair option and it didn't fix the problem and I
deinstalled Office and re-installed it and this didn't fix it either.

thanks.

Jim Rech

      4th Nov 2004
This article may help:

Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"RedSox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
|I helped a friend install his copy of Office XP Professional last week and
| everything installed fine. His computer is for home use and he has
several
| children accounts and one adminstration account. All of the Office
products
| work fine except Excel. Excel works fine on the admin account but he
| receives the following error message when he launches Excel on any of the
| other accounts:
|
| "One of your object libraries (stdole32.tlb) is missing or damaged.
Please
| run setup to install it."
|
| If you select ok then it appears to run and work fine but each time you
run
| Excel on any of the non-admin accounts you get this error message.
|
| Any advise on how to help him fix this would be appreciated and any
insight
| as to how this happened would also be appreciated. Before I left this
| friends house after the initial install I checked to see if it worked on
all
| accounts and it did so he or someone changed something to cause this. Of
| course he says that he didn't do anything.
|
| I've already run the repair option and it didn't fix the problem and I
| deinstalled Office and re-installed it and this didn't fix it either.
|
| thanks.

New Member

      19th Nov 2007
To fix this problem,
I installed and ran a program called security explorer. You may need to install Microsoft dotnet version 1.1 first.
Dotnet version 2.0 may already be installed but my version of Security Explorer needed the earlier version of Dot Net

Create a restore point :-), just in case......

Once Security Explorer is installed and up and running;

then

I switched it to registry mode. Drilled down to the following.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib

Now you need to add the "everyone" user to this key and all the sub keys. Type everyone into the user box, remember to select the option to force permissions on protected keys. Now go OK/Apply. Security explorer will then add the user "everyone" access rights to all the keys, with full permissions.

That is the problem, something adds protected keys and when things need to write to that key when they are installed they fail, even when you are logged in as GOD. :-(

Security Explorer deals to Permissions like no other tool we've seen.

Once this is done reboot, "repair" the office installation. Problems should be solved.

Wayne Methorst
New Zealand

New Member

      13th Aug 2008
I had a similar problem of stdole32.tlb error and the windows installer starting everytime office 2007 application was launched. This also used to happen everytime i sent or received a mail in Outlook.

I tried all the solutions that I could locate on the forums but it did not help.

Ultimately, I uninstalled all microsoft office installations and deleted all references to microsoft office and its applications in the registery file using regedit from"run" command.

Then I rebooted and re-installed microsoft office 2007.

BINGO !!!

Its like a dream come true after several weeks of frustration.

New Member

      20th Jan 2009
A big mess with my PC too after installing or removing something.But the OFFICE 2007 problem or third party problem that came in play arised.Probably it's not the Office 2007 problem itself but something missing or corrupted that let it work well.
Tried a lot of things.Cleaning,reinstalling,registry changes,windows Clean Up tool and so on.Nothing worked.Really nothing.Be careful by trying some methods you find on the web.
If you see the problem with Windows Installer appearing in Word,stdole32.tlb in Excel and Powerpoint that even doesn't work,icons for these programs that suddenly doesn't change automatically(like .doc and .docx that doesn't show the Word icon)...stop messing around and reinstall your operating system.All these problems disappear like snow in the hot sun.Don't waste hours to find a solution for this.It's just not there as a simple treat.

New Member

      10th Apr 2010
Can you give more details of what you deleted in regedit.eg did you remove any item including the word"excel" or "outlook" or only those items with the word "microsoft office"