Starting an AUTONUMBER at a specific number

kfowlow

      22nd Dec 2008
Group,
I have a database that I want to give colleagues to input data when they
travel. It is a copy of my larger database but without the data. They will
have blank tables and they can fill in their data and when they get back they
can give it to me to update the main database. To keep things straight and
less work for me. I want to start off each colleague on a different
AUTONUMBER. They will have numbers like 9000,10000, 11000, 12000. How can I
start the AUTONUMBER at a specific number? Maybe I can't. Is there a way to
paste in a specific number in a record?

Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays.

Daniel Pineault

      22nd Dec 2008
Soud to me you should look into db replication for your needs.
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

"kfowlow" wrote:

> Group,
> I have a database that I want to give colleagues to input data when they
> travel. It is a copy of my larger database but without the data. They will
> have blank tables and they can fill in their data and when they get back they
> can give it to me to update the main database. To keep things straight and
> less work for me. I want to start off each colleague on a different
> AUTONUMBER. They will have numbers like 9000,10000, 11000, 12000. How can I
> start the AUTONUMBER at a specific number? Maybe I can't. Is there a way to
> paste in a specific number in a record?
>
> Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays.

Fred Boer

      22nd Dec 2008
Hello:

Autonumbers can be manipulated, IIRC, but an autonumber shouldn't be used in
a situation where the value of the number matters. An autonumber is designed
to create a unique identifier for a record, and it isn't guaranteed to
remain in sequence. So if the value of the number matters, as it does here,
don't use an Autonumber - create your own counter field. Roger Carlson has a
useful sample here:

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/f...37117efaz7e98d

HTH
--
Fred Boer - Amateur Access Enthusiast
Interests: Library software / Z39.50 / Web Services

"kfowlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Group,
> I have a database that I want to give colleagues to input data when they
> travel. It is a copy of my larger database but without the data. They will
> have blank tables and they can fill in their data and when they get back
> they
> can give it to me to update the main database. To keep things straight and
> less work for me. I want to start off each colleague on a different
> AUTONUMBER. They will have numbers like 9000,10000, 11000, 12000. How can
> start the AUTONUMBER at a specific number? Maybe I can't. Is there a way
> paste in a specific number in a record?
>
> Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays.

MikeR

      22nd Dec 2008
kfowlow wrote:
> Group,
> I have a database that I want to give colleagues to input data when they
> travel. It is a copy of my larger database but without the data. They will
> have blank tables and they can fill in their data and when they get back they
> can give it to me to update the main database. To keep things straight and
> less work for me. I want to start off each colleague on a different
> AUTONUMBER. They will have numbers like 9000,10000, 11000, 12000. How can I
> start the AUTONUMBER at a specific number? Maybe I can't. Is there a way to
> paste in a specific number in a record?
>
> Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays.

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/reset_autonumber.html
Mike