Spooler SubSystem Error and printers disappearing and reappearing

James

      10th Dec 2008
We have about 100 computers here at work and only 1 person right now has this
issue. Out of nowhere he will get the Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a
problem and needs toclose...... And now what is odd is his printers will
disappear from the printers and faxes window and then reappear within a
minute or disappearing. I have read some say to reinstall the driver but I
dont think it has anything to do with that since others I have read tried
that and had no success. This is a user who is already a pain... I figured it
was just a "user error" like usual but who knows. Lookin to find out if
anyone knows anything about this. He has a new Dell desktop running windows
XP and he has a couple printers connected to our print server. Whats odd is
its all the printers that disappear even that default printer that is in
there when no other printer is there.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      11th Dec 2008
There's a KB article on just this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757/it)

What I would do is uninstall and reinstall ALL the printers on the User's
PC:
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
Making sure you include Step 4.

The User's Spooler Service is obviously set to restart if it crashes, and
that's why his printers disappear (from the Spooler crash) and then reappear
(from it restarting).
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Nine.htm

--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

> We have about 100 computers here at work and only 1 person right now has
> this
> issue. Out of nowhere he will get the Spooler SubSystem App has
> encountered a
> problem and needs toclose...... And now what is odd is his printers will
> disappear from the printers and faxes window and then reappear within a
> minute or disappearing. I have read some say to reinstall the driver but I
> dont think it has anything to do with that since others I have read tried
> that and had no success. This is a user who is already a pain... I figured
> it
> was just a "user error" like usual but who knows. Lookin to find out if
> anyone knows anything about this. He has a new Dell desktop running
> windows
> XP and he has a couple printers connected to our print server. Whats odd
> is
> its all the printers that disappear even that default printer that is in
> there when no other printer is there.

James

      11th Dec 2008
If I remove the "it" at the end of that link is that the english version of
it? I dont know italian so not sure if those are the same two articles

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> There's a KB article on just this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757/it)
>
> What I would do is uninstall and reinstall ALL the printers on the User's
> PC:
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
> Making sure you include Step 4.
>
> The User's Spooler Service is obviously set to restart if it crashes, and
> that's why his printers disappear (from the Spooler crash) and then reappear
> (from it restarting).
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Nine.htm
>
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have about 100 computers here at work and only 1 person right now has
> > this
> > issue. Out of nowhere he will get the Spooler SubSystem App has
> > encountered a
> > problem and needs toclose...... And now what is odd is his printers will
> > disappear from the printers and faxes window and then reappear within a
> > minute or disappearing. I have read some say to reinstall the driver but I
> > dont think it has anything to do with that since others I have read tried
> > that and had no success. This is a user who is already a pain... I figured
> > it
> > was just a "user error" like usual but who knows. Lookin to find out if
> > anyone knows anything about this. He has a new Dell desktop running
> > windows
> > XP and he has a couple printers connected to our print server. Whats odd
> > is
> > its all the printers that disappear even that default printer that is in
> > there when no other printer is there.

James

      11th Dec 2008
Also I have already removed all the printers and readded them but still have
the same issue. These are network printers along with the basic microsoft
default printer that are disappearing in the folder. This one is the only
user with this problem.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> There's a KB article on just this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757/it)
>
> What I would do is uninstall and reinstall ALL the printers on the User's
> PC:
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
> Making sure you include Step 4.
>
> The User's Spooler Service is obviously set to restart if it crashes, and
> that's why his printers disappear (from the Spooler crash) and then reappear
> (from it restarting).
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Nine.htm
>
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have about 100 computers here at work and only 1 person right now has
> > this
> > issue. Out of nowhere he will get the Spooler SubSystem App has
> > encountered a
> > problem and needs toclose...... And now what is odd is his printers will
> > disappear from the printers and faxes window and then reappear within a
> > minute or disappearing. I have read some say to reinstall the driver but I
> > dont think it has anything to do with that since others I have read tried
> > that and had no success. This is a user who is already a pain... I figured
> > it
> > was just a "user error" like usual but who knows. Lookin to find out if
> > anyone knows anything about this. He has a new Dell desktop running
> > windows
> > XP and he has a couple printers connected to our print server. Whats odd
> > is
> > its all the printers that disappear even that default printer that is in
> > there when no other printer is there.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      12th Dec 2008
Remove the installed print drivers after removing the printer. The print
drivers are corrupting the memory of the spooler and causing it to fail.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team