Leon

      20th Aug 2004
Hi all,

Running a Windows XP Professional and the spooler service keeps eating up
all CPU power. It work in cycles and the cpu usage history show picks and
troffs all the time witht he spoolsv.exe process been the cause.

I have none of the registry keys the following pages talk about:

Backdoor.Ciadoor.B - Symantec Corporation
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ciadoor.b.html

Hacktool.Privshell - Symantec Corporation
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...privshell.html

VBS.Masscal.Worm (vbs) - Symantec Corporation
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...scal.worm.html

Graybird-A @ Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...graybirda.html

I also found this page with outher related information:

You will be able to end this through task manager!

--

http://support.microsoft.com/default...263201&sd=tech

Spoolsv.exe - You cannot end this process from Task Manager.

The spooler service is responsible for managing spooled print/fax jobs.

--

Virus Precaution:

The spoolsv.exe which is from Microsoft is located in the
c:\windows\System32 folder. We've been able to find several viruses that run
as spoolsv to trick you.

But none of the above helps me out in solving this issue, Sophos AVP is upto
date and done extensive scans for spyware as well.
Can anyone suggest another avenue i can tackle to stop this service eating
my cpu usage. thx.

=?Utf-8?B?TUFQ?=

      20th Aug 2004

http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...u=+Spoolsv.exe