Spooler crashes every few minutes

=?Utf-8?B?Qk1D?=

      17th Feb 2005
The print spooler service on a Windows XP SP2 workstation is crashing every
minute or so for no apparent reason.
The Service Control Manager logs this in the system log as event id 7031
(the service terminated unexpectedly.)
sc query spooler returns and exit code of 1067

Can anyone shed any light on what this exit code means and what might be
causing the service to crash?

Many thanks
--
BMC
Delete delete and remove remove to email

Thorsten Matzner

      17th Feb 2005
BMC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The print spooler service on a Windows XP SP2 workstation is crashing every
>minute or so for no apparent reason.
>The Service Control Manager logs this in the system log as event id 7031
>(the service terminated unexpectedly.)
>sc query spooler returns and exit code of 1067

This could be caused by malware. Scan your system with Ad-aware
(http://www.lavasoft.de) and a virus scanner.
"List of Antivirus Software Vendors"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=49500)

--
(tm)

=?Utf-8?B?Qk1D?=

      17th Feb 2005
"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> This could be caused by malware. Scan your system with Ad-aware
> (http://www.lavasoft.de) and a virus scanner.
> "List of Antivirus Software Vendors"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=49500)
>
> --
> (tm)

Thanks but there is no spyware detected by either Adaware or the MS
AntiSpyware beta on the machine. An yother ideas would be welcome.

Ron Martell

      17th Feb 2005
BMC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The print spooler service on a Windows XP SP2 workstation is crashing every
>minute or so for no apparent reason.
>The Service Control Manager logs this in the system log as event id 7031
>(the service terminated unexpectedly.)
>sc query spooler returns and exit code of 1067
>
>Can anyone shed any light on what this exit code means and what might be
>causing the service to crash?
>
>Many thanks

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your printer(s).

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

=?Utf-8?B?Qk1D?=

      18th Feb 2005
"Ron Martell" wrote:
> Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your printer(s).
>
> Good luck

I tried that. Even with no printers installed at all, it still terminiates
as before.

Thorsten Matzner

      18th Feb 2005
BMC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks but there is no spyware detected by either Adaware or the MS
>AntiSpyware beta on the machine. An yother ideas would be welcome.

What about viruses? Also scan from the Safe Mode.

--
(tm)

=?Utf-8?B?Qk1D?=

      18th Feb 2005
"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
> What about viruses? Also scan from the Safe Mode.

It's not that either, again it's something I'd already checked. There
doesn't seem to be any performance or other issues with the machine, nothing
unusual (except this) showing up in the event logs. No funny software
installed. It's very peculiar.

Cheers

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      13th Dec 2005
What is the actual error message that comes up when you try to start the
Spooler?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies, Printing & Imaging

> Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I am having the same
> problem on a fresh install of Windows XP. I didn't use to have this
> problem on this machine but I upgraded the motherboard and CPU. Old
> CPU was Athlon XP 2800+ on Asus mobo. New is Athon 64 X2 3800 on ABit
> mobo. After upgrading, I did complete new install and upgraded to SP2
> immediately. Print spooler won't run. Wiped everything clean and
> installed again. Same problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew
>

> --
> imacamper

imacamper

      13th Dec 2005

Cari \(MS-MVP\) Wrote:
> What is the actual error message that comes up when you try to start
> the
> Spooler?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Windows Technologies, Printing & Imaging
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I am having the same
> problem on a fresh install of Windows XP. I didn't use to have this
> problem on this machine but I upgraded the motherboard and CPU. Old
> CPU was Athlon XP 2800+ on Asus mobo. New is Athon 64 X2 3800 on
> ABit
> mobo. After upgrading, I did complete new install and upgraded to
> SP2
> immediately. Print spooler won't run. Wiped everything clean and
> installed again. Same problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew
>

> --
> imacamper

The spooler starts and runs for about a minute or so. Then it stops.
The event viewer shows event id 7034 and the description is "The Print
Spooler service terminated unexpectedly". Clicking on the link
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp) suggests to run "sc query
spooler" and look at "WIN32_EXIT_CODE". Here is that output:

C:\Documents and Settings\tomlinson_drsc query spooler

SERVICE_NAME: spooler
TYPE : 110 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS (interactive)
STATE : 1 STOPPED

(NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1067 (0x42b)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

Thanks for any assistance.

Drew

--
imacamper

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      14th Dec 2005
What versions of the following files are you running? (ie what are the file
dates on the files in question)

spoolsv.exe

spoolss.dll

localspl.dll

win32spl.dll

winspool.drv

Are you current with your Security Updates for Windows XP with SP2?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies, Printing & Imaging
http://www.coribright.com/windows

news:(E-Mail Removed)...