"The specified path does not exist. Check the path, and then try again."

      23rd Dec 2003
I have Windows XP Home installed on an AMD Athlon 2200+
clone. I did not upgrade from previous version of
Windows.

I used this freeware app called WCPUID v3.1a. Next thing
I know, WCPUID is opening up no matter what shorcut or
application I click on. WCPUID was opening up instead of
the intended app. I deleted the WCPUID folder (since
there was not any Installer related installation at all)
and then when ever I click on a application to open it,
an error message comes up saying:

-------
path\*.exe
The specified path does not exist.

Check the path, and then try again.
-------

The "path\*.exe" is a variable for the application that
I'm trying to open (i.e. - for Windows Explorer it would
be "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe").

I just booted up to the WinXP Home CD and did a repair
installation and then downloaded all the critical updates
and latest drivers from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. The
problem is still there.

The only way I got IE to open was to right click on the
recycle bin icon on my desktop and then select Open. I
then clicked on the "up one level" button and then I
could browse my desktop contents from there. The IE
shortcut there works for some reason. If I browse to the
IE .exe in Program Files and try to open IE using that,
then I get the same error message.

Please help!

Larry(LJL269)

      23rd Dec 2003
Looks like WCPUID relaced all ur shorcuts in Program
Files with sc's 2 itself. In my book, it qualifies as
malware! Where did u get this SOB?

So u have to correct all sc's in Program Files! My
condolances. 4 alternatives(less to more work):
1- Norton Sys Works will find invaled sc's & suggest
fixes.
2- Use macro controller to automate some/all of 3
below.
3- For each sc, find app, copy location
(C:ProgramFiles/X) & paste this in Target of invaled
sc.
4-Uninstall + reinstall all apps.

HTH - Larry

|-------
|path\*.exe
|The specified path does not exist.
|
|Check the path, and then try again.
|-------

|The "path\*.exe" is a variable for the application that
|I'm trying to open (i.e. - for Windows Explorer it would
|be "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe").
|
|I just booted up to the WinXP Home CD and did a repair
|installation and then downloaded all the critical updates
|and latest drivers from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. The
|problem is still there.
|
|The only way I got IE to open was to right click on the
|recycle bin icon on my desktop and then select Open. I
|then clicked on the "up one level" button and then I
|could browse my desktop contents from there. The IE
|shortcut there works for some reason. If I browse to the
|IE .exe in Program Files and try to open IE using that,
|then I get the same error message.
|
|Please help!

Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Larry(LJL269)

      23rd Dec 2003
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:49:20 GMT, "Larry(LJL269)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|In my book, it qualifies as
|malware! Where did u get this SOB?

May have been wrong here. Google has it all over the
place, like
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...,tk,hsx,00.asp
Not much documentation tho. Does exe produce any? Some
sites had user ratings - low ratings may have had ur
problem.

HTH - Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Ron Sommer

      23rd Dec 2003
Did you try a System Restore?
I don't believe a repair install will replace the Registry.
--
Ron Sommer

news:05e401c3c924$04caefc0$(E-Mail Removed)...