Standard VGA driver disabled = no monitor

Annabananamc

      24th Jun 2008
Hello:

I was trying to install a new video driver for our org's computer and in the
process I disabled the standard vga driver through the control panel. Now my
computer will boot just fine, XP logo screen shows up then goes black. I get
the nice sounds that a boot was successful, but have no video at all - just
charcoal colored screen.

I tried booting in safe mode, but it hangs after '...installing mup.sys...
or something like that. Can anyone help? (maybe if I could memorize the
keystrokes to enable the driver that would work - lol) I'm desperate - we're
a small non-profit and I've rendered our only computer useless!

R. McCarty

      24th Jun 2008
Did you try 2 of the Safe Mode boot optional mode(s):
Last Known working configuration
Enable VGA mode

"Annabananamc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> I was trying to install a new video driver for our org's computer and in
> the
> process I disabled the standard vga driver through the control panel. Now
> my
> computer will boot just fine, XP logo screen shows up then goes black. I
> get
> the nice sounds that a boot was successful, but have no video at all -
> just
> charcoal colored screen.
>
> I tried booting in safe mode, but it hangs after '...installing mup.sys...
> or something like that. Can anyone help? (maybe if I could memorize the
> keystrokes to enable the driver that would work - lol) I'm desperate -
> we're
> a small non-profit and I've rendered our only computer useless!

Annabananamc

      24th Jun 2008

yes, same thing - I also tried booting in debug mode. and with command
prompt. I think the problem is that with VGA mode, that is the driver I
disabled. We don't have a video card on this pc, so that is really the only
driver that could work.

I just don't know where to go next with this one....

isn't there a way to boot where you step through the driver loading one line
at a time?

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Did you try 2 of the Safe Mode boot optional mode(s):
> Last Known working configuration
> Enable VGA mode
>

> "Annabananamc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello:
> >
> > I was trying to install a new video driver for our org's computer and in
> > the
> > process I disabled the standard vga driver through the control panel. Now
> > my
> > computer will boot just fine, XP logo screen shows up then goes black. I
> > get
> > the nice sounds that a boot was successful, but have no video at all -
> > just
> > charcoal colored screen.
> >
> > I tried booting in safe mode, but it hangs after '...installing mup.sys...
> > or something like that. Can anyone help? (maybe if I could memorize the
> > keystrokes to enable the driver that would work - lol) I'm desperate -
> > we're
> > a small non-profit and I've rendered our only computer useless!

R. McCarty

      24th Jun 2008

You may want to try the procedure in this KB article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
*Hopefully your machine has and is using System Restore

"Annabananamc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> yes, same thing - I also tried booting in debug mode. and with command
> prompt. I think the problem is that with VGA mode, that is the driver I
> disabled. We don't have a video card on this pc, so that is really the
> only
> driver that could work.
>
> I just don't know where to go next with this one....
>
> isn't there a way to boot where you step through the driver loading one
> line
> at a time?
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Did you try 2 of the Safe Mode boot optional mode(s):
>> Last Known working configuration
>> Enable VGA mode
>>

>> "Annabananamc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hello:
>> >
>> > I was trying to install a new video driver for our org's computer and
>> > in
>> > the
>> > process I disabled the standard vga driver through the control panel.
>> > Now
>> > my
>> > computer will boot just fine, XP logo screen shows up then goes black.
>> > get
>> > the nice sounds that a boot was successful, but have no video at all -
>> > just
>> > charcoal colored screen.
>> >
>> > I tried booting in safe mode, but it hangs after '...installing
>> > mup.sys...
>> > or something like that. Can anyone help? (maybe if I could memorize
>> > the
>> > keystrokes to enable the driver that would work - lol) I'm desperate -
>> > we're
>> > a small non-profit and I've rendered our only computer useless!

Annabananamc

      24th Jun 2008

Thanks, I'll try that. I do not know about the System Restore as this was a
donated computer and the donor has no clue about anything (sometimes free is
VERY expensive!)

I was able to get into repair mode/command prompt so at least I have some
access to the disk drive. Not that I know what to do with it - lol

<rant>I am about ready to throw in the towel. I actually used to know a lot
about computers - CS degree and working on them since 1980, but XP has just
about wiped out any confidence I had in understanding what is going on.
</rant>

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> You may want to try the procedure in this KB article.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
> *Hopefully your machine has and is using System Restore
>

> "Annabananamc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > yes, same thing - I also tried booting in debug mode. and with command
> > prompt. I think the problem is that with VGA mode, that is the driver I
> > disabled. We don't have a video card on this pc, so that is really the
> > only
> > driver that could work.
> >
> > I just don't know where to go next with this one....
> >
> > isn't there a way to boot where you step through the driver loading one
> > line
> > at a time?
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you try 2 of the Safe Mode boot optional mode(s):
> >> Last Known working configuration
> >> Enable VGA mode
> >>

> >> "Annabananamc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Annabananamc

      24th Jun 2008
ok, now I can navigate to this directory

systemroot\system32\restore

and I can see this file in there

rstrui.exe

but how do I get it to run? If I type rstrui.exe or run rstrui I get a
command unknown message....

sgopus

      24th Jun 2008
using command shell you would have to change to that directory in order to
run the exe.

ie run cmd cd/ yadda yadda yadda

"Annabananamc" wrote:

> ok, now I can navigate to this directory
>
> systemroot\system32\restore
>
> and I can see this file in there
>
> rstrui.exe
>
> but how do I get it to run? If I type rstrui.exe or run rstrui I get a
> command unknown message....

Annabananamc

      24th Jun 2008

well poop - I wasn't really in the command shell, I was in the Recovery
Console from my install CD....

I think I'm going to need a break here. I am fairly certain that what I
need to do is re-enable the standard VGA driver but have no clue where to
start and I'm driving blind. Hope I can find a way to do this from the
Recovery Console or something else.

Thanks for being so patient with me - any additional ideas are welcome!

"sgopus" wrote:

> using command shell you would have to change to that directory in order to
> run the exe.
>
> ie run cmd cd/ yadda yadda yadda
>
> "Annabananamc" wrote:
>
> > ok, now I can navigate to this directory
> >
> > systemroot\system32\restore
> >
> > and I can see this file in there
> >
> > rstrui.exe
> >
> > but how do I get it to run? If I type rstrui.exe or run rstrui I get a
> > command unknown message....

3c273

      24th Jun 2008
See if this page helps. You should be able to type "enable vga" at the
recovery console but I'm not sure this will undo your mistake.
Louis

"Annabananamc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> well poop - I wasn't really in the command shell, I was in the Recovery
> Console from my install CD....
>
> I think I'm going to need a break here. I am fairly certain that what I
> need to do is re-enable the standard VGA driver but have no clue where to
> start and I'm driving blind. Hope I can find a way to do this from the
> Recovery Console or something else.
>
> Thanks for being so patient with me - any additional ideas are welcome!
>

> "sgopus" wrote:
>
> > using command shell you would have to change to that directory in order

> > run the exe.
> >
> > ie run cmd cd/ yadda yadda yadda
> >
> > "Annabananamc" wrote:
> >
> > > ok, now I can navigate to this directory
> > >
> > > systemroot\system32\restore
> > >
> > > and I can see this file in there
> > >
> > > rstrui.exe
> > >
> > > but how do I get it to run? If I type rstrui.exe or run rstrui I get a
> > > command unknown message....

3c273

      24th Jun 2008
Oops! Forgot link :-)