PC Review

Splitter to control 2 fans from 1 controller?

8th Jul 2005
Me again!

I've got a Coolermaster fan controller which lets me control the speed of one fan in my machine (presumably by altering the voltage supplied to it). Ideally, I'd like it to control two of my fans, they're both case fans which are next to each other. If I buy a fan splitter cable from overclockers:

Akasa AK-FY320 3 Pin Fan cable splitter (CB-013-AK)
- 3-pin female to 2 x 3-pin male

will I be able to use the controller to vary the speed of both fans? And if so (showing my blantent lack of knowledge about how electricity works) will it slow each fan down to half it's normal speed, or will they both work exactly as intended?

Thanks!

sugar 'n spikes

8th Jul 2005
They will both work together, at same speed (assuming fans are identical) from one control pot.

There is the current rating of the controller to consider, but imo two fans shouldn't overload it.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Internet Junkie

8th Jul 2005
if the fan controller can handle the combined Wattage of the fans then you'll be ok, work out the wattage by multipling the current by the voltage

so you'll have 12*the current

both fans should change speed with the fan controller

I'm out of bed and dressed, what more do you want?

I always take life with a grain of salt, ... a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out

One more step to enlightenment ... but which way ?

10th Jul 2005
I do it now, I have two 80mm exaust fans hooked to one sigle fan controller. It works just fine as long as you have a half way decent fan control. Fans are the same speed as normal, never had a problem yet. Do you really need a splitter?? all my fans have 3/4 connecter, I just hooked them together.

Self Proclaimed King of the GBA SP. Who else can watch Final Fantasy Advent Children on their GAME BOY

11th Jul 2005
Thanks for the help everybody - not entirely sure about the connectors on the fans yet as they haven't arrived! Just thought I'd check before I connect it all up.

Wannabe Webmaster

16th Jul 2005
The splitter will work fine providing you're happy controlling both of the fans speeds together.
Fan controllers however arent expensive nowadays, so if you are worried you could just get a new fan controller which normally controlls 4 single fans independantly (more in groups if you want to use splitters again). I use a cheap one from Maplin which does an excellent job, and i've even modded my CPU fans connector so that it can also be contralled via the controller on the front of the case.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: