Spooler Error (No Physical Printers)

=?Utf-8?B?VW5rbm93bjI=?=

      20th May 2007
Hi,
I am having a problem with my printer spooler getting an error and stopping.
I have no physical printers, however I wish to install a PDF printer (CutePDF
Writer). I have Acrobat 8 Professional installed, however I know that the
Adobe PDF printer doesn't work on Vista (yet) hence I went for CutePDF as I
have used it before.

All the solutions I could find were for physical printers so I am at a loss
(both mentally and monetary) as to what to do. I cannot find what is causing
the spooler to stop. (if I restart it then it crashes as soon as I attempt
anything that might use it) .

I am running Vista Ultimate and always install the latest updates.

Richard G. Harper

      20th May 2007
Sounds like the CutePDF printer driver isn't playing well with Vista. Have
you contacted the maker for any updates and/or a Vista compatible version?

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)

"Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am having a problem with my printer spooler getting an error and
> stopping.
> I have no physical printers, however I wish to install a PDF printer
> (CutePDF
> Writer). I have Acrobat 8 Professional installed, however I know that the
> Adobe PDF printer doesn't work on Vista (yet) hence I went for CutePDF as
> have used it before.
>
> All the solutions I could find were for physical printers so I am at a
> loss
> (both mentally and monetary) as to what to do. I cannot find what is
> causing
> the spooler to stop. (if I restart it then it crashes as soon as I attempt
> anything that might use it) .
>
> I am running Vista Ultimate and always install the latest updates.

=?Utf-8?B?VW5rbm93bjI=?=

      20th May 2007
Thanks for the reply, but no, I don't think that Cute PDF is the problem,
since the spooler crashes every time I log into windows. (I was noting
CutePDF since the other solutions I have seen involve playing with drivers,
however CutePDF is a single install file and does not have separate drivers.)
I try restarting the spooler but every time I either
a) try to install CutePDF or
b) try to access anything in the "printers" section of the control panel

It is a pain since I have no idea why the spooler stops working (Message I
get is "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed") when I don't
have any printers (or other programs that I can think of) installed on the
computer that would touch the spooler.

Anyone else have a possible solution?

(Thanks in advance)

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Sounds like the CutePDF printer driver isn't playing well with Vista. Have
> you contacted the maker for any updates and/or a Vista compatible version?
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I am having a problem with my printer spooler getting an error and
> > stopping.
> > I have no physical printers, however I wish to install a PDF printer
> > (CutePDF
> > Writer). I have Acrobat 8 Professional installed, however I know that the
> > Adobe PDF printer doesn't work on Vista (yet) hence I went for CutePDF as
> > have used it before.
> >
> > All the solutions I could find were for physical printers so I am at a
> > loss
> > (both mentally and monetary) as to what to do. I cannot find what is
> > causing
> > the spooler to stop. (if I restart it then it crashes as soon as I attempt
> > anything that might use it) .
> >
> > I am running Vista Ultimate and always install the latest updates.

=?Utf-8?B?VW5rbm93bjI=?=

      20th May 2007
Thanks for the reply, but no, I don't think that Cute PDF is the problem,
since the spooler crashes every time I log into windows. (I was noting
CutePDF since the other solutions I have seen involve playing with drivers,
however CutePDF is a single install file and does not have separate drivers,
also I have the Vista version - Their support tech advised me that the
program will not install if the spooler isn't running) I try restarting the
spooler but every time I either
a) try to install CutePDF or
b) try to access anything in the "printers" section of the control panel
It crashes again.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Sounds like the CutePDF printer driver isn't playing well with Vista. Have
> you contacted the maker for any updates and/or a Vista compatible version?
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I am having a problem with my printer spooler getting an error and
> > stopping.
> > I have no physical printers, however I wish to install a PDF printer
> > (CutePDF
> > Writer). I have Acrobat 8 Professional installed, however I know that the
> > Adobe PDF printer doesn't work on Vista (yet) hence I went for CutePDF as
> > have used it before.
> >
> > All the solutions I could find were for physical printers so I am at a
> > loss
> > (both mentally and monetary) as to what to do. I cannot find what is
> > causing
> > the spooler to stop. (if I restart it then it crashes as soon as I attempt
> > anything that might use it) .
> >
> > I am running Vista Ultimate and always install the latest updates.

Richard G. Harper

      20th May 2007
Uninstall it and see if the crashes stop. I'm betting they will and that
the CutePDF is the cause of your problems.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)

"Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply, but no, I don't think that Cute PDF is the problem,
> since the spooler crashes every time I log into windows. (I was noting
> CutePDF since the other solutions I have seen involve playing with
> drivers,
> however CutePDF is a single install file and does not have separate
> drivers.)
> I try restarting the spooler but every time I either
> a) try to install CutePDF or
> b) try to access anything in the "printers" section of the control panel
>
> It is a pain since I have no idea why the spooler stops working (Message I
> get is "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed") when I
> don't
> have any printers (or other programs that I can think of) installed on the
> computer that would touch the spooler.
>
> Anyone else have a possible solution?
>
> (Thanks in advance)
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Sounds like the CutePDF printer driver isn't playing well with Vista.
>> Have
>> you contacted the maker for any updates and/or a Vista compatible
>> version?
>>
>> --
>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> > I am having a problem with my printer spooler getting an error and
>> > stopping.
>> > I have no physical printers, however I wish to install a PDF printer
>> > (CutePDF
>> > Writer). I have Acrobat 8 Professional installed, however I know that
>> > the
>> > Adobe PDF printer doesn't work on Vista (yet) hence I went for CutePDF
>> > as
>> > have used it before.
>> >
>> > All the solutions I could find were for physical printers so I am at a
>> > loss
>> > (both mentally and monetary) as to what to do. I cannot find what is
>> > causing
>> > the spooler to stop. (if I restart it then it crashes as soon as I
>> > attempt
>> > anything that might use it) .
>> >
>> > I am running Vista Ultimate and always install the latest updates.

=?Utf-8?B?VW5rbm93bjI=?=

      20th May 2007
It isn't installed.

The program setup exits (with error -101) before it finishes installing, and
removes any files it created (I was advised that the error 101 meant that the
program could not reach the spooler.)

I cannot add physical printer either. When I go control panel > printers >
add printer I get error 0x000006be and the spooler stops.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Uninstall it and see if the crashes stop. I'm betting they will and that
> the CutePDF is the cause of your problems.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for the reply, but no, I don't think that Cute PDF is the problem,
> > since the spooler crashes every time I log into windows. (I was noting
> > CutePDF since the other solutions I have seen involve playing with
> > drivers,
> > however CutePDF is a single install file and does not have separate
> > drivers.)
> > I try restarting the spooler but every time I either
> > a) try to install CutePDF or
> > b) try to access anything in the "printers" section of the control panel
> >
> > It is a pain since I have no idea why the spooler stops working (Message I
> > get is "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed") when I
> > don't
> > have any printers (or other programs that I can think of) installed on the
> > computer that would touch the spooler.
> >
> > Anyone else have a possible solution?
> >
> > (Thanks in advance)
> >
> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds like the CutePDF printer driver isn't playing well with Vista.
> >> Have
> >> you contacted the maker for any updates and/or a Vista compatible
> >> version?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
> >> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> >> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> >> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >>

> >> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Richard G. Harper

      21st May 2007
Sounds like it's time for System Restore. Restore to a point before you
tried installing CuteFTP.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)

"Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It isn't installed.
>
> The program setup exits (with error -101) before it finishes installing,
> and
> removes any files it created (I was advised that the error 101 meant that
> the
> program could not reach the spooler.)
>
> I cannot add physical printer either. When I go control panel > printers >
> add printer I get error 0x000006be and the spooler stops.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Uninstall it and see if the crashes stop. I'm betting they will and that
>> the CutePDF is the cause of your problems.
>>
>> --
>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks for the reply, but no, I don't think that Cute PDF is the
>> > problem,
>> > since the spooler crashes every time I log into windows. (I was noting
>> > CutePDF since the other solutions I have seen involve playing with
>> > drivers,
>> > however CutePDF is a single install file and does not have separate
>> > drivers.)
>> > I try restarting the spooler but every time I either
>> > a) try to install CutePDF or
>> > b) try to access anything in the "printers" section of the control
>> > panel
>> >
>> > It is a pain since I have no idea why the spooler stops working
>> > (Message I
>> > get is "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed") when I
>> > don't
>> > have any printers (or other programs that I can think of) installed on
>> > the
>> > computer that would touch the spooler.
>> >
>> > Anyone else have a possible solution?
>> >
>> > (Thanks in advance)

Richard G. Harper

      21st May 2007
Sorry - meant use SR to restore to a point before you installed CutePDF.
Sounds like the crashed install has screwed up the spooler.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)

"Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It isn't installed.
>
> The program setup exits (with error -101) before it finishes installing,
> and
> removes any files it created (I was advised that the error 101 meant that
> the
> program could not reach the spooler.)
>
> I cannot add physical printer either. When I go control panel > printers >
> add printer I get error 0x000006be and the spooler stops.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Uninstall it and see if the crashes stop. I'm betting they will and that
>> the CutePDF is the cause of your problems.
>>
>> --
>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks for the reply, but no, I don't think that Cute PDF is the
>> > problem,
>> > since the spooler crashes every time I log into windows. (I was noting
>> > CutePDF since the other solutions I have seen involve playing with
>> > drivers,
>> > however CutePDF is a single install file and does not have separate
>> > drivers.)
>> > I try restarting the spooler but every time I either
>> > a) try to install CutePDF or
>> > b) try to access anything in the "printers" section of the control
>> > panel
>> >
>> > It is a pain since I have no idea why the spooler stops working
>> > (Message I
>> > get is "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed") when I
>> > don't
>> > have any printers (or other programs that I can think of) installed on
>> > the
>> > computer that would touch the spooler.
>> >
>> > Anyone else have a possible solution?
>> >
>> > (Thanks in advance)

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=

      1st Jun 2007
I have the same problem, It is definitely a vista problem and not a printer
problem.

I have tried to install two separate printers both from different
manufacturers. I have downloaded their drivers from the website and followed
all instructions on the websites available.

In frustration, I have even formatted the hard drive and re-installed
windows. My printers are less than four months old and there is even driver
support for installing them within windows although I have downloaded the
latest drivers, furthermore my printer has memory card ports and they work,
as does the attached scanner, it is just that, for some reason the spooler
crashes every time I try to add the printer.

This is totally unacceptable. Surely someone else is having the same
problems with this particular error message. Am I better to just revert to
XP and can I receive a refund for vista because it is clear that it simply
does not work. As a lawyer, I assume that it is part of the implied contract
for teh sale of a faulty product.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Sorry - meant use SR to restore to a point before you installed CutePDF.
> Sounds like the crashed install has screwed up the spooler.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It isn't installed.
> >
> > The program setup exits (with error -101) before it finishes installing,
> > and
> > removes any files it created (I was advised that the error 101 meant that
> > the
> > program could not reach the spooler.)
> >
> > I cannot add physical printer either. When I go control panel > printers >
> > add printer I get error 0x000006be and the spooler stops.
> >
> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> Uninstall it and see if the crashes stop. I'm betting they will and that
> >> the CutePDF is the cause of your problems.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
> >> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> >> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> >> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >>

> >> "Unknown2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0dGkgUA==?=

      26th Jun 2007
John, did you ever get your printer problem solved? I am dealing with the
same one.

Patti