Splitit Program make join.bat file falsely dectected as virus by AVG

Bun Mui

      4th Jul 2004
I use this program to split a large file into pieces.

http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm

However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
as virus and try to do something to it.

How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
portions of files back together.

Thanks.

Bun Mui

kurt wismer

      4th Jul 2004
Bun Mui wrote:
> I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
>
> http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
>
> However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
> as virus and try to do something to it.
>

> How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
> as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
> portions of files back together.

??? you don't want to disable the feature where avg tries to detect
viruses, you want to get the people who make avg to fix their false
alarm problem...

contact their tech support and tell them that their product is false
alarming on files created by that software...

--
"maxwell can tell he's in hell
just wants you to visit him there

BoB

      5th Jul 2004
>Bun Mui wrote:
>> I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
>>
>> http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
>>
>> However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
>> as virus and try to do something to it.
>>

>> How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
>> as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
>> portions of files back together.

I would suggest you get a different FREE splitter/joiner
program. There ARE many and better programs available. See:

http://www.pricelessware.org

BoB

Bart Bailey

      5th Jul 2004
In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)> posted on
Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:45:38 -0400, BoB wrote: Begin:

>>Bun Mui wrote:
>>> I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
>>>
>>> http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
>>>
>>> However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
>>> as virus and try to do something to it.
>>>

>>> How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
>>> as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
>>> portions of files back together.

>I would suggest you get a different FREE splitter/joiner
>program. There ARE many and better programs available. See:

That program has been around for five years, is one of the best, and the
batch file is very simple. No excuse for any AV crapware to false on it.

>http://www.pricelessware.org
>
>BoB

So a perfectly good program has to be abandoned because a faulty
definition in an AV scanner falses on it?
Sounds like, if after submission to AVG, they can't or won't fix it,
it's time for a different AV application.

--

Bart

BoB

      7th Jul 2004
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:22:37 -0700, Bart Bailey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)> posted on

>>I would suggest you get a different FREE splitter/joiner
>>program. There ARE many and better programs available. See:

>That program has been around for five years, is one of the best, and the
>batch file is very simple. No excuse for any AV crapware to false on it.
>
>>http://www.pricelessware.org
>>
>>BoB

>So a perfectly good program has to be abandoned because a faulty
>definition in an AV scanner falses on it?

The manner in which Splitit is programmed to produce .bat files is
probably why AVG suspects it. Whether they would be able to change
AVG or not, I could not guess. I would hope all four of my AVs would
alert me to programs capable of writing .bat files. None do.

>Sounds like, if after submission to AVG, they can't or won't fix it,
>it's time for a different AV application.

Avast can hold its own with AVG, if someone thinks this problem
is serious enough to dump AVG. I could see your point, Bart, if
free AVs were dime a dozen and there were not better splitters
available.

BoB

Bart Bailey

      7th Jul 2004
In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)> posted on
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:25:35 -0400, BoB wrote: Begin

>Avast can hold its own with AVG, if someone thinks this problem
>is serious enough to dump AVG. I could see your point, Bart, if
>free AVs were dime a dozen and there were not better splitters
>available.

What's a better splitter? Care to name one?
How about taking a peek at one of the join.bat files that Splitit
produces and see how harmful it could possibly be.

Basically I don't care what splitter you use, not my files at stake, nor
do I care which AV you either use or refuse to use, again, not my files
at stake.
Neither F-Prot 3.14b nor KAV 3.5.133 have falsing issues with Splitit.

--

Bart

BoB

      8th Jul 2004
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:03:35 -0700, Bart Bailey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)> posted on
>Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:25:35 -0400, BoB wrote: Begin
>
>>Avast can hold its own with AVG, if someone thinks this problem
>>is serious enough to dump AVG. I could see your point, Bart, if
>>free AVs were dime a dozen and there were not better splitters
>>available.

>What's a better splitter? Care to name one?

I checked out splitit and over a dozen others in the past five
years, but always recommend Pricelessware.org as they list the
best splitters voted by alt.comp.freeware members each year.
Priclessware covers 'all' types of freeware, not just splitters.

>How about taking a peek at one of the join.bat files that Splitit
>produces and see how harmful it could possibly be.

I use Total Commander which has its own split/join built in. I
have no doubt what so ever that Splitit is harmless. It was when
I tested it.

>Basically I don't care what splitter you use, not my files at stake, nor
>do I care which AV you either use or refuse to use, again, not my files
>at stake.
>Neither F-Prot 3.14b nor KAV 3.5.133 have falsing issues with Splitit.

I wouldn't be surprised if AVG was the only AV that false alerts
on splitit. Avast can be set to ignore anything you wish. I don't
recall AVG having this feature.

BoB

Machine Messiah

      9th Jul 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
>
> http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
>
> However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
> as virus and try to do something to it.
>

> How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
> as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
> portions of files back together.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Bun Mui

Open the .bat file with notepad before you run it. If it looks ok why
don't you just shut AVG down for the few minutes it takes to join the
files?
--
www.newromesucks.com
www.hamsterforpresident.com