SSE Extension Wars

dave

      4th Sep 2007

SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

rhyde@cs.ucr.edu

      6th Sep 2007
On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719
>
> --

And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
abhorration.
hLater,
Randy Hyde

Tim Roberts

      7th Sep 2007

>On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

>And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
>abhorration.

I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
they're through yet.

I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".
--
Tim Roberts, (E-Mail Removed)
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Rod Pemberton

      7th Sep 2007

"Tim Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
> >abhorration.

> I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
> unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

Are you sure he wasn't reaching for "abhorrence" from "aberration"? I'm
sure Intel spent too much money and invested too many man hours for EMT to
be an aberration. However, it was definately abhorrent to a huge industry
invested in x86.

RP

Phil Carmody

      7th Sep 2007
Tim Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD
> >>
> >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

> >And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
> >abhorration.

> I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
> and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
> Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
> they're through yet.

There are two battles, quite different. Intel x86 vs. other x86,
in which no-one apart from AMD has been able to get Intel to
suffer from more than a little chaffing. Secondly there's Intel x86
vs. all other architectures, which has been far less aggressive,
and slower moving. The other big boys had or have their niche,
but many of them gave ground to AMD. Historically Intel are fairly
solid in their position. Funnily enough, AMD doing well in the
inter-nicene x86 battle probably helps Intel maintain their strong
x86 vs. other architectures position.

> I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
> unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

I preferred mapping it onto "abhorrence".

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration

dave

      7th Sep 2007
In alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 Tim Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

>>And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
>>abhorration.

> I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
> and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
> Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
> they're through yet.
>
> I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
> unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

Horriffic is now used so frequently that it might as well be considered a word.
Abhorration may follow the path of horriffic.--

Sebastian Biallas

      7th Sep 2007
Tim Roberts schrieb:
> I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
> unfortunately is not.

I think it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Spoon

      7th Sep 2007
Randy Hyde wrote:

> And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win.
> EMT was an abhorration.

ITYM aberration :-)

mike3

      16th Sep 2007
On Sep 6, 9:40 pm, Tim Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD

> >>http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

> >And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
> >abhorration.

> I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,

Let's hope *Microsoft's* monopoly gets toppled soon.