Standalone Computer - Outlook 2007 - Folders Synchronising

Karol Elliott

      25th Oct 2008
I know this is mentioned in two other posts, but I've read them and they are
diverting away from the heart of my problem. I have a standalone machine,
connecting to BT for my mail, I'm running Outlook 2007 on Windows XP, I use
AVG Internet security. Outlook is set to 10 minute updates and I have
nothing in my outbox. For the past couple of weeks, when I log on and open
Outlook it spends 10 - 60 minutes syncronising folders, and my machine stops
responding to other commands as it eats up the processing power. It does
finished eventually, but often I just have to kill it. As I am not linked in
anyway (to my knowledge) to Exchange, what folders is it trying to
syncronise, with what & why?

I have run Scanpst.exe on my personal folders.
I've tried opening in safe mode.
I have repaired my email accounts without incident.
I have run Office Diagnostics also without incident.
I have made sure Automatically Generate Microsoft Exchange Views was
unticked in the personal folders properties.

So what's it doing and how do I stop it?

Many thanks to anyone willing to help.

DL

      25th Oct 2008
Uninstall any AVG intergration with Outlook
(simply disabling mail scanning in AVG may not work, best to uninstall,
reboot, reinstall without the Outlook intergration)

"Karol Elliott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know this is mentioned in two other posts, but I've read them and they
>are
> diverting away from the heart of my problem. I have a standalone machine,
> connecting to BT for my mail, I'm running Outlook 2007 on Windows XP, I
> use
> AVG Internet security. Outlook is set to 10 minute updates and I have
> nothing in my outbox. For the past couple of weeks, when I log on and
> open
> Outlook it spends 10 - 60 minutes syncronising folders, and my machine
> stops
> responding to other commands as it eats up the processing power. It does
> finished eventually, but often I just have to kill it. As I am not linked
> in
> anyway (to my knowledge) to Exchange, what folders is it trying to
> syncronise, with what & why?
>
> I have run Scanpst.exe on my personal folders.
> I've tried opening in safe mode.
> I have repaired my email accounts without incident.
> I have run Office Diagnostics also without incident.
> I have made sure Automatically Generate Microsoft Exchange Views was
> unticked in the personal folders properties.
>
> So what's it doing and how do I stop it?
>
> Many thanks to anyone willing to help.

Karol Elliott

      25th Oct 2008
I'll try although I've scanned through the options and help and I can't see
how you do it. It doesn't seem to refer to outlook anywhere in it. I'll
keep looking, but if you know how, would you mind telling me.

Thanks

"DL" wrote:

> Uninstall any AVG intergration with Outlook
> (simply disabling mail scanning in AVG may not work, best to uninstall,
> reboot, reinstall without the Outlook intergration)
>
> "Karol Elliott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I know this is mentioned in two other posts, but I've read them and they
> >are
> > diverting away from the heart of my problem. I have a standalone machine,
> > connecting to BT for my mail, I'm running Outlook 2007 on Windows XP, I
> > use
> > AVG Internet security. Outlook is set to 10 minute updates and I have
> > nothing in my outbox. For the past couple of weeks, when I log on and
> > open
> > Outlook it spends 10 - 60 minutes syncronising folders, and my machine
> > stops
> > responding to other commands as it eats up the processing power. It does
> > finished eventually, but often I just have to kill it. As I am not linked
> > in
> > anyway (to my knowledge) to Exchange, what folders is it trying to
> > syncronise, with what & why?
> >
> > I have run Scanpst.exe on my personal folders.
> > I've tried opening in safe mode.
> > I have repaired my email accounts without incident.
> > I have run Office Diagnostics also without incident.
> > I have made sure Automatically Generate Microsoft Exchange Views was
> > unticked in the personal folders properties.
> >
> > So what's it doing and how do I stop it?
> >
> > Many thanks to anyone willing to help.

DL

      25th Oct 2008
I dont use AVG, but generally any AV thats installed will configure itself
to intergrate into outlook to scan your email, unless you deselect that
option during its installation.

According to AVG web site, 'provides email scanning with all major mail
apps, like Outlook etc'

"Karol Elliott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll try although I've scanned through the options and help and I can't
> see
> how you do it. It doesn't seem to refer to outlook anywhere in it. I'll
> keep looking, but if you know how, would you mind telling me.
>
> Thanks
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> Uninstall any AVG intergration with Outlook
>> (simply disabling mail scanning in AVG may not work, best to uninstall,
>> reboot, reinstall without the Outlook intergration)
>>
>> "Karol Elliott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I know this is mentioned in two other posts, but I've read them and they
>> >are
>> > diverting away from the heart of my problem. I have a standalone
>> > machine,
>> > connecting to BT for my mail, I'm running Outlook 2007 on Windows XP, I
>> > use
>> > AVG Internet security. Outlook is set to 10 minute updates and I have
>> > nothing in my outbox. For the past couple of weeks, when I log on and
>> > open
>> > Outlook it spends 10 - 60 minutes syncronising folders, and my machine
>> > stops
>> > responding to other commands as it eats up the processing power. It
>> > does
>> > finished eventually, but often I just have to kill it. As I am not
>> > linked
>> > in
>> > anyway (to my knowledge) to Exchange, what folders is it trying to
>> > syncronise, with what & why?
>> >
>> > I have run Scanpst.exe on my personal folders.
>> > I've tried opening in safe mode.
>> > I have repaired my email accounts without incident.
>> > I have run Office Diagnostics also without incident.
>> > I have made sure Automatically Generate Microsoft Exchange Views was
>> > unticked in the personal folders properties.
>> >
>> > So what's it doing and how do I stop it?
>> >
>> > Many thanks to anyone willing to help.

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

      27th Oct 2008
"Karol Elliott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'll try although I've scanned through the options and help and I can't
> see
> how you do it. It doesn't seem to refer to outlook anywhere in it. I'll
> keep looking, but if you know how, would you mind telling me.

When you install AVG, you are given the choice of what component scanners
you wish to install. One of those components will be the email scanner.
Uncheck it before completing the installation.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

patrick

      16th Jan 2009
I have the same proble although my AV is Panda.This has never happened
before but it seems like outlook 2007 just wants to synchronise folders and I
can do nothing else ? How do I cure this ?

Patrick

--
CCS